Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM

155 posts, read 309,591 times

Advertisements

Cambria
Solvang
Monterey
Carmel
Big Sur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 PM

8,174 posts, read 16,562,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
So many great suggestions! It's going to be a tough decision. The wedding is next May. Thanks, guys. I got a lot of research to do! I'm leaning towards Santa Barbara, Yosemite, or Tahoe.

We want to move to CA, so perhaps well just do the whole Honeymoon in CA and explore a few different places (he has family in LA, I've never been though).
I missed the part about family in LA. I grew in LA County along the coast and can recommend some great spots to visit while down there.

One of my wife and I's favorite places to go on a date was the Hollywood Bowl and catch live music under the stars. You can bring in a picnic basket, wine, or whatever you like. Then listen to the live music. From where we lived in Torrance they even had a bus that would pick us up and shuttle us to the The Bowl. That's a really enjoyable experience while in LA.

Manhattan, Hermosa, and Torrance beaches are some of the nicest to visit while in the LA area. They are less touristy than Santa Monica, Venice, and Malibu and more scenic IMO:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-04-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
I don't know how you get those photos! When I try to take photos like those waves/foam on the beach, they don't look like anything. Note to Self: Take photography classes someday...

Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know how you get those photos! When I try to take photos like those waves/foam on the beach, they don't look like anything. Note to Self: Take photography classes someday...
Thanks, Ruth. It's been a hobby of mine now for ~ 12 years. During that time I never took a class. But that's not to say there isn't value in them. I just did a lot of reading online, photography forums mainly, as well as reading books on the subject. Mostly I just went out and experimented. Then I found asking questions on the forums to really help. The most important factor to improving one's photography IMO is desire to learn and grow. I've taught my 12 y/o son to shoot and he does great job.

Derek

Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 PM

409 posts, read 480,970 times
Madrona Manor in Healdsburg, which is in Sonoma County. Lots of wineries and very pretty area.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 PM

409 posts, read 480,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Boron --home of the TwentyMule Team Folks
Coalinga--Harris Ranch is near there
Ventucopa--miles from nowhere--can lie on the highway safely

I am waiting for someone to chime in with a few other choice California towns as destinations...wouldn't want to take away their thunder. ")
We just drove across country and went through Boron. I kept thinking who would choose to live here? It's so desolate and in the summer months so hot and dry. I know lots of people like the desert, but I just don't see the appeal.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
We just drove across country and went through Boron. I kept thinking who would choose to live here? It's so desolate and in the summer months so hot and dry. I know lots of people like the desert, but I just don't see the appeal.
For some people the desert, Palm Springs, Death Valley, etc... is heaven even with high triple digit temps during the Summer. Though I would imagine for most who enjoy the desert Summer is not their favorite time to go. Death Valley almost broke an all time record recently for the hottest day recorded.

BBC News - Death Valley: Hot enough to fry an egg?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,914,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I missed the part about family in LA. I grew in LA County along the coast and can recommend some great spots to visit while down there.

One of my wife and I's favorite places to go on a date was the Hollywood Bowl and catch live music under the stars. You can bring in a picnic basket, wine, or whatever you like. Then listen to the live music. From where we lived in Torrance they even had a bus that would pick us up and shuttle us to the The Bowl. That's a really enjoyable experience while in LA.

Manhattan, Hermosa, and Torrance beaches are some of the nicest to visit while in the LA area. They are less touristy than Santa Monica, Venice, and Malibu and more scenic IMO:

Derek
His family's in Hermosa. It looks lovely, and he wants to move there. Me? I DESPISE traffic and crowds. The thought of LA gives me cramps...lol

Old 07-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
His family's in Hermosa. It looks lovely, and he wants to move there. Me? I DESPISE traffic and crowds. The thought of LA gives me cramps...lol
You're kidding! Hermosa is my hometown. I went to grade school in Hermosa (North School) and Mira Costa HS which is in Manhattan Beach.

We still love the South Bay and if we had to live in LA County that's where we would move back to, probably Torrance which is better for families overall. However after living there the majority of our lives the crowd situation got too much for us as well. We needed a change, more wide open spaces, more nature, green, less traffic, etc... So we are loving the Monterey area now as do our kids who where all born in the South Bay as well.

Derek

Old 07-06-2013, 02:57 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,914,273 times
Yes, Monterey looks like Heaven to me, though I worry about cloudy cool weather. I have reactive arthritis and it can really be a bugger in that type of weather. I wonder if the lower dew points might help, though. If not for my honeymoon, I do plan to visit one day.

There has always been something romantic to me about Monterey. It looks like home to me, even though I've never been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California