U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM
 
Location: the illegal immigrant state
757 posts, read 1,460,369 times
Reputation: 1017

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
They need to turn all the stalls into actual rooms. Four walls that go from the floor to the ceiling and locks you can actually count on. And that means everywhere. Problem solved.
^This.

Privacy and personal security.

Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I didn't intend to give a monologue. I really don't care one way or the other. I just thought everything was Ok the traditional way. Why the push to change? . Now they seem to have made it into a problem. See Vic's post. So then they have to change the stalls. I just don't get the push to change??
Problematizing has been a staple of liberal activism for the past half century. Whereas a given social circumstance looks unproblematic to nearly anyone, a liberal will view that circumstance through the lens of feminist and race inequality theories by which they interpret the circumstance as a tool of the white male patriarchy used to oppress women and minorities.

I'm not making this up. Academia made it up.

Liberal activism is still much alive on many public university campuses and is why many of these changes continue to take place. In their minds, the work of establishing equality is unfinished such that it must continue even long after the 1960's have passed. The continuation of this phenomenon is easy to understand when you consider that while most working-age people are trying to keep their jobs, tenured liberal professors have the freedom to spend their days obsessing over perceived injustices to fight. Must be nice!

All this drama continues in an age in which public university funding is being reduced and costs to students are increasing. One would think that in such financial circumstances, the remaining budgetary resources would be shunted to public university career programs but that would leave liberal professors with less of a luxury to fritter away their days on gender and race theory.

That's why there is a push to change... liberal professors problematize social circumstances for many reasons, one being because it's both how they make their comfortable, tenured living and because they don't have to do real jobs that actually meet society's needs.

Luckily your state is much less of a laboratory for the implementation of policies/laws that have their origin in the ivory tower. NY and CA with NYC and SF in particular, however, have long been such laboratories in which in which such policies and laws are foisted on us with the intent of reducing perceived oppression of women and minorities. The irony is that any reduction of oppression is not scientifically measurable, nor does it have to be, because these laws are so inherently "good" that they don't have be measured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would this solve anything? This would make it easier for would-be assailants to hide out in bathrooms, and for people to use the stalls for drug use or sex. Furthermore, air circulation into the stalls would be eliminated, and if it's anything you DON'T want to eliminate in a public bathroom stall, it's air circulation! The stalls are designed the way they are for a reason, people! Don't mess with success.
Would you want to be alone and isolated from help in a multiple-occupancy unisex bathroom with a strange man who could overpower you? I'm sure most women would! I would definitely want that for my family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,238 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Problematizing has been a staple of liberal activism for the past half century. Whereas a given social circumstance looks unproblematic to nearly anyone, a liberal will view that circumstance through the lens of feminist and race inequality theories by which they interpret the circumstance as a tool of the white male patriarchy used to oppress women and minorities.
If I put my ear up to yours I think I would hear the ocean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM
 
Location: TX
6,493 posts, read 5,206,532 times
Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I didn't intend to give a monologue. I really don't care one way or the other. I just thought everything was Ok the traditional way. Why the push to change? . Now they seem to have made it into a problem. See Vic's post. So then they have to change the stalls. I just don't get the push to change??
No one's made anything into a problem here. It started out as one. People should've had this basic level of privacy while using the bathroom from the very beginning, and just because you personally never saw the problem doesn't mean it wasn't there all along.

As for tradition, I always thought leaving a job half done was frowned upon back in the good old days. I consider a wall that doesn't reach either the floor nor the ceiling a job half done *shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
They need to turn all the stalls into actual rooms. Four walls that go from the floor to the ceiling and locks you can actually count on. And that means everywhere. Problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How would this solve anything? This would make it easier for would-be assailants to hide out in bathrooms,
Seriously? People can check the room for would-be assailants before they even enter it all the way. It'd still be a tiny square room, after all. But if you want to talk about keeping assailants and the like out (whom you won't know are plotting something until you're already trapped), you can't beat a solid room with a dependable lock. What's more, with stalls, all a person needs in a public restroom is a cell phone that can take pictures (known these days as cell phones) and a stall right next to the one you're in to give you quite the negative public image! Don't you care to try to prevent that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
and for people to use the stalls for drug use or sex.
Thus is the nature of having privacy. That some people will abuse it doesn't mean it shouldn't be offered to the general public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Furthermore, air circulation into the stalls would be eliminated, and if it's anything you DON'T want to eliminate in a public bathroom stall, it's air circulation! The stalls are designed the way they are for a reason, people! Don't mess with success.
I've never heard that particular excuse cited as a "reason" for stalls as opposed to rooms. Always heard that it was about cutting costs of actually building a room. But you can put vents or small windows in rooms for ventillation (which would work a heck of a lot better than stalls, as all the latter does is ensure you can smell what the guy in the next stall is doing). Indeed, cutting costs seems to be the only practical explanation for stalls. But that doesn't make it a good one. Building either a room or a stall is a one-time decision that will last for years if not decades. Considering the bigger picture, it sounds silly that any person would opt to build stalls when they could build something better and longer-lasting if they just pony up a little extra dough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM
 
17,357 posts, read 10,447,961 times
Reputation: 8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
My Dad used to call these "bisexual" bathrooms, BTW.

Anyway, the trend is to "de-sexualize" bathrooms, and make them all stall bathrooms, like the ones shown in the long-cancelled TV show Ally McBeal. At least, that's what is happening in my workplace. No more urinals? I'm all for that!

Now if we can all have automatic air fresheners and self-cleaning toilets....
We hope to have the air fresher on the market soon. It is a device that instantly kills all orders and .... has no odor as it is not an "air freshener", it is a "Mechanical" device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
77,782 posts, read 69,650,531 times
Reputation: 75488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
tenured liberal professors have the freedom to spend their days obsessing over perceived injustices to fight. Must be nice!

That's why there is a push to change... liberal professors problematize social circumstances for many reasons, one being because it's both how they make their comfortable, tenured living and because they don't have to do real jobs that actually meet society's needs.
Of course, this is ridiculous. Faculty are not involved in decisions like this. You know nothing about how universities are run. This is just a nonsensical rant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Would you want to be alone and isolated from help in a multiple-occupancy unisex bathroom with a strange man who could overpower you? I'm sure most women would! I would definitely want that for my family!
Who said that's the only solution? The only way to keep women's bathrooms safe is to keep the stall design the way it is. That way, no one can hide in a stall. Women already make a quick check of all the stalls whenever they enter a bathroom in an isolated area at night, such as those in university buildings. Men already hide out in women's bathrooms. Don't presume to tell women what's in their best interests. They can decide that for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Whereever we have our RV parked
8,661 posts, read 7,610,156 times
Reputation: 14811
Ruth: I'd rep you but they will not let me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 06:50 PM
 
Location: the illegal immigrant state
757 posts, read 1,460,369 times
Reputation: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Of course, this is ridiculous. Faculty are not involved in decisions like this. You know nothing about how universities are run. This is just a nonsensical rant.
You totally misunderstood my post which wasn't about university administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
...Don't presume to tell women what's in their best interests. They can decide that for themselves.
That's very macho of you, Ruth, to bark orders at me but it's a woeful instance of female chauvinism and close-mindedness which is so reminiscent of the mentalities of men during the 19th century. Your adoption of those men's mentality shows that we've come so far by not changing at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
77,782 posts, read 69,650,531 times
Reputation: 75488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
You totally misunderstood my post which wasn't about university administration.
The issue still has nothing to do with university faculty "problematizing" things.

Let women decide how best to design and manage their bathrooms for their own safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 PM
 
Location: NoVA
28 posts, read 34,982 times
Reputation: 80
I also attended a UC with unisex bathrooms/showers. No biggie although my mom sure was horrified! The first bathroom stall was designated for the guys so they could pee on the seat all they wanted. That was the major issue that came up so Iím curious to see what is actually proposed. I only try to use the unisex family restrooms when Iím out anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 AM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 13,945,433 times
Reputation: 6327
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
it's a woeful instance of female chauvinism and close-mindedness
Which is exactly how a severe male chauvinist would perceive any suggestion by women to claim their own ability to make safety decisions for themselves. It would be imperative to include them in a discussion of how to go about a unisex bathroom arrangement, no?

Those liberal professors didn't make up the details of white male hegemony - they simply seek to point it out and discuss possibilities to realize the thoroughly American ideal of equality. Oh, the horror!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top