Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 PM

493 posts, read 778,566 times

Advertisements

i'm simply trying to apply logic and principle to the reprecussions of the scotus's decision today. once again, ill invite you posters who are missing the point to read the article that the OP linked. after reading with a critcial eye, maybe then we can talk about the matters that were dealt with, instead of the emotions that have been vented thus far.

Last edited by CousinMaynard; 06-26-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Your posts speak volumes about your ability to respond to the issue. Rather than doing that, you'd rather talk about the posts and the people posting them. Keep going.
and your posts are a great reminder to me why i think this forum needs an "ignore user" feature.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
and your posts are a great reminder to me why i think this forum needs an "ignore user" feature.
It has one genius!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Funny, isn't it? As soon as the Supreme Court tells you states-rights Republicans that gay marriage is a states-rights issue, the system is broken because your views lost?

no not at all, i know it could be hard to imagine, but ive been on the losing side of things enough to learn how deal with not getting my way.

but if the supreme court is going to tell us its a states right thing, then neither the appointed, guay judge who retired the week after overturning prop 8, nor any other judge should not be able to rule state law unconstitutional if the ppl themselves are not going to be able to appeal it to our highest court, when the state refuses to hold up its end of the bargain.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 PM

485 posts, read 866,348 times
Quote:
just to recap

Us "Yes on 8" voters have had our votes taken away by activist judges, our state government is openly defying the will of the people, and the supreme court has just ruled thats its ok by them that citizens have no voice. wasnt there a big movement in the american south to fight anti democratic powers that be?

the large minority turnout in 2008 has even been attributed to putting 8 over the top. maybe next time those "minorities" (kind of stupid to still be saying that, as there is no majority in california) they should check with their liberal elite puppet masters, who purport to represent them so often, so as to make sure theyre voting the correct way next time around

i'd argue that those celebrating such travesties have a lot more in common with those who favored jim crow and segregation than theyd ever be willing to admit, as the principles appear eerily similar, despite their opposing politics.
Your "Yes on 8" votes were unconstitutional in the first place, so of course it's being taken away. And I'm glad it is. The SCOTUS did their job.

And Judge Vaughn Walker stated best in his decision in 2010:

"That the majority of California voters supported Proposition 8 is irrelevant, as “fundamental rights may not be submitted to [a] vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections.” West Virginia State Board of Education v Barnette, 319 US 624, 638 (1943)"

Our fundamental rights...your rights, my rights, anyone's rights...are not subjected to a vote.

Our state government was openly defying what was unconstitutional, so the will of the people is irrelevant. Yes, citizens have no voice if what they want is unconstitutional. The travesty is that there are people like you who support blatant discrimination and inequality. I hope you will begin to realize there shouldn't even have been a "Yes on 8" vote in the first place.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
i'm simply trying to apply logic and principle to the reprecussions of the scotus's decision today. ....
Ah, the old "logic" thing again ... seems like about the 4th or 5th time in just the past few days I have read someone claiming the rights of "logic". Here's the thing about logic: it is a science, mathematical-like in its precision and immutability ... a classical subject since the golden age of ancient Greece ... still a formal path of study in philosophy. There are rules and systems to learn and follow to determine the truth of conclusions. Before you claim that "logic" has been your guide, I suggest you learn about what 'logic' entails / requires.

Quote:
... ive been on the losing side of things enough to learn how deal with not getting my way...
Being consistently, or even often, "on the losing side of things" is a sign Cousin ... something to ponder at length ...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful (12*PT) Rack View Post
CousinMaynard, Gentoo is one of the few people on the board that uses some humour sometimes. Don't ignore him.
Well thank you very much for the kind words

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,965,210 times
Quote:
but if the supreme court is going to tell us its a states right thing, then neither the appointed, guay judge who retired the week after overturning prop 8, nor any other judge should not be able to rule state law unconstitutional if the ppl themselves are not going to be able to appeal it to our highest court, when the state refuses to hold up its end of the bargain.
The state DID hold up its end of the bargain. And the people DID appeal it to the highest court....who looked at it and agreed, both liberal and conservative, that the ruling body here was the court that invalidated Prop 8 in the first place as unconstitutional.

Discriminate against gay people all you like, Maynard, but please stop trying to pretend that you're appalled at the judicial system for doing quite literally exactly what we, the people, installed them to do.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ah, the old "logic" thing again ... seems like about the 4th or 5th time in just the past few days I have read someone claiming the rights of "logic". Here's the thing about logic: it is a science, mathematical-like in its precision and immutability ... a classical subject since the golden age of ancient Greece ... still a formal path of study in philosophy. There are rules and systems to learn and follow to determine the truth of conclusions. Before you claim that "logic" has been your guide, I suggest you learn about what 'logic' entails / requires.

Being consistently, or even often, "on the losing side of things" is a sign Cousin ... something to ponder at length ...
...and that's a rep

Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
The state DID hold up its end of the bargain. And the people DID appeal it to the highest court....who looked at it and agreed, both liberal and conservative, that the ruling body here was the court that invalidated Prop 8 in the first place as unconstitutional.

Discriminate against gay people all you like, Maynard, but please stop trying to pretend that you're appalled at the judicial system for doing quite literally exactly what we, the people, installed them to do.
Interesting that judge Scalia and one other conservative voted with the "liberal" side and Sotomayor with the "conservative" side. That tells me that one really can't accuse this court of being one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California