Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,972 times

Advertisements

Here is my background:

1) BS in Business Admin some accounting courses not much
2) I have 7 years of working experience as Staff Accountant Positions at six different jobs, mainly through temp agency assignments.
3) I decided to get masters right out of undergrad but decided to do it in public administration so I have a MPA.
4) My masters didn't do anything for me. I should of taken my time to research on what program would be appropriate for me.
5) I want to become a CPA one day but I am afraid its been too many years since I been out of school to remember the hard core accounting education, even though I can do my day to day job just fine.
6) I am debating if I should do MBA or MS in Accounting to prepare myself to sit in the CPA exam. I tried studying and taking the exam but it went really bad so I think I need to start my career over and do a masters that will prepare me for the test.
7) Also, how do I turn my resume around to make it more appealing to CPA firms so that they actually hire me!!!!!! I have applied at so many entry level positions at CPA Firms but never even received first interview.

I need advise on what degree you think will be best for my situation; MBA vs. MS in Acct? And how do I get hired with a CPA firm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,455,557 times
As far as studying for the CPA, did you look at GLEIM? (www.gleim.com) They have CPA-prep. I went through them for the EA prep, and if you use their study material, you'll pass.

I have accounting and have seen that many entry level jobs that used to be called bookkeeper and needed an A.A. are now requiring a full B.A. for barely over minimum wage, so I really think CPA is the way to go.

You can also talk to people at CalCPA (www.calcpa.org) they have local branches and job listings, etc.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
The main purpose for you to get a MS in accounting would be to get a fresh start with accounting recruiters. The bad thing about the firms is that a lot of them are not interested in hiring anyone other than entry level grads, that is probably why you didn't get a response from them. Sadly, age is also an issue [I've learned this the hard way] so you still might not get as much interest from firms even if you are going through campus recruiting, although it usually doesn't really start unless someone is over 30.

Also, getting the degree would allow you to reach the 150 hour requirement if you have not already reached it.

Those would be the main two reasons to get the degree, but it still might be difficult even with the second chance at recruiting. A lot of employers don't really understand the degree unfortunately, so to them it might make you "overqualified" even though you really aren't [this is another thing I've found out.]

A prep course would give you all you needed to pass the exam, so I wouldn't go back to school for the sole purpose of preparing for it.

I'm a CPA but only worked one year in public. I'm currently working in governmental accounting and that's probably going to be my career, so I'm keeping my license inactive unless I get to a point where it might actually be useful [like if I ever get to upper level management in our financial division.] I have never actually practiced as a CPA. The certification itself is not that meaningful, it doesn't really add value to your employer unless you've got a good 3-5 years of experience in public accounting.

Honestly if I had a solid opportunity to get experience as a staff accountant I would continue to pursue that, maybe use a prep course to pass the exam, and then at some point see about getting to a position where you are working under the supervision of a CPA and see about getting your license at that point.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
One problem is that companies are going to automatic recruiting programs. They are starting to have people file their application on a company application form over the Internet. Then the computer, rejects all but what has been set up to be the most qualified applicants. Extreme Example, any criminal offense of any kind, and the application is sent a e-mail rejection automatically. That could be something like kids joy riding in someones car. Or something like assault. Any criminal action is a rejection, no matter how experienced or knowledgeable you are. And they will have a lot of other things that will send an automatic rejection. If you don't have exactly the qualifications they want, rejection. Let's say they get 500 applications, the computers may only keep 20 of them for the HR department to even look at.

I know, as one of my family members is currently setting up such a system for a large international corporation.

This is the future of recruiting. It will be very important, that when you fill out an application, that it shows you can be the best possible applicant for that position. If you don't, you won't have a chance to get the position. The one thing, is you will know almost immediately you are not in consideration for the position and to not wait around hoping to get a job that will never materialize.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
A CPA will help you more than a masters...if you want an accounting job. Not to say the masters won't help, but in the field CPA is more valuable.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:21 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
You have to actually be working in public accounting before you can get a CPA license, though, because you have to meet the experience requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California