Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 AM

5 posts, read 11,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

The hospital is very nice, I just had some tests done there recently. If you have any really serious problems and are dying, they usually fly you down to the bigger hospitals in Redding or elsewhere.
Thanks, Woof.

The Western Forests appeal more to me - for the reasons you mention- but there seems to be a dearth of rentals/real estate in those areas.

How bad is the water crisis, really? Rates super inflated right now?

Leaning more towards Shasta View/Lake Shasta Vista/Mt Shasta per this thread -- thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,104,781 times
The further south in Siskiyou County you go toward the mountain, the more water there is, and the prettier the scenery is. I think the situation up north around Yreka is that people have to dig wells outside of town, but don't really know too much about it as I am a renter with water included. I don't believe it's expensive at all around Mt Shasta City, there are major corporations in the area bottling water around there. News/classified at Home - Mount Shasta Herald - Mount Shasta, CA - Mount Shasta, CA

Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 43,902 times
Hello Agilek9s,

In response to your question about any negatives I've discovered since moving here, I would only say one is taking some adjustment: the wind. I enjoy working in the garden and finding plants that will co-exist with rabbits and deer; the wind weathers the younger plants and I need to water them more and provide a wind break for the tomatoes as well as the netting.
Also, I find wind tires me a bit too. I enjoy reading though so I do my chores and then settle in for a read during the strongest winds.

As to drugs, I don't use them and therefore am not aware of the prevalence here. Is there anywhere where drugs aren't prevalent? In my daily activities I have yet to encounter this; I'm sure it must exist. The people I've met so far are working people or retired people who have come here for a similar purpose -- like my new neighbors. We are all meditators on a spiritual path, different traditions, yet seeking the same contemplative lifestyle of peaceful harmony with nature and spiritual growth.

I agree with one who wrote about the beauty of Mt Shasta area as being appealing. I would also like to have lived there, but nothing was then on the market I was interested in or could afford. But I can visit; it's about an hour's drive. It's also a very spiritual community, and would not be too far for you to commute to Yreka (about 45 minutes.)

It is a change; no doubt about it. If you are accustomed to lots of goings on and mixing with people and so on. Hornbrook is very isolated. My AT&T cellphone carrier (Consumer Cellular) is rarely accessible at my house; service picks up about 4 miles west of my home. So, I've installed a land line phone. There is satellite Internet service though.
Back to the topic of activity: Since Ashland is about a half hour from me I go there for many things from health food store, farm grange, warm springs & pool, medical services, University library, public library, plays and music. From Yreka it would be about 50 minutes; from Mt Shasta, about an hour an a half.

I have a beautiful view of Mt Shasta and the Klamath River. I've become an owner in the R-Ranch and met kind people who enjoy activities such as camping, horseback riding, hiking, fishing, and there are hunting enthusiasts.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:24 PM

63 posts, read 217,145 times
If you want truly country living, log onto Modoc County, Calif. and Alturas, the County Seat. Set at the western base of the 50-mile long Warner Mts. with 2 or 3000 people, it's like a step back in time! Susanville, 50 miles south, is the only town of good size in the area. Hunting and fishing are the real deal, with Goose Lake to the north, extending into Eastern Oregon, and small lakes within the Warner Mts. Property prices are low, low, low, from $75K on up. The town has all necessary facilities including a hospital, and several large seasonal events. Check it out, it's the last frontier in Calif. except for the northwest, which is more like the mts of Kentucky and W. Virginia, and has a reputation for pot growers with attitudes..

Old 10-22-2014, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 5,826 times
I'd frankly cross the border into Ashland, OR. Far prettier and more going on their than the gas station in Yreka. http://lifehealthus.com/image/images/122.gif

Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 AM

12 posts, read 16,872 times
Ashland is pretty - but - I like Yreka a LOT. Right now I live about 4 minutes from Yreka, but we are in the county. We moved from Klamath River where it took at least 45 minutes to get to Yreka. It was just too far and cost too much to go grocery shopping and attend church. I would never want to live in Yreka or any city for that matter. We rent, but we are looking to buy an acre or more and put a manufactured home on it. Most of the land we have found is in the Hornbrook area. But I have not found out how deep the wells are generally, in that area, or how much they cost.

As far as 'more going on'... the less the better imo.

Someone mentioned that the KRCE HOA was being disband or something like that. Is it true the HOA is no longer? I would be happy if that was the case... I really hate that sort of thing.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:21 AM

12 posts, read 16,872 times
Ashland is pretty - but - I like Yreka a LOT. Right now I live about 4 minutes from Yreka, but we are in the county. We moved from Klamath River where it took at least 45 minutes to get to Yreka. It was just too far and cost too much to go grocery shopping and attend church. I would never want to live in Yreka or any city for that matter. We rent, but we are looking to buy an acre or more and put a manufactured home on it. Most of the land we have found is in the Hornbrook area. But I have not found out how deep the wells are generally, in that area, or how much they cost.

As far as 'more going on'... the less the better imo.

Someone mentioned that the KRCE HOA was being disband or something like that. Is it true the HOA is no longer? I would be happy if that was the case... I really hate that sort of thing.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,088 times
I agree with Hornbrookhell. The new HOA Board are not the sharpest tool in the box and want to change the CCR to allow pot growing and hunting within the residential boundries. Can you image! OMG! Also they want to increase the due to cover a wish list the newbees have but together. No consideration of the cost or what effect it will have on the community as a whole. Their priority is growing pot and hunting and these yahoos don't even list in Hornbrook. One is from Washington state, another lives in England and another in Redding. It is unbelievable.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,904 times
Default past krce board

This is in fact incorrect. The last board was so corrupt that the owners had to find board members from out of the area. Even one from the uk. And Washington state. The corruption was so great the blue hair group would fine you 500 dollars for wearing a camo jacket on the street. Also assosation has over 100 acres of Common area for the members with the blue hair group and dopey the president they would fine you 500 dollars for walking on a horse trail with binoculars. .. they called it scouting. ... (stupid) also they paid the 4 hour a day 4 day office sec. 36.000. I think it is like 46 dollars per hour (Fleecing) they had a law no cultivation. So you could grow your garden but could not pic the tomatoes or you would get a 500 dollar fine. The blue hair group. Tried but not to smart. If they don't want dope growers then right rules that say no dope growing. The last bunch would drive to Medford for a Reem of paper and charge the association 300 dollars. Amazon and Walmart have free shipping. Did I say fleecing. I am glad they fired the campground host. . So don't believe what you see from the blue hair trolls. So sorry the last board got their asses handed to them. The new guys are great. And cute.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,104,781 times
Blue hair group? They don't happen to patrol the streets together in similar-colored cars, keeping an over-obvious eye on people they don't approve of, do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California