Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times

Advertisements

Very interesting reporting from National Geographic on how well the state is meeting its energy challenges with the addition of new thermal energy units (natural gas turbines).

California Keeps Its Energy Cool in Summer Scorcher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,478,288 times
I was cringing thinking about rolling brownouts when that last heatwave hit. Its nice to know that someone has been planning ahead this past decade.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I was cringing thinking about rolling brownouts when that last heatwave hit. Its nice to know that someone has been planning ahead this past decade.
And whodathunkit ... especially in California ... especially if one reads many threads in this forum

Old 07-20-2013, 11:53 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,018,307 times
The focus should really be on using less electricity..... Edison's tiered pricing is a good idea, but the price increases aren't large enough between the tiers. I rarely use the AC, use the heater a bit more (which is electric) during the winter, but even in the winter I'm still in tier 1. I imagine that pricing, such as this: tier 1 $.12, tier 2 $.20, tier 3 $.50, tier 4 $1.00....would start to get people to think how they can use less electricity. Similarly for water....water needs to be more expensive here. Water shortages, yet everyone has green lawns and pools are common place

I sometimes wonder to what degree the obesity epidemic is driving up electrical usage. The human body is rather good at staying cool even in high heat....not so much when you're overweight though.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The focus should really be on using less electricity..... Edison's tiered pricing is a good idea, but the price increases aren't large enough between the tiers. I rarely use the AC, use the heater a bit more (which is electric) during the winter, but even in the winter I'm still in tier 1. I imagine that pricing, such as this: tier 1 $.12, tier 2 $.20, tier 3 $.50, tier 4 $1.00....would start to get people to think how they can use less electricity. Similarly for water....water needs to be more expensive here. Water shortages, yet everyone has green lawns and pools are common place

I sometimes wonder to what degree the obesity epidemic is driving up electrical usage. The human body is rather good at staying cool even in high heat....not so much when you're overweight though.
How about this? I agree entirely with user_id. Pigs are flying.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,430,588 times
Here in SF we use natural, free-range, organic air conditioning that's totally free.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:16 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,215,903 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's it, blame fat people, or sick people, or elderly people, who have a tendency to be overweight due to hormonal changes. Charge them more. Great idea. The "fat" surcharge.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, that's it, blame fat people, or sick people, or elderly people, who have a tendency to be overweight due to hormonal changes. Charge them more. Great idea. The "fat" surcharge.

Now hold on a minute ... maybe youse two are on to something ... a "fat surcharge". With the obesity epidemic in America, well, that could finance everything, local, state, and federal ... lawdy lawdy ...

Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,815,390 times
Quote:

Agreed on all points. They also are finding that air conditioning actually contributes to obesity...and this makes sense to me on a lot of levels. If you are sweating a lot, your body works harder and burns more calories. Another aspect of it is if you're hot, you tend to eat less...but if you're cool & comfy, you're more likely to eat like you do in the winter.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:30 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,815,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

There really is some truth to it. A friend of mine who was living in New Orleans (where obesity is worse than in CA) briefly shared a place with a fat guy and he was frustrated because the air conditioning was kept on full blast. He was freezing all the time living there, not to mention the electric bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California