U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 AM

1,981 posts, read 2,508,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I've been to Texas a few times in the summer, and its not like it doesn't get hot in California. Its only coastal California that remains cool in the summer.

The fact is, actual outdoors types are going to be able to tolerate the average summer temps in Austin just fine. Couch potatoes, perhaps not so much, but they aren't going to be outdoors in the first place.
"Only coastal California"
.. Hence the reason it is desirable, and may not be the best place to start out for the young, or those unable to earn a sufficient income.....

Desirable = expensive... Climatically coastal California is ideal.... Inland California is cheaper, just as other states.

Yes, while "actual outdoors types", can "tolerate" just about anything... (Which by the way, what the heck is that??? Tolerate..LOL, very different than enjoy/be comfortable/pleasant...) Who the heck is talking about tolerating???

Austin is hot in summer... You saying it is not? One needs to take a siesta mid day, and be active early and late in the day during summer.... Tell me you are going to take 20 mile/one hour bike ride at 2 in the afternoon with 95F and high humidity.... Sure, tolerate... But enjoy? The workout quickly becomes survival...

Now on to your distasteful habit of stereotyping comments? What purpose does it serve? It seems you do so when their is weakness in your argument...

SO, you allude that the obese and elderly can not "tolerate" hot and humid weather..?
Why is it that so many elderly live in Florida then?
Why is it then that the some of the most obese states are in the hot and humid south?

Indoor types/"couch potatoes", yes... I believe the vast majority of those that do not see the value in coastal California property prices fit this category. It is like buying a membership to a gym.. If one does not use the resource they will not see the value of it.... (This gets to the crux of my frustration with high real estate prices in coastal California, so many people that would be better off some where else, since they value houses and stuff more than climate.)

Sorry, your stereotyping does not hold water, consistently "cool" places such as Portland OR, and ME, Bend, Seattle, Minneapolis and Colorado mountain towns rank high for outdoor active towns...

15 U.S. cities for people who love the outdoors | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 07-22-2013 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 AM
zdg

841 posts, read 1,703,433 times
Quote:
I've been to Texas a few times in the summer, and its not like it doesn't get hot in California.
I lived in Texas for 33 years, including 14 in the Austin (11 years) and Houston (3 years) metro areas (the humid parts of the state). There is literally no part of California, inland, coastal, desert, or otherwise that compares to the mixture of heat and humidity of either Austin or Houston.

Quote:
The fact is, actual outdoors types are going to be able to tolerate the average summer temps in Austin just fine. Couch potatoes, perhaps not so much, but they aren't going to be outdoors in the first place.
Just curious, does someone with 11,500 posts on City-Data fall into the former or the latter?

I've spent 14 summers in Central Texas (when we lived in Houston, we kept a weekend/summer home in New Braunfels). Did we go to the lake and float the river and go to Barton Springs and do things outside? Of course. We also planned our actual normal every day lives around 11am and 4pm being near impossible to be outside unless it was one of the 6 or 7 times a summer you were doing those cool-water outdoor activities.

Honestly, I think you should move to Austin and I'm not being funny. Based on your posts, your politics, and your belief in the Texas tax system, I think you'd really enjoy it.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:34 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Humans didn't need technology to live and proliferate like crazy for thousands of years ... modern technology is just that: modern ... stone axes, atlatls, knives, bows with arrows are primitive tools that don't begin to qualify as technology. And "internal and digestive issues" don't require technology either.
There is no fundamental cultural difference between "modern technology" and "primitive technology", in both cases humans are increasing their capabilities beyond what their biology would allow.

Obviously I don't agree that technology is "harmful distraction", and you can very easily avoid the internet. The fact that you are here, shows you have very little conviction in your views.

Quote:
Again: intentionally obtuse. What you are calling "transfer of wealth" is nothing more than commerce and government as they have always been.
What I'm calling transfer of wealth....is a transfer of wealth. I never suggested that transfers of wealth were some how a new event in human culture and pointing out that there has always been transfers of wealth doesn't address anything....nor does it justify it.

Quote:
No, the Fed can't "target a zero inflation rate" and have the money creation system survive ...
Yes it can, positive inflation isn't a requirement. But this is besides the point, the point is that changing the inflation rate allows one to systematically transfer wealth within an economy.

Not sure why you think pointing out that transfers of wealth between generational cohorts and transfers of wealth between socioeconomic cohorts are two different matters is "gibberish".

Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I lived in Texas for 33 years, including 14 in the Austin (11 years) and Houston (3 years) metro areas (the humid parts of the state). There is literally no part of California, inland, coastal, desert, or otherwise that compares to the mixture of heat and humidity of either Austin or Houston.
What is your point exactly? I never said the weather was identical, instead I was pointing out that there are plenty of areas of California that have very hot weather.

Quote:
We also planned our actual normal every day lives around 11am and 4pm being near impossible to be outside unless it was one of the 6 or 7 times a summer you were doing those cool-water outdoor activities.
Alright, you can't tolerate heat very well. I'm not sure why you insist on others being so sensitive though I mean, how do you reckon people managed in Texas before AC?

Quote:
Honestly, I think you should move to Austin and I'm not being funny. Based on your posts, your politics, and your belief in the Texas tax system, I think you'd really enjoy it.
You don't know anything about "my politics". Texas, not necessarily Austin, has been on my radar for awhile....but so are a number of other places. Obviously some stranger on the internet isn't going to play a role in my choice

Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,774,623 times
Quote:
There is no fundamental cultural difference between "modern technology" and "primitive technology", in both cases humans are increasing their capabilities beyond what their biology would allow.
Stop embarrassing yourself ... comparing a flint ax to artificial intelligence technology ... what a stretch. As I repeatedly have pointed out, even animals other than humans, and including birds, and fish and insects, use "tools" ... none of the basic ability to use primitive tools equates to the abstractions of modern technology. I can't wait to read your next protest.
Quote:
Obviously I don't agree that technology is "harmful distraction", and you can very easily avoid the internet. The fact that you are here, shows you have very little conviction in your views.
I could avoid the internet if I was willing to be selfish enough to withdraw from my social connections, yes. My use of the internet is in considerable part to educate others, trapped in this ridiculously draining cycle of materialism, who are interested in my views ... and there have been a number of private contacts to that effect just from this forum over the past few years. One, in fact, will be on his way to camp on my property in just a few days ... on a journey halfway across the country to map out a major move.

Quote:
What I'm calling transfer of wealth....is a transfer of wealth. I never suggested that transfers of wealth were some how a new event in human culture and pointing out that there has always been transfers of wealth doesn't address anything....nor does it justify it.
No user ... don't weasel around now ... you have, specifically, been accusing the Boomers of transferring wealth from future generations ... which is hogwash. The only significant transfer of wealth is the same process that has been going on in one form or another all along with the development of large scale civilization. That is the creation of an abstraction and illusion of value that consistently flows to a very small controlling elite. Generations have nothing to do with robbing each other.

Quote:
Yes it can, positive inflation isn't a requirement. But this is besides the point, the point is that changing the inflation rate allows one to systematically transfer wealth within an economy.

Not sure why you think pointing out that transfers of wealth between generational cohorts and transfers of wealth between socioeconomic cohorts are two different matters is "gibberish".
Because that is not the real game. There is nothing at all new to this "transfer of wealth" you are so obsessed with.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Desirable = expensive... Climatically coastal California is ideal.... Inland California is cheaper, just as other states.
Well, yes, when its a limited resource, desirable = expensive....but what is desirable isn't necessarily worth while. What is desirable within a particular culture, is usually what grants status to the person that posses it. Coastal California is mostly about status....not "climatically ideal" weather.

Coastal California's weather is hardly ideal, its year around sweater weather. And the cost of coastal real estate hardly correlates to beauty of the coastal region.

Quote:
SO, you allude that the obese and elderly can not "tolerate" hot and humid weather..?
Why is it that so many elderly live in Florida then?
What I alluded to is that obese people and the elderly often have issues with the heat. In terms of the elderly, it obviously depends on their underlying health but elderly Americans typically have a whole host of medical problems. During heat-waves, its usually elderly folks that die.....

Quote:
Indoor types/"couch potatoes", yes... I believe the vast majority of those that do not see the value in coastal California property prices fit this category.
Actually, I think its entirely the opposite. Outdoors types will realize the relatively bankruptcy of coastal California in relation to its price.....and its instead the Mercedes driving yoga types that relish coastal California.

Quote:
Sorry, your stereotyping does not hold water, consistently "cool" places such as Portland OR, and ME, Bend, Seattle, Minneapolis and Colorado mountain towns rank high for outdoor active towns...
I'm really not sure what you're responding to with this, I didn't say anything about those areas...

Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,383,208 times
Quote:
What I alluded to is that obese people and the elderly often have issues with the heat. In terms of the elderly, it obviously depends on their underlying health but elderly Americans typically have a whole host of medical problems. During heat-waves, its usually elderly folks that die.....
Please define "elderly."

Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,774,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Please define "elderly."
Eh? Could you speak up a little Chief? I didn't quite catch that ... hearing's not what it usta be ya know ...

Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM

16,425 posts, read 22,277,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Please define "elderly."
Thought we went through this already *sigh* here goes again, guess that memory is really going

Fontucky= Shook George Washington's hand

Nullgeo= Dined with Julius Caesar

You= pushed the Neanderthals out of Europe.

Got it chief?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,383,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Thought we went through this already *sigh* here goes again, guess that memory is really going

Fontucky= Shook George Washington's hand

Nullgeo= Dined with Julius Caesar

You= pushed the Neanderthals out of Europe.

Got it chief?
Who's memory is going? I was killing Wooly Mammoths with my spear, remember? Youngster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or