U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:58 AM

128 posts, read 121,394 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, my mom and I will be moving from the East Coast to Southern CA next month, and I was wondering what would be the safest, most economical, and wisest way to handle both of our cars?

We have decided that we will trek cross country and just pack up all of our things in our cars, but my mom was telling me the other day that she thinks it would be better for me to just ship or have my car towed to SoCal instead of trailing behind her on a 3,000 mile journey for 4 or 5 days.

So....now my question is.... If I'm going to be riding with her in HER car, what should I do about MY car?

Should I have it shipped across from the East Coast to the West Coast? Or, should I have it towed by a company? OR...would it just be better (and cheaper) to simply follow behind her on this loooong arduous journey across the United States?

I'm at a loss... This is the first time I've ever done this before, and while I think it would definitely be much easier to have my car shipped or towed, I think I would feel much better peace of mind if I'm driving my OWN car myself. Idk what to do!

What would be your advice? We're running out of time......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM

12,465 posts, read 14,953,510 times
I would have it shipped via a car moving company (via a car carrier). Call your moving company for rates. Just for your reference, I shipped a car from Southern California to Northern California and the rate was about $850, one way.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM

35 posts, read 43,290 times
Same here. I read that from MI to Ca will cost roughly $1,500! Planning of driving a 12'/16' Penske truck and would be nice if my husband and I can switch driving it. He likes the idea of driving it though and also easier if we explore little towns. But if we find reasonable cost then we might opt to ship it. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:07 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,379,145 times
Having made the coast-to-coast trek many times as both a child and an adult, I'm all for driving. It will be much cheaper in the long run than the other options (roughly $400 for gas) and there's nothing quite like the open road even if you are following someone. Just make sure you both know where you're spending the night in case you get separated.

Take a bit of time to drive through some small towns to get a real feel for America and don't be shy about seeing some sights along the way to break up the boredom of the intestate. It will make the trip fun and memorable.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:25 PM

162 posts, read 257,984 times
I have used shippers twice...First time items were stolen from the car, Hubcaps, radio etc. Second time they damaged the car and tried saying it was that way when it was loaded...But I had pictures of it before and after the guy loaded it.....They put it on a different truck along the way and put 44 miles on it too....

Never again for me...

Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,379,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Having made the coast-to-coast trek many times as both a child and an adult, I'm all for driving. It will be much cheaper in the long run than the other options (roughly $400 for gas) and there's nothing quite like the open road even if you are following someone. Just make sure you both know where you're spending the night in case you get separated.

Take a bit of time to drive through some small towns to get a real feel for America and don't be shy about seeing some sights along the way to break up the boredom of the intestate. It will make the trip fun and memorable.
Or maybe the "inteRstate."

Old 07-14-2013, 02:02 PM

1,313 posts, read 5,791,680 times
Is it really a high-value car...Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc.? If not, it's probably false economy to bring it with you at all. Sell it where you are and buy a used car -- if it turns out you really need two cars -- when you get to your destination.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:05 PM

275 posts, read 655,819 times
I agree with Steve, you need to consider several things:

- will you need both vehicles on your way there, i.e. will you be able to put everything in just one car,
- what cars you are talking about(new, newish, old), their condition, it may be helpful to be able to use two cars, if one brake down, but if cars are old, it may be better to just sell one(older one) instead of bringing it with you; if car is old/in poor condition, it may fail CA inspection,
- will you need two cars in CA from day 1 or not,

- if you would consider take two cars, try uship.com,
and finally
- consider to take rider(s) with you, it would save you money on gas(if you are ok with it, of course).

Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,556,259 times
I have shipped my car a few times from MI to CA and FL to CA. It was around 1000 for an open carrier but that price ranges on time of year and from what state you are coming from. Some places are more popular so the price would be less because they go more often. If you do this I suggest going through a direct carrier and not a broker. This was actually a cheaper idea then driving time you add in gas, hotel stays, and miles/wear and tear on your car. While I waited for my car to arrive I rented a car at Lax which is surprisingly affordable.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 PM

18,004 posts, read 22,732,087 times
I think the main question is.....do you want to be in the same car as your mom all the way? LOL! I got the feeling you don't. So, you have the perfect excuse - you have to drive your car, cuz you can't afford to have it shipped.

If that's not the main issue, then I agree with the above posters who said to sell one of the cars, if you have time.

I also had a car shipped from TN to CA and it arrived really faded from the hot sun in the desert along the way. Should have waxed it, but oh well.

A friend had a car shipped inside a carrier along with their stuff, and it arrived scratched, dinged up.

So, if you can stand driving with your mom all the way, I vote to sell one of the cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or