U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 PM

171 posts, read 461,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
She did say she is disabled, but didn't specify the type of disability. She has a right to keep that info off the forum. Also, the OP may not need or get free room and board, but may not know of her other options.

I'm no social worker, but I just wanted to point her in the right general direction so that others could help her sort things out.

She can call and the professionals there will assist her after performing an intake and making an assessment. Recommendations would follow. That's not the type of thing that is hashed-out on a forum.
Ok, I was wrong. The OP did say they have a disability in one of the responses they made to someone. I had read it but somehow it didn't register. So, I apologize. I agree that people do not have to give details of their disability. I do wonder, though, why they didn't mention it in their first post? It might have kept some of the negative commenters at bay. May be that they have an income from SSDI/SSI but don't want to live on their own? I don't know. But to me anything like a group home or board and care type of situation would probably be worse than living at home. You might get a really, really flaky roommate and the home takes most of your money.

It just occurred to me after going over my response that maybe what this person is looking for is a board and care home. But they wouldn't have a room to themselves. I was in one when I was young. Free room and board -- if you were already on some type of disability. But my roommate was psychotic and the food was slop so I moved back home.

I do hope they can find what they're looking for, or at least something close. And who knows, maybe on the way to looking for a place to stay they will find opportunities/people they weren't even looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM

164 posts, read 204,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygals View Post
Does the state of California have any types of programs for housing like for example, if I wanted my own house with utilities paid, food paid, etc. Through a company program? I heard that some people who have seriois issues or drug problems, etc. Can be enrolled in this type of living/housing situation with everything taken care of and a low income rent as well. Is this true or false?
Yes there is a program...get off your butt and get a job! I saw your other post asking for free health care too! You're About 25 Years old..living with parents...no drivers license..what am I missing here? I don't want to subsidize lazy schleps like you....get a damn job!
When I Was your age, when I Was 18, I was busting my ass stocking shelves at a local department store, and got my own apartment..I wasn't looking for government programs or handouts. That's what's wrong with the youth These Days......that's why I'm a conservative because of people like the OP

Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
So you currently live with your parents, are about to turn 26, have no job or job skills, no education, and you want to come to California and be supported by the good taxpayers?

When 26 hits You get Cut?
exactly...what's wrong with this picture? This is why I'm against these silly handouts.....

Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
She did say she is disabled, but didn't specify the type of disability. She has a right to keep that info off the forum. Also, the OP may not need or get free room and board, but may not know of her other options.

I'm no social worker, but I just wanted to point her in the right general direction so that others could help her sort things out.

She can call and the professionals there will assist her after performing an intake and making an assessment. Recommendations would follow. That's not the type of thing that is hashed-out on a forum.
She can get a damn job like everyone else for crying out loud. 25 YO, living with parents..my parents would have beat the &^%) out of me if I tried a stunt like that!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
WOW, SIGN ME UP!!

I have been doing it all wrong these past years. I thought i had to WORK to make the cash to pay my own way and not depend on the State to take care of me!

What a mentality!!! We are doomed.

There are not going to be enough people actually working to take of the ones that want the freebies.
You read my mind!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I do have disability problems ok and I wouldn't mind living in the situation mentioned above of living in a building with other people with mental disability problems etc. If I got my own room/apartment thing thats fine with me. I have heard of these types of living/housing programs through friends and family. I have tried that Department of Rehab program and the lady that helped me did not help me at all. I have applied to work and even tried getting my driver's license but just cannot pass the written or driving test everytime I do pass either one I end up failing the whole process. And with the job applying I keep applying and no luck with getting a job, just keep getting rejected. Not sure if I am answering the assessment tests wrong or what.
Come up to ND..I will get you a job Tomorrow....what now?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
Ok, I was wrong. The OP did say they have a disability in one of the responses they made to someone. I had read it but somehow it didn't register. So, I apologize. I agree that people do not have to give details of their disability. I do wonder, though, why they didn't mention it in their first post? It might have kept some of the negative commenters at bay. May be that they have an income from SSDI/SSI but don't want to live on their own? I don't know. But to me anything like a group home or board and care type of situation would probably be worse than living at home. You might get a really, really flaky roommate and the home takes most of your money.

It just occurred to me after going over my response that maybe what this person is looking for is a board and care home. But they wouldn't have a room to themselves. I was in one when I was young. Free room and board -- if you were already on some type of disability. But my roommate was psychotic and the food was slop so I moved back home.

I do hope they can find what they're looking for, or at least something close. And who knows, maybe on the way to looking for a place to stay they will find opportunities/people they weren't even looking for.
What OP needs is to get off their butt and get a job...let's stop making excuses for this lazy moocher. OP claimed in another post to live with parents..so housing clearly isn't a problem....this person needs to get any job and stop expecting us to pay for them

Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM

77,971 posts, read 69,907,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Buffet View Post
What OP needs is to get off their butt and get a job...let's stop making excuses for this lazy moocher. OP claimed in another post to live with parents..so housing clearly isn't a problem....this person needs to get any job and stop expecting us to pay for them
OK, ok, we heard you the first time, sheez!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,369,264 times
Quote:
Well whats the program called? How do you apply, who qualifies for it?
It's a secret. You have to know the secret handshake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,369,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
... After having lived in subsidized housing for many years ....
What's wrong with you that you have lived in subsidized housing for many years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or