U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,985,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Except the article the OP linked says people are not forced, just explained their options. Much like if you are overweight and go to your doctor the doctor explains to you why being overweight is bad and options on how to correct it. You are not forced to go on a diet.
Whether or not overt coercion was involved, a diet is much more readily undone than a sterilization procedure. It's not clear these women knew the ramifications of what they were agreeing to, as some interviews after the fact have shown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM

12,300 posts, read 7,941,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Whether or not overt coercion was involved, a diet is much more readily undone than a sterilization procedure. It's not clear these women knew the ramifications of what they were agreeing to, as some interviews after the fact have shown.
Then they can get an IUD. Though I would never actually support this; if someone cannot understand what happens when they get tubes tied, maybe they shouldn't be having more children.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 PM
zdg

841 posts, read 1,704,838 times
Quote:
if someone cannot understand what happens when they get tubes tied, maybe they shouldn't be having more children.
For someone who believes the government has too much control over their life, it is surprising to hear you make an if/should statement that suggests you know what is better for this woman/women than themselves. How tremendously Anti-American of you.

Personal freedom for all! Of my family and friends!

Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,985,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
For someone who believes the government has too much control over their life, it is surprising to hear you make an if/should statement that suggests you know what is better for this woman/women than themselves. How tremendously Anti-American of you.

A good example of the difficulty some have in balancing Republican social issues vs. Libertarian ones. Can't have it all, can we?

Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:

You must have missed the first part of the sentence, you know, the part where I said I would never actually support this. The part that you carefully removed when quoting me. So disingenuous.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 PM
zdg

841 posts, read 1,704,838 times
Quote:
You must have missed the first part of the sentence, you know, the part where I said I would never actually support this. The part that you carefully removed when quoting me. So disingenuous.
My sincere apologies. I misunderstood what you were saying you didn't support. I thought you were "not supporting" the use if IUDs.

Last edited by zdg; 07-08-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
My sincere apologies. I misunderstood what you were saying you didn't support. I thought you were "not supporting" the use if UIDs.
No worries, it happens.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:54 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,410,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
Slippery slope issue. The women did sign consent forms, whether they were talked into it or at their own request, so lawsuits might not be likely.

One comment was made that doctors routinely suggest this after a difficult C-section birth. Maybe some doctors do, but I don't think that's an industry standard.

However, the really tacky remark by the doctor about the cost savings over lifetime welfare payments will probably get people upset.

Oregon was actively engaged in eugenics up until 1983, not sure about laws in other states.
California practiced eugenics in the state hospitals for the mentally ill and developmentally disabled from the early 1900s all the way until the 1970s. It amazes me (not really) that CDCR was doing it so recently because in 2003 I anticipated in numerous legislative hearings about "atoning" for those former practices and ensuring that they never occurred again. Obviously CDCR's office of legislation was asleep at the switch (kinda like a correctional officer in a watch tower on first watch ).

Old 07-08-2013, 05:14 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,411,743 times
Those who prey upon others give up their rights to humanity in my book

My opinion.. if you are convicted of a felony of the dangerous kind.. murder rape robbery sodomy kidnap mayhem burglary arson you should be chemically or physically altered so that you cannot procreate.. crooks make crooks

After several generations I believe we would see a drastic drop in crime and all the goodies (social welfare) that go with it... and I have no problem breaking the cycle.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:26 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,410,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Those who prey upon others give up their rights to humanity in my book

My opinion.. if you are convicted of a felony of the dangerous kind.. murder rape robbery sodomy kidnap mayhem burglary arson you should be chemically or physically altered so that you cannot procreate.. crooks make crooks

After several generations I believe we would see a drastic drop in crime and all the goodies (social welfare) that go with it... and I have no problem breaking the cycle.
A number of Sexually Violent Predators volunteer for physical or chemical sterilization in the hopes of being released from what is essentially a lifetime commitment to Coalinga State Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or