Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:09 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times

Advertisements

You're pretty much proving my point here. The persecution complex is pretty tired. If you claim to be a Christian, act like one. That means being a compassionate person that doesn't judge other people. I know it's difficult, but it's what Jesus would want you to do.

Btw, I'm not an atheist and I don't have a problem with Christians who practice the actual teaching of Jesus. I do have a problem with people who use their faith as an excuse to marginalize other people- especially in the name of the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
If you claim to be a Christian, act like one. That means being a compassionate person that doesn't judge other people. I know it's difficult, but it's what Jesus would want you to do.
I was raised in a very religious way but Im not religious anymore. Yet its funny how some "Christians" are these days. You think Jesus would be ok with homosexuals when it clearly forbids it in the bible? Do you remember what happened to the people of Sodom and Gomorrah? It was full of fornicators and homosexuals and God destroyed it and everyone in it. How about the great flood where God basically said these people are beyond help, time to wipe them out and I'll save the only good ones. If you have this PC, hippy mentality that God is nothing but love and loves everyone and Jesus would love everyone these days too, you are horribly wrong.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
You're pretty much proving my point here. The persecution complex is pretty tired. If you claim to be a Christian, act like one. That means being a compassionate person that doesn't judge other people. I know it's difficult, but it's what Jesus would want you to do.

Btw, I'm not an atheist and I don't have a problem with Christians who practice the actual teaching of Jesus. I do have a problem with people who use their faith as an excuse to marginalize other people- especially in the name of the Bible.
What exactly does any of this have to do with parents not wanting their teenage daughter to share a locker room and /or shower with teenage boys because they think it's inappropriate?

So any parent who thinks that is wrong, therefore a right wing Christian zealot?

C'mon, really? You couldnt possibly be drawing that conclusion.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:49 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
What exactly does any of this have to do with parents not wanting their teenage daughter to share a locker room and /or shower with teenage boys because they think it's inappropriate?

So any parent who thinks that is wrong, therefore a right wing Christian zealot?

He's a university professor. What else do you expect? He can't see the forest for the ivory towers.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

First of all, I'd really like to see an article that substantiates even half the claims that have been made in this thread about the students and parents. So far, I've seen snippets from Fox News and hearsay from posters who claim that students have refused viable alternatives. The governor of CA signed off on this legislation- likely because he had more facts on the matter than the posters in this thread.

Come back with more details and facts and I'm all ears. Otherwise this sounds like typical, reactionary bigotry that you'd expect from bible thumpers who hate anyone that's different from them.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
This state truly makes me sick, I cannot wait to leave.
Which U.S. state do you want to move to?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
First of all, I'd really like to see an article that substantiates even half the claims that have been made in this thread about the students and parents. So far, I've seen snippets from Fox News and hearsay from posters who claim that students have refused viable alternatives. The governor of CA signed off on this legislation- likely because he had more facts on the matter than the posters in this thread.

Come back with more details and facts and I'm all ears. Otherwise this sounds like typical, reactionary bigotry that you'd expect from bible thumpers who hate anyone that's different from them.
okay, but what I asked you was, if any parent found it inappropriate that boys and girls share a bathroom(remove the locker and shower), does that automatically make them a religious zealot?

I certainly hope you dont assign that label to everyone who might still be trying to decide what they believe is in the best interest of their kids.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 PM

If that's truly the case and these transgendered teenagers and parents are really just being difficult and invasive just for the sake of being invasive and difficult, you certainly have a point. I'm not convinced this is the case.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 PM

Here's the case. A six year old, born a boy, identified himself as a girl. There is no medical issue here, but the boy saying he was a girl. The article says that he has a state ID that says female.

The school said he could no longer use the girls bathroom, but:

"Kathryn Mathis said she got a call "out of the blue" from the school in December saying that Coy could use the boys' bathroom, gender-neutral faculty bathrooms or the nurse's bathroom, but not the girls' facilities.

The district "took into account not only Coy, but other students in the building, their parents and the future impact a boy with male genitals using a girls' bathroom would have as Coy grew older," a letter the family's attorney received in December said."

But sorry, the gay and lesbian alliance said that wasn't good enough. They want to force the issue:

""It's sad that the Mathis family had to file a civil rights complaint in order for their daughter to be treated equally," said Herndon Graddick, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, in a statement. "The students clearly aren't the only people at this school who need more education."

Treated equally??? This is what I mean by forcing it on others. The school offered alternatives and no, the parents and the gay and lesbian alliance want to force all the girls to put up with his demands to use their restroom. That's crazy, intrusive and unacceptable.

Parents of transgender first-grader file discrimination complaint - CNN.com

Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
If that's truly the case and these transgendered teenagers and parents are really just being difficult and invasive just for the sake of being invasive and difficult, you certainly have a point. I'm not convinced this is the case.
It doesn't matter if its being difficult or invasive for the sake of it or not. If someone just thinks they are the other gender, that's too bad. The other students should not have their privacy and rights violated.

If the school offers an alternative restroom, then what's the issue? It's just wanting to force themselves on others and its wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: