U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM

105 posts, read 255,952 times

Advertisements

I live in Pine Mountain Club. You could definitely find a decent place for $100k as long as you aren't expecting more than 1000-ish square feet. It's a small simple town that is out in the boonies and the majority is white, but I wouldn’t consider it a "hick town" in the sense that you use it. The population is primarily comprised of the retired, telecommuters and young families that came from a city. I have a few Asian friends here and they have never mentioned encountering discrimination.

The hospital is far and that is somewhat concerning. However, our local fire dept has a paramedic or two and they are very quick to respond to emergencies. There is also a helicopter pad at the fire station for when critically injured need to be airlifted out. For doctor's appointments we drive down to Santa Clarita and run any additional aarons that we need to do while down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM

3,220 posts, read 4,715,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
I guess you haven't seen the threads here that are basically racist rants about immigration.
Put the shoe on the other foot and switch the races in the O.P.'s original post around (white retirees, mostly Asian town - like in HI). How does it sound from that perspective?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:09 PM

483 posts, read 1,072,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Put the shoe on the other foot and switch the races in the O.P.'s original post around (white retirees, mostly Asian town - like in HI). How does it sound from that perspective?
Like one of the racist rants about immigration on this forum.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,423,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Sorry, that's borderline insulting. Good luck with your search.
Don't judge unless you're a minority who's had to pass through a hick town before.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,960,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Don't judge unless you're a minority who's had to pass through a hick town before.
Right. She wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't a real issue.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,141,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs333 View Post
My parents (in their 60s) are looking to buy a cheap (~$100K-maybe $125K max) place to retire to. They currently live in South OC.

Things they're looking for:
-Safe (as in low crime)
-Cooler weather vs warmer (snow is fine, 90 degree+ summers not as much)
-Not a hick-town (they're Asian and do not want to be in a place where they're made to feel uncomfortable)

As to the last point, because it could be controversial, there are places even in California where people have apparently never seen a non-Caucasian person before from the reactions you get. I'd just want them to be able to live where they don't have to live with that all the time.

A couple places they're considering are:
Pine Mountain Club (90 mins north of LA) - but the distance from the nearest real hospital (60 miles) concerns me, they're in good health now but if they're going to retire, I'd think it's better to be closer than 60 miles to a hospital.
Crestline or places around Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear Lake

Any other suggestions? They're open to other states but since their children are in California (me in NorCal, the other in SoCal), they'd like to be closer than farther.
At that price point, the places that are not 90+% white are going to be a large % Latino. I doubt your parents would feel very comfortable. Herein lies the conflict in goals. Places where there is good acceptance of Asians tend to be more pricey, at least within CA. The few communities like Pine Mountain Club are going to be about it for CA, at that price point. If I were your folks I'd be looking into OR and WA, specifically places with more of an Asian presence that are close enough to the big cities to still have good services. Or, accept living somewhere that is hot in the summer.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 PM

273 posts, read 368,331 times
Grass Valley/Nevada City
Weaverville
Oroville
Paradise

Other possibilities--Shingletown, McKinleyville, Fortuna

Old 07-08-2013, 09:22 PM

12,289 posts, read 7,962,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Can I judge being a white minority driving through many black, Hispanic and Asian towns? Maybe I should use some racial expletives like you have?

Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM

11,191 posts, read 10,210,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
Grass Valley/Nevada City
Weaverville
Oroville
Paradise

Other possibilities--Shingletown, McKinleyville, Fortuna
Those are good possibilities. Places north of Mendocino do have areas that are affordable but the weather isn't as nice as the southern part of the state. Want nice coastal weather? You're going to pay for it. Location, location, location.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM

35,182 posts, read 32,161,514 times
Ya, I don't think putting them in a small town is going to help them hide from whitey. 100k? Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or