Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 6,342 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I want to start by saying thank you for the help.

My wife and I are from Denver/Boulder area and are moving to California. I'm flexible with where we live but dream is finding something that would allow me to combine my enthusiasm for hiking in the mountains with my desire to live close to an ocean area that is swim-able (I'm ok with weatsuits ). My preference would be for the ocean to be close-ish (I've no illusions of beach front) and mountains to be within driving distance (less than 2 hours). They don't have to be huge mountains (I can get that when I come back to Boulder to visit family), just somewhere I can enjoy the outdoors and tramp around through the woods/hills. My wife and I both enjoy boating, scuba, snorkeling, swimming, hiking, rafting, martial arts, competitive shooting and jet skiing. I'm a volunteer on our County's Mtn Rescue team, and in the past I've worked fire rescue and ocean rescue and would like to volunteer where we move. We also enjoy cooking and eating out (ethnic restaurants/international cuisine) I would love a place that has a large yard as we have an outdoor kitchen here. I'm also looking to purchase some unused land within an hour driving distance (something like 25-50 acres) in a more rural area.

About us: We have no children. We have aspirations for getting a dog My wife works in law enforcement and her salary is ~50k/yr (though similar positions in CA look like they are 50-70k). I will be making 250k/year, this is likely to increase by ~50% over 10 years...though its possible it could increase more than that. We currently have 100k saved up for down payment and are planning on staying in a small apt. for 6 months or longer to save more and find the perfect spot. Our philosophy in life is that we both enjoy our work immensely, however, quality of life outside of work with each other is paramount.

Places we've been looking (online): San Diego, Carlsbad, and Santa Barbara County in Southern California. Monterey/Santa Cruz region in Central/Northern California. We didn't look much further north of that as we desire a mild climate and nice water. I've visited friends in Carmel and I've visited San Diego about a dozen times, otherwise my only other experience in CA is business trips to LA. From that I know I'd like to avoid LA .

Thank you for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Do you work at home? If not, where would you be working?
What is your expected housing budget when it is time to purchase?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM

I work in the medical profession. ~2 days/week in hospital, variable meetings, work from home 2-3 days/week. From colleagues in California I don't anticipate difficulty finding a position within 45 min drive of the areas listed. My wife is open to working in any department that is hiring lateral transfers (most CA depts do year round).

I'm anticipating housing price range of 800k-1.5m.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Diving up and down the state I find I like the northern beaches better. And abalone is legal game up there. North of the bay you can find very reasonable property close to the beach. Mendocino will give you very moderate temps thru the year, hottest days in August Sept might reach 78.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 AM

I haven't looked in that area...it might be too far from a population center; I suppose something close to Santa Rosa could be possible though I'd have to re-investigate job possibilities. Pictures look beautiful.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 PM

37,126 posts, read 42,189,292 times
You really have to nail down the job first because you are all over the map and the base location means everything. It's really too huge of a state to talk details at this point.

I understand you don't think there will be a problem job wise anywhere you want but nothing is sure until it's sure and even then it's not. It doesn't matter WHAT you do for a living.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:30 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
You should look into San Luis Obispo County.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM

So far I've gotten offers from San Jose, San Diego (one north, one central), Santa Barbara, Irvine, Salinas, and have gotten an expression of interest (pending funding availability) from Santa Maria and Carlsbad. The salary is roughly the same +/- some benefits, none of which are more important to me than location.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
I've lived in Santa Barbara, Carlsbad, and Capitola (Santa Cruz).
Santa Barbara, hands down.
Just go and visit and see for yourself.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,223 times
I second Santa Barbara from that list (assuming, as you said, the money will be there to afford you the expense of living well in SB).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California