Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 PM

671 posts, read 1,190,213 times

Advertisements

For SF, I would suggest not focusing on the zoo, but instead taking in the many facilities at Golden Gate Park. It has been decades, but my visit to the Aquarium there easily beat the over priced and tiny Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. The LA Zoo is located in Griffith Park, which would allow you to take in Griffith Park itself and the superior Griffith Park Observatory as good visits. Also, Exposition Park in LA (served by Metro Expo line) offers a GREAT Museum of Natural History along with Rose Gardens and other good facilities/museums including the Space Shuttle in its temporary home before they build the 20+ story permanent structure to house it.

If a zoo is really an important visit for you, then like others have said, San Diego is IT! There is regular daily Amtrak train service from LA to San Diego, about a 3 hour ride. You can easily leave LA in the morning and be back by dusk. Investigate transportation (there may even be a special tram service) from San Diego Amtrak stations to San Diego Zoo. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
If the zoo is one of your considerations, which it obviously is: I would do the L.A. zoo, but I have to admit it has been years since I did either. Our kids did prefer the L.A. zoo, I do remember that.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,948 times
Thanks all. Been to sd lots, so appreciate tips on la and sf

Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
I always liked the SF zoo better and so did my kids. ALL zoos have got much better over the last several decades so its probably a toss up.

My family liked the SF zoo also because of its location right on the ocean and next to everything else they liked to do Golden Gate park, Fort Funston, Ocean Beach, The Sunset District etc....

Old 07-31-2013, 09:08 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
Years ago we had many Fun times taking our young'uns to SF Zoo, Oakland Zoo, Golden Gate Park, Exploratorium, etc etc

Welcome to the San Francisco Zoo

Wild Animals, Wildlife Conservation, Educational Programs, Science Field trips, Family Day Trips, Summer Camp, Bay Area CA | Oakland Zoo

Golden Gate Park - San Francisco, CA

Exploratorium: the museum of science, art and human perception

Have an Awesome Adventure......

Old 08-01-2013, 05:37 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
I have never been to the SF zoo, but I have been to the L.A. zoo and it is definitely a good place to take young children to.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:20 AM

493 posts, read 783,071 times
ive been a member of the sf zoo and/or oakland zoo for decades all combined.

for years it wasnt even a question, the oakland zoo was far superior, but the sf zoo has upped its game in recent times and both are good, but i'd still recommend the oakland zoo for your bay area visit.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:45 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,509,336 times
Fresno Chaffee Zoo deserves a mention. Its a well planned and maintained facility and the animals are well cared for and seem happy. It's a managable size (you can see it all in a couple hours) plus its just $7 for adults and $4 for kids. Its right off Hwy 99 in the middle of Roeding Park so if you're traveling the central part of the state its worth a look.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,260,305 times
I was going to second the above recommendation for the Oakland Zoo. In the Bay Area, it's the best zoo by far. The setting on the outskirts of Oakland, nestled in natural canyons and hills, is beautiful, and the animals seem to be more in a natural habitat. It's also a pretty big zoo. Definitely better than SF or LA.

I have also been to Fresno's Chaffee Zoo, and it's a really pleasant surprise. A beautiful facility and one of few zoos with at least one Galapgos tortoise from what I recall!

Old 08-04-2013, 11:29 AM

57 posts, read 214,763 times
If you're going to be in the Bay Area, I highly recommend the Oakland Zoo over the San Francisco Zoo. It has a much more natural setting and the animals have larger enclosures. I'm not sure if this matters to you, but the San Francisco Zoo does NOT have elephants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California