Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:45 AM

3 posts, read 7,468 times

Advertisements

Hello to my fellow Cali people!

I moved to Houston a year ago and I am moving back to California. I lived in Atlanta and now Houston and I would like to share my experiences with both places in hopes of helping others.

Houston and Atlanta are different as night and day you cannot compare the two they are different as apples and oranges.

Atlanta: Single women beware..there is a HUGE amount of DL black men in Atlanta who will lie to the bitter end about their sexuality. I have no issues with gay men in fact I love them, but I do have a huge issue with liars. With this said there is a HUGE amount of SINGLE WILL EDUCATED women in Atlanta so if you move there with your husband or boyfriend and he is straight be ready for other women to throw themselves at him openly.

Back in the early 2000's Atlanta was the place to be..but Atlanta has took a hit like California and they are taking much longer to make a comeback so it is hard to find a job there right now. If you do not know someone who can get you in the door with a "hookup" your screwed and you will have to rely on temp agencies.

The cost of living in Atlanta IS cheaper then Houston!

When I lived in Atlanta I had a very nice townhouse for only $675 and it was huge and I never ever had a issue with crime..will times have changed. Atlanta now has a large amount of break ins, car thefts and robberies. The best way of getting a idea of the crime is to go to crimereports.com and type in the address of where you think you want to live or the zip code and that will tell the story.

Atlanta is NOT nearly as hot or as humid as Houston. The weather is better.

Atlanta has bad traffic, but the people can drive much better then the people in Houston.

Atlanta is much more attractive. It has beautiful trees and a lot more green then Houston.

Atlanta has nicer people. Houston people appear to be nice, but a lot of time they are up to something. The actually Texans are nice, the issue is coming from all the NEW people in the city.

Atlanta has ALOT to do and is more concerned with image and status. Your job, your car, where you live and who you know DOES matter. Its the souths idea of Hollywood.

Atlanta has the WORSE police department. Get ready to get pulled over for nothing and it does not matter if your male or female.

HOUSTON: Houston has THE BEST job market, BUT it comes with a catch. You can get a job very easy, but the state is for the company and could careless about the employee...meaning the companies in TX can better much do WHATEVER they want and there is not much you can do about it other then move on and find another job.

Houston has the WORSE drivers I have ever seen. Traffic here is worse then Los Angeles and the people here drive very fast, but they cannot drive so sooner or later you WILL get into a accident rather its your fault or not.

Houston has a great night life! If you like to go out this is the place for you.

Houston has a lot to do so you will NOT be bored.

The weather in Houston is horrible! It will rain and still be 98 degrees. So just imagine it can be raining, thundering and lighting all at the sametime and you WILL STILL have to have your AC on. Houston is A LOT more humid then Atlanta. You will take a shower walk from your apartment to your car and feel like you need another shower.

Houston IS VERY VERY dangerous. Houston is more dangerous then Atlanta. Houston is known for break ins, carjackings etc. Everyone I have met has had their apartment broken into at least once. I moved from California here and I was only here for 5 days and had my apartment broken in. No where in Houston is safe from crime the best areas tend to have the most break ins. Again look it up on crimereports.com if you cannot afford one of the houses behind gates with a armed security guard make sure you keep your renters insurance paid up.

Houston lacks in morals. I have never met so many married women who openly cheat on their husbands. Houston is better much a free for all no one judges and no one really cares which can be good and bad.

Houston has the BEST food!

Houston is NOT has racist at Atlanta. In Atlanta is pretty much black or white and you are reminded that you live in the south. Houston does NOT care what race you are which is great!

Houston is NOT the best looking city...to be honest its a huge ghetto. There are NO zoning laws..meaning that you can be in a very nice area and 2 blocks away there will be a "hood."

Houston or Atlanta? Both have issues but between the two and if you really just want to get out of California go to Atlanta, but do your best to get a job first almost everyone in Atlanta has a college degree so get ready to brown nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 09:53 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,616 times
I have no idea what this is doing in the California forum, but as a native Houstonian who moved back for a few years as an adult, I would disagree entirely with your claim on the danger in Houston. Which then puts in to question your other claims. Which makes this post "one person's biased opinions on two cities they lived in briefly and wanted to hear their own voice on the Internet."

Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM

23,530 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I agree with your statement about the horrible drivers in Houston. They are similar to some of the drivers in LA, with aggressive irresponsible, behaviors such as tailgating (when there are several open lanes on the same highway and don't need to tailgate), cutting off other drivers, lack of turn signal use, etc

Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
Post this in the Houston and Atlanta forums. People looking for information on those cities don't look in the California forum - even people who live in California who are thinking of moving to those places.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
DL = "Designated Lesbian"?
"****less Loser"?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
DollarLess?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:30 PM

Depressed Latvian?
Dramatic Limpwrist?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Umm, that would be "Down Low" ... look it up ...

Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 PM

You mean "Australian" or New Zealander or both?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I have no idea what this is doing in the California forum, but as a native Houstonian who moved back for a few years as an adult, I would disagree entirely with your claim on the danger in Houston. Which then puts in to question your other claims. Which makes this post "one person's biased opinions on two cities they lived in briefly and wanted to hear their own voice on the Internet."
Its all anecdotal and subjective. If you and the people you know have never been a victim it may look safe. I've never been, but I had a coworker (native New Yorker no less) who was driving home in Houston one evening in a convertible and had three guys jump in her car at a stoplight and proceed to terrorize her for almost an hour. They forced her to drive around the ghetto areas while hitting her and threatening to rape/kill her the entire time. They finally jumped out of the car with her purse and took off and she said she was so terrified she crapped herself. Of course that can happen in any large city, but it happened to someone I know in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California