Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Roger that Dawg
(See, we can agree on some things ... now, about the purpose of government, where I am right ... and you ....)
are MORE right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
are MORE right?
... er, I mean I am left ... and you are right, off the scale ...

Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
... er, I mean I am left ... and you are right, off the scale ...
Whos on first, whats on second and......

Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Whos on first, whats on second and......
... and let's do lunch ... with decent mediation we may agree on a menu ...
I'll start: nuts, seeds, raw fruits and veggies ... side of fresh fish fillet ... strictly water for thirst.

Take note CalPERS!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Interesting state vs federal fight evolving over this issue, I can't see how it doesn't end up in the Supreme Court.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,061,764 times
Quote:
Not until SCOTUS, unless pension systems come to the table. As I called it several years ago this will continue to be a cascade of events across the county. Having been involved in many untold number of contract renegotiations over the last 30 years, a compromise is almost always better than what you'll get in court or mediation. Not to mention the money savings in legal fees.

States Rights vs Federal Law, pensions last gasp.
I imagine there are some work arounds... I don't think Calpers wants to play chicken with the voters... How did Reagan do when he fired all the air traffic controllers?

Last edited by zombocom; 07-22-2013 at 03:18 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 PM

17,382 posts, read 11,885,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Excellent. Please provide a list of the 123 agencies you'd like to cut.

Then, provide an adequate response to the what you'd like the 3% of working age Californians you just unceremoniously fired to do now that their jobs no longer exist and were not replaced with other job openings.

Perhaps they can join the ranks of the homeless in the state whose aid you'd almost certainly also like to cut so we can save even more taxes.

Because what California needs is to tack another 3% to the unemployment numbers and add a million homeless people without aid to the streets. But hey, at least our taxes will go down, right?
They can do what private sector employees have had to do - find another job. Or move. Or do one of a number of things that unemployed people do. I'm not sure why public sector jobs should be immune from the realities of NO MORE MONEY.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM

17,382 posts, read 11,885,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh, I get it. Public employees aren't allowed any dignity because they don't contribute to the GDP. Of course, if they all quit in shame there would be no fire or police protection, no courts, jails or prisons, no streets or freeways, no one would need to be licensed for anything including doctors and nurses and corporations would be able to run wild and ride ripshod over the public. Guess that means you're fully in favor of anarchy.

As for the rest, yet another virulent case of pension envy. That's attractive.
Out of the jobs on that HUGE list, I'm pretty sure very few of them are "vital". Easily 1/3 to 1/2 could be cut, with little or no impact on the public.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 PM

19,097 posts, read 16,465,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Out of the jobs on that HUGE list, I'm pretty sure very few of them are "vital". Easily 1/3 to 1/2 could be cut, with little or no impact on the public.
What?

Sorry but your comment indicates you haven't been following news reports of increased crime or longer response times to fires in various communities. There has been plenty of impact, due to cuts, over the past few years. None of it good, either. If you don't live in an area that has experienced this sort of thing, count yourself lucky. Don't get too comfortable, though. It could be coming soon to a neighborhood in your area.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You say "[you] are pretty sure ... Easily 1/3 to 1/2 ..." ... but you don't say how you are pretty sure ... please fill us in on your insider information so we can be as "sure" as you ... some numbers, facts, data ...

Thanks ... looking forward to the update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California