Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM

591 posts, read 820,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
You're from Arizona and came to a California forum to tell us you like Arizona more than California? Really? Guess I better mosey on over to the North Dakota forum for some postin'.
Well, Arizona received an honorable mention in the title of this thread, so I responded and, in so doing, provided y'all with my honest opinion.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 04:40 AM

162 posts, read 319,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Porterville:
My home town. I live here because the foothills and mountains are beautiful and they're not overrun with people. The weather sucks in the summer, but is pretty nice the rest of the year.

Damn, that is nice. I spent a couple nights in Tulare in 2010.....I loved the area....NO Traffic!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Nevada and Arizona do not have a better economy. Perhaps more minimum wage jobs.
But they do have a lower cost of living, which off sets the min wage situation. There is more to living someplace based on economy than just the salary one can or does make.

Now to the OP: I probably would not choose the IE if I had the choices you mention, but remember there are a lot of people that are die in the wool Californians they wouldn't leave come Hell or High water. Of course if a person was raised in Calif. has family there and a job they enjoy I can understand not wanting to move. If they move to IE when they could be living in some similar area with a lower cost of living, I don't understand it either.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Maybe they don't want to live where it snows. As proven in the last couple of weeks, the heat doesn't seem to be a deciding factor.
My, I bet a lot of people would like to know how much snow they get in most of Texas, most of AZ and most of southern NV?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But they do have a lower cost of living, which off sets the min wage situation. There is more to living someplace based on economy than just the salary one can or does make.

Now to the OP: I probably would not choose the IE if I had the choices you mention, but remember there are a lot of people that are die in the wool Californians they wouldn't leave come Hell or High water. Of course if a person was raised in Calif. has family there and a job they enjoy I can understand not wanting to move. If they move to IE when they could be living in some similar area with a lower cost of living, I don't understand it either.
Interesting. If a lower COL offsets a minimum wage situation for someone comparing locations -- they are pretty much just, well, "offsetting" ... which is not "improving" one over the other.

I certainly couldn't agree more with your observation, however, that there is more to living than just the salary one can make ... or wait, that isn't quite how you put it ...

Gotta admit I am scratching my head over this one though:
Quote:
If they move to IE when they could be living in some similar area with a lower cost of living, I don't understand it either.
Beside the fact that the COL in the IE is pretty low, didn't you just contradict yourself about there being more to life than just comparative economics?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM

103 posts, read 274,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Stuck how? They haven't removed your free will, have they?
No, but my job is here and I don't have any money saved to move. Once I have enough money saved then I'll consider where I might go and make a move.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My, I bet a lot of people would like to know how much snow they get in most of Texas, most of AZ and most of southern NV?
They should find out before moving there. Like those who move to the pnw only to discover they can't handle the heavy rain or gray days nine months out of the year.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:09 AM

3 posts, read 9,242 times
Inland empire rocks... Rancho Cucamonga.. It is expensive but you can still have white picket fences and horses, great place for kids. Everything is around family but commute is terrible and no jobs close by.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
I moved out of Riverside because it was getting too crowded, traffic was insane, and most of all it had lost the 'feel' of being laid back it had when we moved there twenty years before. And the smog.... I walked a block and was gasping. Here we get mild pollution, mainly lately a high mold count, but the sky is BLUE and there isn't any grey smudge at all. If there were mountains, I could see them. I moved to Oklahoma because I visited a friend and felt like home. And it is much cheaper to live here and 'traffic' only happens when there is a slow polk going down the two lane highway.

We find what we want. This is what I wanted. I loved Riverside when we first came but didn't recognize it when I left.

We had wanted to move to norcal but the money wasn't there to buy, and that was what mattered.

If any of you like the IE then I'm glad for you. We all deserve to find a place we want to be.

I mention Oklahoma since California is providing the largest inflow of new population to this state, and it has been rising. Wouldn't touch Texas....

Old 08-08-2013, 02:54 PM

162 posts, read 319,055 times
They do get snow....But PA is a good choice to live cheap and there is work if you are able bodied
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California