Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,094 times

Advertisements

Scenario: A New York state certified high school teacher who wants to become certified to teach in California.

I'm hoping to find individuals who have gone thru the process of out of state certification. Specifically, I would love to get in contact with anyone who was certified in another state before becoming certified to teach in California. The more recent the certification in California, the better.

The specifics:
OK, my situation is that I am certified in the state of New York to teach social studies grades 7-12. I am looking to get certified in Caifornia. Making things a bit more challenging is that I lost most of my things during the flooding from Huricane Sandy including nearly all of my records. I have looked at the state credentialing website but I still have questions. Specifically:

1. Do transcripts need to be official (i.e., sealed and stamped) or can they be the unofficial ones I simply print out from my university's website?

2.Basic Skills Requirement: Is this the "C-Best"? If so, since I passed this ten years ago, is it still valid and, if so, how do I prove this? If I need to take this test again where do I sign up?

3.Verification of 2+ years of teaching experience: How do I prove this?

4.Fingerprinting: I seem to have 2 options, which is better livescan or fingerprint cards? Where do I go to get this done?

5.Clear Credential: I already have my NY certification in social studies for grades 7-12 so I don't need to take a subject matter test, right?

6.Authorization to teach English learners: VERY CONFUSING! The website seems to suggest that I need to have a California credential before for I can apply? Or can I just take the CTEL exams, and, if so, where do I sign up for them?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:39 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
1. Official transcripts in a sealed envelope.
2. C-Best record can be accessed. No time limit.
3. Letter from HR at your current and past school districts.
4. Livescan in your state. Send results to CA.
5. Probably not.
6. No idea, but I don't think this a 'must' to be employed, although nice to have.

Keep in mind that there are places that hire non-credentialed teachers in the state with an 'emergency credential'.

Just apply and don't fret when answers change with every person you speak to. Expect that and you'll be fine.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,094 times
Thanks for the response Snort!!!

Sincerely,
Alec

Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Teaching jobs are quite hard to find right now with all the cutbacks we've had in education. There are lots of teachers that were laid off and will be first on the list to re-hire when the schools need more teachers. Make sure you know your potential to get hired here before going through all the work to get certified.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 PM

57 posts, read 214,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. AR View Post
Scenario: A New York state certified high school teacher who wants to become certified to teach in California.

I'm hoping to find individuals who have gone thru the process of out of state certification. Specifically, I would love to get in contact with anyone who was certified in another state before becoming certified to teach in California. The more recent the certification in California, the better.

The specifics:
OK, my situation is that I am certified in the state of New York to teach social studies grades 7-12. I am looking to get certified in Caifornia. Making things a bit more challenging is that I lost most of my things during the flooding from Huricane Sandy including nearly all of my records. I have looked at the state credentialing website but I still have questions. Specifically:

1. Do transcripts need to be official (i.e., sealed and stamped) or can they be the unofficial ones I simply print out from my university's website?

2.Basic Skills Requirement: Is this the "C-Best"? If so, since I passed this ten years ago, is it still valid and, if so, how do I prove this? If I need to take this test again where do I sign up?

3.Verification of 2+ years of teaching experience: How do I prove this?

4.Fingerprinting: I seem to have 2 options, which is better livescan or fingerprint cards? Where do I go to get this done?

5.Clear Credential: I already have my NY certification in social studies for grades 7-12 so I don't need to take a subject matter test, right?

6.Authorization to teach English learners: VERY CONFUSING! The website seems to suggest that I need to have a California credential before for I can apply? Or can I just take the CTEL exams, and, if so, where do I sign up for them?

Any advice is much appreciated!
I'm currently a teacher with a California Clear Credential and I've worked with someone who arrived out of state with experience.

As for #5, you should probably be okay if you are authorized to teach Social Studies in your New York credential. However, your credential will probably NOT transfer to a clear credential in California. Since you most likely be given a preliminary California credential, you will have to complete the BTSA program (Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment (BTSA) Induction) in order to clear your credential. My colleague from out of state had over 20 year experience and still had to go through this program .

As for #6, EL authorization is built into the preliminary credential for teachers who go through a university program. I'm not completely sure how it works for out-of-state candidates. As far as I'm aware, my out-of-state colleague did not have to do anything special, but again, I'm not 100% sure. You're right...it's very confusing .

What part of California are you considering? As for jobs, I know Social Studies tends to be the trickiest jobs to get, but it is possible to get a job. Jobs always seem to pop up in the LA area. Make sure you check EdJoin for jobs (America's premier online job search site | EDJOIN.org).

Old 07-20-2013, 07:07 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh23 View Post
What part of California are you considering? Jobs always seem to pop up in the LA area.
So be prepared to do combat duty, as opposed to teaching. Another round of state budget cuts to education just went through July 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: