U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 AM

325 posts, read 2,786,040 times

Advertisements

I've got a potential job that will take me to Sonora and Jackson. I'm looking to rent in a more urban area or close to it. First priority is low crime. Second would be good preschools. I'd like to be close to amenities, but given that my work commute will be long, it doesn't matter as much. My budget for rent is up to $1800. I was thinking Rancho Margarita, which is far from "civilization", but closer to work. Any other areas? What's a realistic commute time to Sonora? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 AM

8,386 posts, read 9,131,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
I've got a potential job that will take me to Sonora and Jackson. I'm looking to rent in a more urban area or close to it. First priority is low crime. Second would be good preschools. I'd like to be close to amenities, but given that my work commute will be long, it doesn't matter as much. My budget for rent is up to $1800. I was thinking Rancho Margarita, which is far from "civilization", but closer to work. Any other areas? What's a realistic commute time to Sonora? Thanks.
To Sonora from Rancho Murieta (I assume you meant R Murieta-R Margarita is south of LA) is about 90 minutes.

If you want low crime and good schools and decent amenities you'll find that in Sonora. Not exactly a hick town. And not driving a 140 miles a day will save much time and $$$. 140 miles times 40 cents a mile equals $56 a day or $1200 a month

Old 07-24-2013, 09:36 AM

6,958 posts, read 19,165,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
To Sonora from Rancho Murieta (I assume you meant R Murieta-R Margarita is south of LA) is about 90 minutes.

If you want low crime and good schools and decent amenities you'll find that in Sonora. Not exactly a hick town. And not driving a 140 miles a day will save much time and $$$. 140 miles times 40 cents a mile equals $56 a day or $1200 a month
Plus, you could probably rent a palace for that much in Sonora.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 AM

6,662 posts, read 26,284,409 times
Just be careful about renting a place heated by propane up here. We were paying $300 a month in the winter and we just had two very mild winters. Always hoping for more snow here other than 6 inches on the porch. A rental with a fireplace or firebox will save you money if you choose firewood , even wood pellets are cheaper than propane. We took our friends advice and used portable electric heaters and saved money.
On the upside gasoline in Sonora is often cheaper than Oakdale or Modesto and LA.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM

325 posts, read 2,786,040 times
My bad--I did mean Murieta. Sonora is nice, but it's a lot smaller than what we're used to (LA, Las Vegas, and Houston). Thanks for the heads-up on driving distance/cost... hadn't really thought about the impact of that.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
My bad--I did mean Murieta. Sonora is nice, but it's a lot smaller than what we're used to (LA, Las Vegas, and Houston). Thanks for the heads-up on driving distance/cost... hadn't really thought about the impact of that.
Summerset SD is a third of the size of Sonora (pop5000).

And Sonora serves close to 40,000 people as the County Seat. $1200 a month will get you a nice 3br/2ba house in the best areas-one with an acre+ lot. Compare that to what you'd get in RM-2bd apt-for $1200

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,181,442 times
You're just not going to find a big city within commute distance of Sonora. Sonora itself will be your best bet. Jackson is a bit of a haul from Sonora, so you'll probably want to know which you're working out of. Jackson is pretty small too, but does sport most of the normal amenities, like a full-service grocery store. If a big city is important, you could possibly make it from Sacramento/Elk Grove to Jackson on a daily basis, but I don't think I'd recommend it. Rancho Murieta, as you mention, is closer, but not sure how many places are up for rent and if $1800 is realistic for that. You're mostly talking horse and golf course properties out there, so unless that's what you're looking for, I don't think there's much appeal. I'd rather be in a small foothill town that had a full grocery store. From Sonora, you could technically commute from Stockton, but there isn't much a compelling reason to live in Stockton (there are okay parts and all, but not worth the drive).

Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
You're just not going to find a big city within commute distance of Sonora. Sonora itself will be your best bet. Jackson is a bit of a haul from Sonora, so you'll probably want to know which you're working out of. Jackson is pretty small too, but does sport most of the normal amenities, like a full-service grocery store. If a big city is important, you could possibly make it from Sacramento/Elk Grove to Jackson on a daily basis, but I don't think I'd recommend it. Rancho Murieta, as you mention, is closer, but not sure how many places are up for rent and if $1800 is realistic for that. You're mostly talking horse and golf course properties out there, so unless that's what you're looking for, I don't think there's much appeal. I'd rather be in a small foothill town that had a full grocery store. From Sonora, you could technically commute from Stockton, but there isn't much a compelling reason to live in Stockton (there are okay parts and all, but not worth the drive).
Not only does Sonora have a full grocery store (actually has four) it has two McDonalds!

(actually Sonora has a full spectrum of excellent restaurants and ton of other cultural amenities)

Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Not only does Sonora have a full grocery store (actually has four) it has two McDonalds!
(actually Sonora has a full spectrum of excellent restaurants and ton of other cultural amenities)
I know of the McDonalds at the Junction but not any others.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 PM

We are thinking about moving to Murphys next year. More night life. My wife just became technical director at Black Bart Theatre.
Life music is no more in Sonora area, they busted all the drunks and no one visits the pubs anymore. My wife is a musician so she needs her work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or