U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:13 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,798,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, I know folks who have lived in them for many years and they are still functioning fine. So if someone is retiring and only has ~100K to spend its a good option, especially in nicer areas nearer their families which they couldn't typically afford to live in. However if you can't get past 'manufactured' and want a stick built house the first one I posted above in Santa Rosa is that. But for many folks at retirement age buying a home as an investment isn't the highest priority. Rather livability, proximity to family, decent weather, good medical services, etc... become more important factors. Of course if you can have both its always a bonus.

Derek
^^^ agreed 100%.
And, for what it's worth, manufactured homes' durability is a function of maintenance -- and exposure to disasters. If not exposed to forest fire, earthquake, hurricane damage and the like, they will last as well as they are cared for. A site-built stick frame home will take more abuse generally speaking. But, for many retirees -- as opposed to families with a tribe of wild savages for children playing hockey in the living and dining room (as my four did ) -- a mfg. home can last just as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,202,062 times
I've seen the inside of some manufactured homes (the newer ones) and they are better looking than stick built. Sheetrock walls and modern appliances. I'd certainly live in one without hesitation. People need to educate themselves as to the difference between a mobile (with axles) and manufactured (factory built modular). Older mobile homes that haven't been updated are like sardine cans. You can't keep them warm and you can't keep them cool. Times have changed and so have manufactured homes.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 3 days ago)

5,504 posts, read 12,355,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I've seen the inside of some manufactured homes (the newer ones) and they are better looking than stick built. Sheetrock walls and modern appliances. I'd certainly live in one without hesitation. People need to educate themselves as to the difference between a mobile (with axles) and manufactured (factory built modular). Older mobile homes that haven't been updated are like sardine cans. You can't keep them warm and you can't keep them cool. Times have changed and so have manufactured homes.
Yep, I've stayed in those old rattle traps before and there is a huge difference between them and the more modern manufactured homes.

One exception to this are the classic Airstreams. Check out Santa Barbara Auto Camp as a great example of these old beauties :

Santa Barbara Auto Camp | Santa Barbara Airstream RV Camp and Nightly RentalSanta Barbara Auto Camp | Santa Barbara Airstream RV Camp and Nightly Rental

Then there is Whaleshead Beach Resort in Samuel Boardman State Park where we've vacationed. After staying in those manufactured homes overlooking the ocean I dreamed about retiring there myself.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/hotels...sort-BR-1.html

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-30-2013 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Oh yeah, those Airstreams are the Cadillac of travel trailers. Very nice

Whaleshead Resort has a number of units for sale right now. Nice resort and beautiful views. It seems like it would be a great place to retire.

Last edited by HereOnMars; 07-30-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,928 times
$100,000 for a house in California? You won't even find that in Baker.

-Cheers.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
$100,000 for a house in California? You won't even find that in Baker.

-Cheers.
Not true. Check Metrolist and you'll find many. They just won't be by the coast.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 PM

774 posts, read 1,271,650 times
So, for retirement purposes, would you rather buy an oldish manufactured home in Santa Maria for $100,000, and have your neighbors' houses 3 feet from your house, or a site-built home in, say, California City for $50,000 with land to spare?

For me, the neighbors' noise (music, TV, screaming, barking) trumps all other things, so I'd try to avoid this kind of close proximity if I could.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:44 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,798,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
So, for retirement purposes, would you rather buy an oldish manufactured home in Santa Maria for $100,000, and have your neighbors' houses 3 feet from your house, or a site-built home in, say, California City for $50,000 with land to spare?

For me, the neighbors' noise (music, TV, screaming, barking) trumps all other things, so I'd try to avoid this kind of close proximity if I could.
I wouldn't go for either. They aren't the only choices. There are many fine communities with single-family homes that have normal yard spacings with prices as low as the $100K range. I have repeatedly mentioned a couple towns within under 90 minutes to San Francisco even.

Personally, I wouldn't live in any house, apartment, or condo ever again. Happy as a clam at high tide camping what's left of my retired life away under the stars. You all can fight over the cities and towns and mobile homes and stick-builts all you want. I won't interfere.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 PM

774 posts, read 1,271,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Happy as a clam at high tide camping what's left of my retired life away under the stars.
In an RV, or like Muammar Gaddafi, in a tent?

What do you do for Internet access?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:05 AM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 3 days ago)

5,504 posts, read 12,355,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post

Obviously there's not gonna be a one size fits all, ever. I personally couldn't stand living in the desert. Mountains or Coast for me, preferably coast. But some love it out there. One's not right or the other wrong, just different.

The OP has some specific requirements important to his parents. We haven't heard back in a while. But he did say - "Cooler weather vs warmer." With that in mind the high or low desert is out regardless of things like lot size, stick v. manufactured, etc... For others a big piece of land out there in the middle of the state away from most people is a fabulous thing.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or