U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 04:26 PM

16,439 posts, read 22,380,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think it's a gated community where liberals live and try to convince themselves they're just regular folk like the lower, middle class and not like conservatives.
The people I've always known who live in such areas aren't necessarily liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 05:17 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,506,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The people I've always known who live in such areas aren't necessarily liberal.
Oh, I know that. But a twisted sense of humor is also a terrible thing to waste. But shooting4life has it right. HOAs are probably the "finest" form of nanny government and they've gone national. It's hard to escape them.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:45 PM

16,439 posts, read 22,380,230 times
Quote:
Oh, I know that. But a twisted sense of humor is also a terrible thing to waste. But shooting4life has it right. HOAs are probably the "finest" form of nanny government and they've gone national. It's hard to escape them.
Well I'm with you there. I hate the idea of HOA's. I remember talking about that before here some time back.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:58 PM

17,579 posts, read 10,646,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well I'm with you there. I hate the idea of HOA's. I remember talking about that before here some time back.
The best type of HOA? Innactiove. Twice now lived in developments where there was no HOA formed and none needed, even though the development was set up with one. Deeded the streets to the city and owned no common property.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,373,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Well, that and the large police force that we pay handsomely to protect us.

I am not sure.. We had a break in and they didn't even bother to show up. They told me they didn't have evidence or time to convict. They never dusted for prints, took statements or any detective work. We found some evidence they left behind.

I suspect the police are always behind the actual commitment of the crimes.. And, they can sure draw a great chalk outline around your deceased body.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 AM

96 posts, read 176,360 times
You are only going to get good answers to this question from people who have lived for a long time in multiple states. I grew up in California, and lived for 10 years in Boston. Before moving to New Mexico, so I know my nanny states.

1. Guns. Hate guns do you? Ever been the victim of domestic violence? Ever had to take a night class in a bad area or carry a large sum of money to the bank at night? Also, recreation. Its fun to shoot a machine gun or target practice in your back yard with an air gun.

2. Taxes and cost of living. It adds up. I probably live better than a lot of people working in silicon valley at Google, and I get 9 weeks of vacation a year.

3. Miscellaneous nanny laws. There are so many on the books in California, I don't know where to start. You can't tint your windows, put a GPS on your windshield, supercharge your sports car. No radar detectors. Move over or get a ticket when you pass a cop. No alcohol on the beach. Get your car smoged. Wear a helmet. Register your guns, lock them up. Maybe I want a damn plastic bag once in a while?? Environmental review laws, permit laws, carbon tax laws.....it goes on and on and on and on.

The NIMBYism is out of control, too. Air guns are now banned even in rural areas and off road trails are being shut down left and right. They couldn't even build a solar plant in San Diego or run the trolley to UCSD!

4. Cultural norms. I don't want my kids to get suspended or go to jail for accidentally bringing nail clippers to their 4th grade class. I don't want my kids to grow up thinking public unions that provide vital services like BART are a good thing, especially when they strike. Culture impacts freedom a lot. I want the freedom to NOT be politically correct, question authority and be skeptical of government--not to be a mindless lemming.

5. Jobs. CA isn't as great as the media obsession with Facebook would have you believe. Compared to other industries, these companies employ very few people. Unfortunately, aerospace left California starting in 1990, and is now completely gone. Good for you if you get life satisfaction from improving the Poke feature as Zuckerburg's ***** with your Stanford CS degree. Some of us want to do something significant and useful with our lives. A lot of the R&D is not in CA anymore, but scattered around the country or in Massachusetts.

When I lived in MA and CA, I constantly had the fear in the back of my head that there was a law I was mistakenly violating. Its almost impossible to comply with the sheer volume of rules and regs in these states. But I learned that people there actually gain comfort knowing the government is watching and controlling everything. Me? I prefer freedom. Its a personal choice.

I hardly ever go to the beach when I visit, except to go for a walk nowadays. There is a nice ski slope where I live at 11,000 feet literally 15 minutes from my home and work. Unless you're a dedicated beach bum, I see little appeal to the cost of living there in CA. I have many friends who would never leave California, even if they got laid off. They have also never lived anywhere else before.

But having said all of this, its the people. The hands down worst part of California is the traffic, the lines and the scarce housing. California was great for my parents, but its not the golden state anymore. Its a big, dirty, high tax, crowded, gritty state like New York to 99% of the population who doesn't live in Malibu. Times change, but public opinion is slow to catch up.

Last edited by abqcd; 07-01-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 AM

17,579 posts, read 10,646,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqcd View Post

But having said all of this, its the people. The hands down worst part of California is the traffic, the lines and the scarce housing. California was great for my parents, but its not the golden state anymore. Its a big, dirty, high tax, crowded, gritty state like New York to 99% of the population who doesn't live in Malibu. Times change, but public opinion is slow to catch up.
CA still has two things going for it.

1. Low Humidity
2. Great weather along the coast

That is about it. Scenic yes, if you have the time or money to drive all over the State, but virtually every State has scenery someone enjoys. Parks, yep, but again time and money to drive to them and every State has Parks. I couldn't believe the beautiful spot I found in Oklhoma when visiting there. For thosee with money it can be the best place, for the average guy it is expensive, hectic, crowded and ... well enjoy it while you can.

Are there less crowded places, less expensive places in CA, yep, but scarce jobs, etc limit who can live there.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,793,293 times
Quote:
It's hard to escape them.

Not in South Fontucky it ain't...

Old 07-01-2013, 04:46 PM

211 posts, read 270,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
CA still has two things going for it.

1. Low Humidity
2. Great weather along the coast

That is about it. Scenic yes, if you have the time or money to drive all over the State, but virtually every State has scenery someone enjoys. Parks, yep, but again time and money to drive to them and every State has Parks. I couldn't believe the beautiful spot I found in Oklhoma when visiting there. For thosee with money it can be the best place, for the average guy it is expensive, hectic, crowded and ... well enjoy it while you can.

Are there less crowded places, less expensive places in CA, yep, but scarce jobs, etc limit who can live there.
What it means is that there is scenery throughout the state, and like most of the West, the scenery is quite a bit more dramatic than the East, are there cute places on Oklahoma or Kentucky? Yes, but are there places that leave you stunned? Nah.

If driving from your residence to a place of beauty costs too much, would you not say you made a terrible career choice? A community I was associated with, emptied every December when the citizens went to, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, France, to ski. One could say they made better career choices than one who finds driving to the Angeles Forest, or Point Dume, too darned expensive.

This is a good one;
Quote:
but scarce jobs, etc limit who can live there
Yep, darn tootin' limited to 35,000,000 or so, moving towards, 40,000,000.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,506,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Not in South Fontucky it ain't...
People live in South Fontucky, and own their homes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or