U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 PM

70 posts, read 273,595 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm just doing some planning/investigation, and I'm trying to figure out how african americans are generally treated in the Campbell, CA area. Is there racial tension? Is the area diverse? You know, that type of thing.

I went and visited San Jose (and stayed at the Pruneyard hotel), and I realized that I was getting weird looks from alot of caucasian people as I was walking around looking for things to buy. Were these looks because I'm black, was it because I was walking around (I mean, are most people driving in this town)?

Anyway, I am a little bit on edge about the whole racial thing, due to several prior experiences, so I figured I'd get this out of the way.

Also, how "diverse" would you say Campbell is? And if I were looking for a nice, safe, clean(, modern would also be nice), diverse area/town near the pruneyard hotel, then where should I be looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 11:08 PM

7,688 posts, read 25,668,348 times
There just aren't very many black people in the South Bay. It's not that we don't like you or won't give you a chance.. far from it. It's a diverse area with people who are used to mixing and do so on a daily basis. But you still will kinda stand out just because there has never been a significant black presence there.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,005,408 times
That's true, you won't see a lot of African-Americans in the south bay, especially in Campbell... it's mostly White & Asian, but I still don't think you'll have a "problem." I'm not Black, so can't say from experience - but generally speaking, the Bay Area is very cool & comfortable with diversity.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 24,084 times
The South Bay was the place for African Americans to move away from East Palo Alto, back in the day. Then they ventured out to the Central Valley.

The Neighborhoods have change drastically. I've been here when Highway 101 was a 2 lane Boulvard. I've lived in just about every City around here.

I'm pretty sure there is a sparce amount of African Americans there, they are the type that don't hang out on the corner and barbeque on the front lawn.......
San Jose area is known for it's diversity. But you get tired of shops that have -2 sizes. Most of the shops are for Asian women.(smile).....plenty of nail shops.

It should be a high level of Latino and Asians there, in one section. I know Soleda O'Briens brother lives in Campbell. I like Campbell. And you're right they are special because it's a older neighborhood and they stare.
I sold New Home sells in Campbell.
They did their little funny moves. But I was being paid by somebody else.
At the end of the day, I went home.

I've shopped at the pruneyard and I didn't get any especially seventh Black sensory sense difference than I normally get going into an exclusive neighborhood.
They stare. They may think you're a Movie Star or someone important?
They may stare because blacks from other areas have left a negative impression with them.
When I go into a bank or store that just got robbed the day before. I'm treated suspiciously........then after awhile they feel so guilty about judging all African Americans, because of one incident....then you get them wide cheese grins!
They have issues, lol..........I'm not going to stop living my life, in order to entwine their inhibitions.
Reason: 365 days a year blacks are stressed out. Stressed out looking and listening with that 7th Black scense.
Rather it's the way their eyes gaze, the movement of their body, something that they don't do, something that they over do.....like saying "may I help you" when foot one steps into their door......As blacks we catch the ball or we let it drop and move on.
And say to yourself "oh that person really loves me, they want to help".
But you know they don't.
But keep the little sensor antena up as you shop. In case they get out of line.

I traveled a lot with my musician boyfriend. We went to a lot of places where Blacks were a rare substance. But I realized that some stares, are because they think I might be some STAR. Why else would that black have the nerves to come in here, (smile)

For my Legal Class. I'm doing a project on Brown versus the Board of Education.
This infrastrure was built by blacks. Blacks are American, you have rights. Don't lose a part of yourself or give them back your rights because of a stare. Rights people fought for and die for. Handle your business.

And you know good and well, you think things about them also. So it's equal.
Like tends to be more familiar with Like. That's all they want and know.
After reading the judges opinion. My life became clearer.

Anyway most of the Bay Area Cities are diverse, neighborhoods have evolved.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:05 AM

24 posts, read 118,453 times
Hmm I think Southern California as a whole is full of racist ignorant people. It's almost as if they never left the 16th Century. White and Black. They talk as if there is still segregation and racism is a problem here. You have these people who grow up with Hollywood as the background noise. Then you throw in an education system that doesn't teach them very well and YES there's racial tension everywhere. All of the races tend to stick to themselves and it's very sad indeed.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 AM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfire View Post
Hi,

I'm just doing some planning/investigation, and I'm trying to figure out how african americans are generally treated in the Campbell, CA area. Is there racial tension? Is the area diverse? You know, that type of thing.

I went and visited San Jose (and stayed at the Pruneyard hotel), and I realized that I was getting weird looks from alot of caucasian people as I was walking around looking for things to buy. Were these looks because I'm black, was it because I was walking around (I mean, are most people driving in this town)?

Anyway, I am a little bit on edge about the whole racial thing, due to several prior experiences, so I figured I'd get this out of the way.

Also, how "diverse" would you say Campbell is? And if I were looking for a nice, safe, clean(, modern would also be nice), diverse area/town near the pruneyard hotel, then where should I be looking?
when we treat each other better, we will all be accepted.

i have a dream.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:33 AM

7,688 posts, read 25,668,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedStone View Post
Hmm I think Southern California as a whole is full of racist ignorant people. It's almost as if they never left the 16th Century. White and Black. They talk as if there is still segregation and racism is a problem here. You have these people who grow up with Hollywood as the background noise. Then you throw in an education system that doesn't teach them very well and YES there's racial tension everywhere. All of the races tend to stick to themselves and it's very sad indeed.
Because Campbell is in Southern California..

Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 22,611 times
I am Indian and I know many other friends both caucasian and Indian who live in the area. It is quite diverse and there are african american ppl around too.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:44 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,005,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Because Campbell is in Southern California..
LOL... and touche.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 9,207 times
I cannot believe some of these posts! I lived in San Jose for over 15 yrs and frequented the Campbell area often.The San Jose area is so ethnically diverse that NO one would have a problem living there. Being African American, you should have absolutely NO problems with any place you decide to live so enjoy and do not listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California