Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R Higgins View Post
It doesn't matter that MA, NY, PA, Maryland, Delaware, WDC, NJ and CT all have, taken as a whole, more restrictive gun laws. Try doing what CA gun owners take for granted every day in any of those states. No go. What is a *very* important factor not found in the statutes themselves is crucial- the attitudes of the police and courts about gun owners, gun laws, hunting and self-defense... the states I mentioned are trying to make an example of everyone they think they can as a deterrent... this is very different than the Courts and police depts in most of CA, who see a more realistic picture of how things are for gun owners who are law-abiding and responsible... I'd say by percentage there are more legal guns oer 100,000 people for example than all of those more restrictive states and not by a little.

And all those laws didn't pass. I make no apologies for Jerry, but he's a far sight more even-handed about gun laws than Gavin Newsom would be if he ever gets elected... As far as seven vetoed and eleven signed, the biggest signing was the lead hunting ammo law... this is technically less daunting than it is symbolic... making a properly expanding and penetrating bullet is what Hornaday, Nosler, et al do for a living- solve ballistics problems. A bullet made in such a way that it conforms (sic) with those new regs and that is NOT a deal-breaker with the Feds will be awhile in coming and will be more incrementally expensive, yeah... but shotguns still kill birds with steel shot, shotgun chokes still last awhile longer than anyone ever thought they would. And so it'll go with new hunting ammo...

You are making a political point and I agree with you in principle- but CA has no corner on restrictive gun laws... not by a long shot (pun intended)...
The guys that have to buy this stuff now are getting r#$%%ed. it's become a rich man's sport like so many other things. Fifty bucks for a box of ammo? Alexander Arms Online Store - 6.5 Grendel Barnes® 120g TSX™ HPBT (box) - Ammunition by Alexander Arms®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 04:29 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The guys that have to buy this stuff now are getting r#$%%ed. it's become a rich man's sport like so many other things. Fifty bucks for a box of ammo? Alexander Arms Online Store - 6.5 Grendel Barnes® 120g TSX™ HPBT (box) - Ammunition by Alexander Arms®
I'm one of those guys... still hunt and always will. Wild boar is the next outing.

Ammo's never been cheap adjusted for year... some non-CA spec commercial loads of .500 S&W ammo are a lot more expensive, and I have six speed loaders for that cartridge which I like to empty several times a trip. 6.5mm hollow point boattail bullets have never been on the inexpensive end of the scale and they obviously come in different brands... other manufacturers who sell in this state will have different prices... once the kind of ammo CA requires gets under way over a few years I'd expect prices to drop. 15 dollars more per box of 20 at over 2 bucks a round ain't cheap- and the more the merrier I always say when it comes to warming up the barrel... that's why I also handload.

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 10-22-2013 at 04:40 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 06:32 PM

65 posts, read 78,337 times
Why is this one of the biggest debates on this site?

If you're a normal ass person and don't have a good reason to carry a gun (abusive spouse, line of work, hunting) then all you need is a handgun. And if you're all this pissed off and angry then half of you shouldn't be able to carry a gun in a car or something when your passive aggressiveness probably takes the latter.

Collecting guns should require strict permits just as owning rifles should.
We should never take away guns or "history" but let the majority vote be heard. Live in another state if it matters so much to you. Or at most use civil disobedience.

But for god's sake there must be something better to talk about. Like our congress being bought by multinational corporations and taxes that equate to extraction (free money) to said corporations, banks, and firms. Lobbying has gone too far in the last 20 years and Americans are still bickering over this? Our country is literally the laughing stock of the western world because of you boobs.

Stop letting the these people distract you through such petty polarizations.

Liberals and Conservatives are equally at fault.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBright View Post
Why is this one of the biggest debates one here?

If you're a normal ass person and don't have a good reason to carry a gun (abusive spouse, line of work, hunting) then all you need is a handgun. And if you're all this pissed off and angry then half of you shouldn't be able to carry a gun in a car or something when your passive aggressiveness probably takes the latter.
Angry aging men trying to compensate for...something? Same reason many overspend on a showy sportscar?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM

65 posts, read 78,337 times
I love shooting btw... NRA recognized and all. But this whole argument is ridiculous in light of the real problems we face as human beings. And the solutions that are squandered purposefully from us because of lobbying.

It's literally sick.

You people need direction. This rage should not be wasted.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBright View Post
I love shooting btw... NRA recognized and all. But this whole argument is ridiculous in light of the real problems we face as human beings. And the solutions that are squandered purposefully from us because of lobbying.

It's literally sick.

You people need direction. This rage should not be wasted.
I have all the direction I need, SeaBright- for the record I've already done quite a bit of pro bono work with several law firms which specialize in addressing the system(atic and ic) gross inequities that you describe... gun rights are a perfect example in a microcosm of why Big Lobby gets to carve up the pie while the rest of us watch, plates in hand.... like Deep Throat advised in 'All the President's Men', "Follow the money."... advice that applies to our present system in general and to our well-established corporate welfare system. I'd vote for Noam Chomsky and Elizabeth Warren for President and VP (in either office lol) if they'd only run...

I've worked for over 20 years in my spare time, for free, advising people starting 501c3 entities that are involved in the environmental and social justice movements and continue to do so... I'm also starting my own, to address the 'food deserts' in urban areas where the most of the affordable food within a bus ride of food thawing out in a grocery bag is processed cr*p... to get corporate and private sponsorship for this project and I'm also in the process of forming another 501c3 for teaching at risk/low-income kids about tech- coding, etc.... a friend is working on one that will get kids subsidized broadband for a few dollars a month... 'channeling the rage' is what I do when I'm awake!

I grew up in the 1970s- protested against the War when I was a kid in New Haven and NYC, convinced about 600 people to vote for McGovern in 1972 at age 12... it seems they were the only ones who voted for him though lol.

The gun issue is going to be a huge issue going forward as we have a slaughter every two weeks in a school, workplace or government facility... it's also a huge test case for fighting against the corporate shill portion of the NRA while still being a member- kind of a 'reform from both the inside and the outside'... it's all about skill-building, cuz civil disobedience is a verb, eh? A quote from Audre Lorde is what I try to keep in mind... "The Master's tools will never dismantle the Master's house." And what with Constitution-shredding outrages like the Citizens United SCOTUS decision, it's never been more important to channel rage into productive action...

I try to keep a philosophical 'tripod balance' between the Libertarian, the Progressive and the late great Hunter S. Thompson... think the Kalashnikov rifle on the national flag of Mozambique, the writings of Thomas Paine and the piercing wit of the truly enraged (think 'Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail -1972)...

As for my time on this particular thread, there broader issues to which it points... and tapping out a few thoughtful posts on C-D about CA gun laws actually helps me get back to better-focussed work on other more important projects... a side benefit of having ADD!

Our young son has Autism and wife's heavily involved with Autism Awareness (approximately one boy in 55 and one girl in 200 in the U.S. alone) and also is developing a 501c3 that connects different entities for kids on the spectrum wherever they live and go to school- so we're good and getting better...

A friend a long time ago, when we were trapped in the back of a school bus being shipped off to a overnight camp in a program to send inner-city kids to the woods of CT said something about the benefits of channeling rage that has stuck with me for over 40 years... "I stay angry to avoid getting pissed off!" True that.

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 10-22-2013 at 08:22 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Why do you oppose a 10 day waiting period before you purchase a weapon? An inconvenience to you?
Because the actual check only takes a couple minutes over the phone. Its just another thing this anti 2nd amendment, communist state wants to control you with.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R Higgins View Post
If you really need more capacity than 11 rounds, the CA gun laws are the least of your worries. If you require a gun due to what you consider an 'imminent threat' you have bigger problems that require a more complex solution than having a gun in hand so to speak in fewer than 10 days.

These states are under no obligation to issue anything, or even consider issuance. It is *entirely* at the discretion of local law enforcement and in some cases the local DA as well.

In the states I mention the chances of someone who is a 'regular Joe' with no proven *specific*, ongoing need for a CCW (re: process server, private Detective, on-call security provider, bodyguard, etc.) has about as much chance to be granted a CCW in those states as winning the Lottery. Not so in most of CA.
Do you NEED a car that can travel 150mph when the speed limit only goes up to 70mph in most states? Even some handguns come with more than 10 round magazines. I should have the right to carry a gun if I wish. Especially in a state with thousands of criminals roaming the streets and a state that just release over 23 THOUSAND of them back in to public early because this pathetic state is broke. I should have the right to protect myself and my loved ones from criminals roaming the street. No sense arguing with someone who is clearly anti gun. Someone who is pro gun would never ask why you need 11 rounds.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,924 times
So, if you've figured out that:

1) California is anti-gun
2) You hate California
3) You can't wait to move to Oregon and
4) Most of the people in this forum disagree with most of your posts, especially on gun control

Why aren't you living in Portland right now and posting in their forum? I mean that sincerely. Do you just like arguing and rattling cages or what? What exactly are you hoping happens; we all wake up tomorrow and forget why we live in and love California?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 PM

Default Semi-serious reply to a blatant troll post...

oll post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Do you NEED a car that can travel 150mph when the speed limit only goes up to 70mph in most states? Even some handguns come with more than 10 round magazines. I should have the right to carry a gun if I wish. Especially in a state with thousands of criminals roaming the streets and a state that just release over 23 THOUSAND of them back in to public early because this pathetic state is broke. I should have the right to protect myself and my loved ones from criminals roaming the street. No sense arguing with someone who is clearly anti gun. Someone who is pro gun would never ask why you need 11 rounds.
Now you're just trolling, mbell... guess I missed the memo on the Drink The Kool-Aid Litmus Test For Being Pro Gun... there's a difference between 'wanting' and 'needing'... if you *need* more than 11 rounds, carry an extra gun and learn to shoot. In Afghanistan you might need more firepower, not here- if you *imagine* you do you are living in a fantasy, post-apocalyptic world... in which case I'd suggest a high-ground compound in North-Central Idaho and membership in the Aryan Nations if they are still solvent after their encounter with the awesome SPLC... if you are looking for kindred souls in OR, even the remotest reaches of the Willamette Valley have fewer True Believers than any single county in Idaho... Idaho's cheaper, too.

I enjoy and *want* to use 20-30 round magazines in a fully automatic weapon like a Kalashnikov and an MP5 to blow up 50 gallon drums of water and stipple/perforate steel targets and always will... but in a civilian context, if I *need* any more than 10-11 rounds per magazine from any of my semi-automatic and automatic weapons with which I can group 2-3" groups for a fast 11 at 50 yards with my SIG and 12 in 2" group my H&K G28 DMR at 200 yards... I'm moving to Denmark.

Here in the civilian world, 10+ round magazines are only *necessary* for amateurs and baggy-pantsed idiots who hold their guns sideways when they shoot... if you want a serious tactical advantage over 'spray and pray' gang bangers and assorted other low-skill criminals where you live, learn to shoot well and fast... try Massad Ayoob's 'Stressfire' method (good enough for the U.S. Army, etc.) and/or try some low-cost tactical rifle and handgun training at a local gun club or range on an introductory basis... it won't take long before you can double-tap a banger at 25 yards with incredible speed & confidence... and remember the old chestnut- '.45 ACP- because shooting twice is just silly.'

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 10-22-2013 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California