U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM

77,972 posts, read 69,907,126 times

Advertisements

From that list, Santa Barbara, hands down! You also might look around Marin County, north of the Bay. Beautiful setting, beaches are close, redwood forests, lots of natural beauty. Expensive, but you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,308,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COboy View Post
Hello everyone, I want to start by saying thank you for the help.

My wife and I are from Denver/Boulder area and are moving to California. I'm flexible with where we live but dream is finding something that would allow me to combine my enthusiasm for hiking in the mountains with my desire to live close to an ocean area that is swim-able (I'm ok with weatsuits ). My preference would be for the ocean to be close-ish (I've no illusions of beach front) and mountains to be within driving distance (less than 2 hours). They don't have to be huge mountains (I can get that when I come back to Boulder to visit family), just somewhere I can enjoy the outdoors and tramp around through the woods/hills. My wife and I both enjoy boating, scuba, snorkeling, swimming, hiking, rafting, martial arts, competitive shooting and jet skiing. I'm a volunteer on our County's Mtn Rescue team, and in the past I've worked fire rescue and ocean rescue and would like to volunteer where we move. We also enjoy cooking and eating out (ethnic restaurants/international cuisine) I would love a place that has a large yard as we have an outdoor kitchen here. I'm also looking to purchase some unused land within an hour driving distance (something like 25-50 acres) in a more rural area.
Thank you for your thoughts.
I would agree with Santa Barbara County and also include the Monterey County area as well. We moved from CO to Monterey ~ 5 years ago and enjoy many of outdoors activities including hiking in the local Santa Lucia coastal mountains. They are the highest coastal mountains in the lower 48. Carmel Valley would be a great place.

I think northern Santa Barbara County would be great as well:

Derek

Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 5,055 times
Wow, that's beautiful. Are there Redwood or Sequoia forests in central California near the coast, or are those all north and inland? I'm trying to convince my wife that we should rent a car and drive from Santa Barbara up to the bay and pick a spot we like

Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM

11,095 posts, read 10,137,395 times
You may find scattered redwoods around the bay area but if you really want redwood country, you have to head north, above Fort Bragg.

Your idea to rent a car is excellent. That's the best way for you to see it for yourself. While suggestions here are helpful, no one (except you) can make that final decision.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 PM

42 posts, read 63,812 times
I've known a few people who live in the Bay Area who volunteered for search and rescue in the Sierras including Yosemite including during Winter time.

It's a quicker drive to Yosemite from the Bay Area and Monterey than from most of Southern California. These guides were rock climbers including mountain climbing so they would get involved in the rescues above Yosemite Valley.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM

15,286 posts, read 17,691,842 times
You both will probably love "The Carmel Valley" (warmer then Monterey) close to Los Padres National Forest. It is best to visit there... Carmel Valley, California - carmelvalleycalifornia.com

carmel valley ca - Google Search

los padres national forest - Google Search

Old 06-27-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COboy View Post
Wow, that's beautiful. Are there Redwood or Sequoia forests in central California near the coast, or are those all north and inland? I'm trying to convince my wife that we should rent a car and drive from Santa Barbara up to the bay and pick a spot we like
Yes, in fact there are some just ~ 10 miles from Monterey/Carmel. Here is one example:

If you haven't driven the Big Sur coast yet then you've not seen the best of what California has to offer. This stretch of coastline of one of top scenic wonders of the state.

The Santa Cruz Mountains have nice redwood forests as well. Also when you live in this part of the state the drive to Sequoia NP is not that far (~3.5 hours). I was just on vacation there with family.

Derek

Old 06-27-2013, 05:47 PM

11,095 posts, read 10,137,395 times
Beautiful photos, MtnSurfer. I take back what I said about "scattered redwoods." That place is gorgeous!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Beautiful photos, MtnSurfer. I take back what I said about "scattered redwoods." That place is gorgeous!
Thanks, HereOnMars. The redwoods are just one aspect which make the Big Sur coast an awesome place to explore and enjoy. You are right in that larger groves can be found in Sequoia NP and NorCal. But there is something very special and unique about hiking through a redwood forest, then above it to see scenes like this of the pacific and rugged coast. During the Spring it is nothing short of magical.

Derek

Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,732,087 times
The Santa Barbara beach looks out at ....is that a ship....no, it's an oil rig! And then there's the tar on your feet. I love Santa Barbara, but the beach isn't so hot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sant...w=1280&bih=636

I say Santa Cruz/Scotts Valley. Either is a reasonable commute to San Jose. You leave San Jose, and in 30 minutes (depending on traffic) you go through mountains and end up at a beach. Lots of surfing in Santa Cruz. Properties with acreage in the Santa Cruz mountains, too. There have been wineries in the area for ages, too.

And no oil rigs in sight.

Santa Cruz Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look for the info on old growth redwood areas in above link, too.

I Think It’s Time To Go To Santa Cruz – August 28, 2011 | TriForce Online Triathlon Team & Coaching

Swimming at Santa Cruz above and below.

Slug swim team braves cold, jellies in eighth annual bay crossing - UC Santa Cruz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or