Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 07:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Excellent. Please provide a list of the 123 agencies you'd like to cut.

Then, provide an adequate response to the what you'd like the 3% of working age Californians you just unceremoniously fired to do now that their jobs no longer exist and were not replaced with other job openings.

Perhaps they can join the ranks of the homeless in the state whose aid you'd almost certainly also like to cut so we can save even more taxes.

Because what California needs is to tack another 3% to the unemployment numbers and add a million homeless people without aid to the streets. But hey, at least our taxes will go down, right?
Right keep people employed who are not needed and are a drain on the treasury and the tax payers. OK, yes they will be unemployed, but who says Gov't workers should be immune to that when they are not needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Right keep people employed who are not needed and are a drain on the treasury and the tax payers. OK, yes they will be unemployed, but who says Gov't workers should be immune to that when they are not needed?
Again: California has the 5th lowest public employees-to-population ratio in the nation. More and more, workers aren't needed in the private sector either -- or haven't you noticed? Not reading much about corporate profits being up with record earnings and cash on hand -- with fewer and fewer employees on payrolls?

What's a drain on the treasury and taxpayers is the concentration of wealth at the very top and their ability to manipulate the system at lower tax rates than are paid by most of the wealthy in other developed nations ... and lower rates than previously paid throughout much of recent American history, as well.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
They can have the self-dignity of finding a job in the private sector that actually contributes to GDP.

Nope. Not a chance. The tax revenue is needed to fund your gold-plated pensions & Cadillac health care.
Oh, I get it. Public employees aren't allowed any dignity because they don't contribute to the GDP. Of course, if they all quit in shame there would be no fire or police protection, no courts, jails or prisons, no streets or freeways, no one would need to be licensed for anything including doctors and nurses and corporations would be able to run wild and ride ripshod over the public. Guess that means you're fully in favor of anarchy.

As for the rest, yet another virulent case of pension envy. That's attractive.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:07 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
They can have the self-dignity of finding a job in the private sector that actually contributes to GDP.
If those jobs existed, they would have already been filled. Care to try again?

Quote:
Nope. Not a chance. The tax revenue is needed to fund your gold-plated pensions & Cadillac health care.
Good sir, you are barking up the wrong tree. My gold-plated pension and Cadillac health care was paid for entirely by me via the company I founded, grew, expanded, and sold. Rest easy tonight knowing you didn't donate a dime to me.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
...My gold-plated pension and Cadillac health care was paid for entirely by me via the company I founded, grew, expanded, and sold. Rest easy tonight knowing you didn't donate a dime to me.
I am amused by how often some posters -- many, actually -- assume that anyone supporting the public sector must be a career public employee. Nearly 40 years of self-employment here, including having employees at times, paying the taxes and benefits that went with ... and recognizing that I would have no business were it not for the infrastructures developed, supported, and maintained by the public sector.

Last edited by nullgeo; 07-20-2013 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 08:29 PM
zdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I am amused by how often some posters -- many, actually -- assume that anyone one supporting the public sector must be a career public employee. Nearly 40 years of self-employment here, including having employees at times, paying the taxes and benefits that went with ... and recognizing that I would have no business were it not for the infrastructures developed, supported, and maintained by the public sector.
As am I. For the same reasons.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
As am I. For the same reasons.
I worked in/for the private sector both before and following my military service including several years with my own yard care service. Even while employed in the public sector I owned a business for several years until divorce took care of that. Not all of us greedy public sector retirees are totally insensitive to and inexperienced in business pursuits.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 PM
zdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I worked in/for the private sector both before and following my military service including several years with my own yard care service. Even while employed in the public sector I owned a business for several years until divorce took care of that. Not all of us greedy public sector retirees are totally insensitive to and inexperienced in business pursuits.
Neither Nullgeo nor I suggested that nor would have suggested it. We weren't referring to you at all (at least I wasn't).

I always think it's genuinely fascinating that a surprisingly number of people consider government workers to somehow not only be robots, but not part of the overall functioning world. As if all government workers steal all the tax dollars and return to their caves in the Earth's core at the end of the night, so they can toss all the American dollars into the fire, never to be returned to the economy.

Thinking is hard.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Neither Nullgeo nor I suggested that nor would have suggested it. We weren't referring to you at all (at least I wasn't).

I always think it's genuinely fascinating that a surprisingly number of people consider government workers to somehow not only be robots, but not part of the overall functioning world. As if all government workers steal all the tax dollars and return to their caves in the Earth's core at the end of the night, so they can toss all the American dollars into the fire, never to be returned to the economy.

Thinking is hard.
Lol ... exactly ... none of the money paid to public projects and public employees circulates in the GDP economy. None. Not one red cent. It all goes down the toilet to the fires of hell.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Lol ... exactly ... none of the money paid to public projects and public employees circulates in the GDP economy. None. Not one red cent. It all goes down the toilet to the fires of hell.
For the record, my remarks were actually aimed at SportyandMisty and that ilk, not you or zdg.

Sure you're right. Neither of us ever spent a cent in California over our combined 40 years in the state's employ. We saved every red cent and those of any other color until we moved to another state where we've spent lavishly to prop up its GDP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California