Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:23 PM

121 posts, read 240,263 times

Advertisements

Laurel Glen is a mixed area that I would say is fine. I would much prefer to be farther west if it was me though.

If you look at my map of safety (Safe Bako) you can see that it is right on the border of some not so great areas. Nothing horrible, I think if you are set you would be fine.

I think around there the school will be Laurelglen Elementary - Laurelglen Elementary School - Bakersfield, California - CA - School overview

I have only heard good things about it, though I don't have kids so you would have to look into that more.

Rental wise it depends on your budget. There are rentals in the area ranging from mid 700s to a 1BR to 1500 for a 3BR. Rentals farther off White ln (more in neighborhood) and farther west will be nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 AM

245 posts, read 545,326 times
It's still a decent area, anything west of hwy 99'is good. The northeast has some good parts too just stay away from the eastside if possible.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:55 PM

I disagree with anything west of the 99 being good. Maybe for someone comfortable with the area, but for a transplant - I strongly recommend renting west of Ashe at a minimum and preferably west of Coffee/Gosford. You can get away with Stine if you pick the right place, but for god's sake avoid Real Rd. unless you want to live with trashy people and high crime.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawolf86 View Post
I disagree with anything west of the 99 being good. Maybe for someone comfortable with the area, but for a transplant - I strongly recommend renting west of Ashe at a minimum and preferably west of Coffee/Gosford. You can get away with Stine if you pick the right place, but for god's sake avoid Real Rd. unless you want to live with trashy people and high crime.
cawolf knows what he's talking about. I rarely reply to threads about Bakersfield nowadays due to the misinformation given by others who have simply driven through the city or are no longer residents, but it is refreshing to see a poster like cawolf giving accurate information--good and bad. The further west you get away from Hwy 99, the better.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:27 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default Thoughts on Bakersfield?

Bakersfield is just like any other city, good areas and bad, I've lived here for a long time and it has been very good to me. It does get hot in the summer but all around I like the weather, very mild winters. Close to the beach and close to beautiful mountains. As far as things to do, that all depends on what a person likes.
Like I said Bakersfield has been very good to me.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:40 PM

Thanks TimC!

I am new to CityData and have found them fun. I spent some time working as part of the 9-1-1 system in the field and feel I have a realistic perspective on the area.

I also agree with good and bad. For the most part I had a decent time and met nice people there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM

14 posts, read 58,643 times
Laurelglen is an older area and has some nicer sections/homes. It is relatively safe but gets a little sketchier every day. Laurelglen Elementary is a nice school... smaller in size. I used to work in the district so I know the principal and several teachers well. Some teachers bring their own children to work with them there so that is telling of how they feel about the school. You asked about apartments... I can only really recommend the Cambridge Village apartments in that area, but I am uncertain if they are in Laurelglen Elem. boundaries or if they go to Mc Auliffe. Both are good schools though. Most of the apartments inside of Laurelglen I would not feel safe, personally.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,654 times
We are possibly heading to Bakersfield for work, will be there about 6-8 months.
We live in a Rv so we are looking for a Rv park. We are considering Orange Grove out on S. Edison or River Run just west of 99 and just South of Rosedale Hwy.
Have read some reviews on the parks but would like some info on the area around the parks.

Thanks

Old 09-18-2013, 02:53 AM

66 posts, read 180,081 times
I left Bakersfield about 16 years ago, and oddly enough, I really miss it there. I lived in the Laurelglen area, went to school at Laurelglen Elementary, then to OJ Actis JH, then Bakersfield High School.

Something about the town is very warm and it has a character to it that I have not found elsewhere. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 PM

728 posts, read 1,899,549 times
My brother and his family live in Bakersfield and they seem content. I've visited a few times and the city just doesn't do it for me. It's so hot in the summer and cold in the winter and it seems that there is a lunch truck on every corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California