Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:01 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Have you driven on the freeways recently? California is overpopulated already. Whatever though, unless you belong to one of the indigenous tribes every one of us intruded upon people who did not want us here. Either adapt (as I did), leave (as many of my friends did) or die angry and bitter (like my neighbor across the street).
Lol...California in a nutshell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 04:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
How many people is enough?

A path to citizenship for illegal immigrants may be a reality sooner or later. This will probably add millions more when their family comes.

This country also surprisingly allows more LEGAL immigrants per year then the rest of the world combined. I'd guess many land in CA. I don't see birth rates slowing down.

Overpopulation effects everyone's QOL and drains resources.

Discuss.
You appear to buy into the Malthusian Horror. I suppose that years ago, it did seem like population would continue to rise indefinitely. How wrong that was. When the effect of immigration is removed, the US is below replacement. All of Europe, most of Asia, and surprising chunks of the rest of the world are at or below replacement. Even Mexico now struggles with fecundity, the upcoming generation has very little interest in having children. 20 years from now, people are not going to be talking about population growth. They will be talking about deflation.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
There will be newcomers, but some existing people will leave also. California is not what it used to be.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Don't expect to get any intelligent conversation here.
Thank you for so perfectly proving your own point.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
How many people is enough?

A path to citizenship for illegal immigrants may be a reality sooner or later. This will probably add millions more when their family comes.

This country also surprisingly allows more LEGAL immigrants per year then the rest of the world combined. I'd guess many land in CA. I don't see birth rates slowing down.

Overpopulation affects everyone's QOL and drains resources.

Discuss.
This issue has been discussed to death. Japan is the same size as California but has more than 3X the population. I am not in favor of illegal immigration or sweeping amnesty programs...but overpopulation is not our real problem. It's mismanagement of resources.

By the way, birth rates ARE slowing down throughout the world. Mexico's fertility rate has dropped like a rock (down to 2.28 kids per woman) and is now close to the U.S. level of 1.89. Of course, most immigrants from Mexico are poor, and poor people tend to have more kids, unforunately.

World Development Indicators - Google Public Data Explorer

In fact, despite all the screaming about overpopulation, low birth rates are actually a much bigger problem in developed countries, and many developing countries like Mexico are fast approaching the fertility rates of developed countries or are already there (such as Brazil & Chile). We're already at the point in the developed world where there are too many old people and not enough young people to support them.

http://www.weather.com/lifestyle/pets/replacing-kids-with-pets-20130214

Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
California is not what it used to be.
No place is "what it used to be."

Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Yeah right. Not with possible amnesty around the corner. Why would they? This is all over Mexican radio I've read and people are heading to the border towns.

Much of those legal immigrants settle in California.

As someone who's spent a lot of time in the Bay Area and SoCal, I can tell you this state feels like it's packed to the brim with people. It's manageable enough now, but if the population grows by more then 2-3% a year then that's not good for anyone. If you lived elsewhere in the state then you probably wouldn't understand.

Always gonna be empty space. But adding thousands more to the bigger cities with limited space/resources is not good

You might be right
Why would the Mexican illegals stop coming? ... and even those here start returning home? As I said, you need to stay up on current events: the Mexican economy is improving rapidly and there is more and more legal opportunity to do better there, close to home and family. Google the issue and educate yourself.

I lived in S. Calif., central valley, and Bay area... 7 or 8 different addresses between them, mostly Bay area. The population back then, when I was permanent and full time state resident, was literally half what it is today. Now I am part-timer. And, funny thing is, none of the places I loved back 45 years ago are much more crowded today than they were -- including the city of SF.

Of course, the surrounding Bay area communities have exploded with growth, as has all of coastal southern CA, and it's obnoxious ... but I didn't spend hardly any time or energy outside the city until way back into the hinterlands anyway. And so I find my time in California reasonably close to the same paradise I enjoyed in the late 60's. The aggravation is only in driving through the metro growth districts to get to where I love.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I lived in S. Calif., central valley, and Bay area... 7 or 8 different addresses between them, mostly Bay area. The population back then, when I was permanent and full time state resident, was literally half what it is today. Now I am part-timer. And, funny thing is, none of the places I loved back 45 years ago are much more crowded today than they were -- including the city of SF.

Of course, the surrounding Bay area communities have exploded with growth, as has all of coastal southern CA, and it's obnoxious ... but I didn't spend hardly any time or energy outside the city until way back into the hinterlands anyway. And so I find my time in California reasonably close to the same paradise I enjoyed in the late 60's. The aggravation is only in driving through the metro growth districts to get to where I love.
Would that it was my experience as well. The place I was raised and loved bears little resemblance to what it was in the 50s-60s. More's the pity. When my wife and I married in 1996 she wanted to see it and I obliged. We won't be back.

Fortunately for others, many places have experienced little growth and change both in CA and elsewhere.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,439 times
I'm fortunate to say I live in Mariposa County. The county is east of Merced and Fresno in the California Gold Country. The county has a stable population of 18,000 residents and the transient populations varies since Mariposa is a gateway community to Yosemite. Why do I mention this, because there are still locations in California that are pristine and offer an exceptional quality of life. BTW.. The county prides itself for not having one traffic light in the entire county.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Would that it was my experience as well. The place I was raised and loved bears little resemblance to what it was in the 50s-60s. More's the pity. When my wife and I married in 1996 she wanted to see it and I obliged. We won't be back.

Fortunately for others, many places have experienced little growth and change both in CA and elsewhere.
Heh ... yeah, you lived OC, right? Then Sacramento. Some of the places I lived back when have grown a lot, and unpleasantly so ... but I didn't like them 40 years ago either ... talking the central valley / Fresno area ... Fresno was a seriously sleepy little mini-city ... and I didn't like it. I have driven through in recent years and it is completely changed ... exploded ... and still sucks.

And I didn't like much about southern CA either.

I love the central coast ... Monterey Bay, Big Sur country, to Morro Bay, to Santa Barbara ... I love San Francisco city ... I love the Russian River and Bodega Bay ... and everything north ... the Delta and mountains, too. Not much change. Of my old history, Monterey has grown substantially, yet still a pretty small city with much remaining beauty and character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California