Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 17,782 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am getting ready to move to Southern California and start a job as a nurse. I am a single mother and I am looking for 24/7 childcare centers that you can recommend.
Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 PM

24 posts, read 130,216 times
Options for Childcare are limited. As with everything else. If you're a Nurse why not go to Canada or other parts of the World that offer much more benefits to you and your child(ren) and better quality of life? The quality of life in California is probably the worst in the nation because of pollution, stress, and the lack of good education for children. Be smart don't come here.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 PM

78 posts, read 343,300 times
The only 24 childcare in Southern California is having a nanny. The going rate in the West LA area is $15 per hour for 1 child and $18 per hour for 2 children for a live-out nanny. For a live-in nanny, you can pay less and provide room & board also.

The daycare centers have limited hours. Ones with the longest hours open at 7:30am and close at 6pm, and charge $20 per minute that you are late. I strongly do not suggest daycare center if you do not have a regular 9-5 schedule.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:31 PM

2,109 posts, read 3,281,791 times
Check with the hospital that you plan to work at. Some hospitals contract out with nearby childcare centers to provide off-hours childcare for hospital employees who work non-traditional hours.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 PM

4 posts, read 18,489 times
Living in southern california it is pretty hit or miss with 24/7 childcare. The only real option is having a live-in or full time nanny. Although being a parent of two and having a full time nanny, I have been screwed by a few also. You really have to find the right person. I have been through about 7 nannys, because of things like stealing, and I even had one hit my daughter. I have learned the best kind of full time nanny, is your neice or nephew!
But I also agree with the man above, Southern California is not a great place to live. And actually, I am currently looking at moving away from Orange county for the sake of my family. Its hard for children growing up in this area because there is so much compition. If you have any doubts about moving into southern california...THEN DO NOT COME. Trust me, the problems get worse once you live here.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,169 times
Im a nurse too, and I suggest you just look around. I found a daycare that is open from 5am till 8pm. Depending on the hours, thats what you pay. And Ive calculated it to being $5 bucks an hour. As for the days that the daycare is not open. I get a nanny. But I disagree about SoCal being awful. I recently moved here from Puerto Rico not 8 months ago, and we all LOVE it here. I guess it depends where you go too. Im more in the inland empire area. I like to stay away from major cities.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 PM

120 posts, read 408,770 times
hi, this thread is over 5 years old. But thanks for updating

Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Not only is it from 2007, the OP never returned to her own topic. How rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: