Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:44 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

I was done with the thread until I just caught this from SF Gate news ... guess what's in some fast-food chicken nuggets?

You won't believe what scientists found in chicken nuggets
http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/201...icken-nuggets/

This, OT, is what your champions of business are feeding to the people while paying minimum wages.
Question for you: Do you really think this is what the people want, as you say?
Do the people know what is in what they ask for?
Should we, the taxpaying public, subsidize this kind of business rather than raise the minimum wage?
Ok with you to use slave labor to profit from serving this muck?

Looking forward to hearing back from you on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 10:49 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I never denied the fructose molecules in fruits and in sucrose are the same. I pointed out how they are individually recognized, wherever the body finds them, and separated and processed differently
What you pointed out had nothing to do with my comments which were to point out that the sugars in fruits are the same as sugars found in refined sugar products. To say it once again, fruits contain a variety of sugars and not just fructose.

Quote:
This is, in fact, the key to why all grains can be addictive sources of sugar. All grains have a moderate to high GI. The more the grains are processed, the greater the ease with which they give up their sugar.
It would be great if whole grains were addictive, they positively impact people's health, but unfortunately they aren't. The brain doesn't respond the same way to starch and sugars even though starch is broken done into glucose in the small intestine. To your mouth and stomach, starch isn't sweet (or sugar) and it doesn't trigger the same response.

But yeah, grains have moderate to high GI, and the sky is blue. Who cares? A healthy body can process high glycemic starches until the cows come home.....we are built to digest large amounts of starch. That is why starchy foods formed the base of very civilized diet on the planet........that was no accident.

As with the claim that grains promote obesity, anybody that claims that high glycemic foods promote obesity will have a hard time explaining what one sees in the world. Namely, there are a number of populations that subsist on high glycemic foods (white rice, potatoes, etc) and have very low rates of obesity. Indeed, the most long lived populations subsist on such foods.

You eat however you wish, and I'll gobble down as much whole grains, potatoes, etc that I can fit in my big mouth. But national health policy should be based on science not speculation about caveman.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What you pointed out had nothing to do with my comments which were to point out that the sugars in fruits are the same as sugars found in refined sugar products. To say it once again, fruits contain a variety of sugars and not just fructose.

It would be great if whole grains were addictive, they positively impact people's health, but unfortunately they aren't. The brain doesn't respond the same way to starch and sugars even though starch is broken done into glucose in the small intestine. To your mouth and stomach, starch isn't sweet (or sugar) and it doesn't trigger the same response.

But yeah, grains have moderate to high GI, and the sky is blue. Who cares? A healthy body can process high glycemic starches until the cows come home.....we are built to digest large amounts of starch. That is why starchy foods formed the base of very civilized diet on the planet........that was no accident.

As with the claim that grains promote obesity, anybody that claims that high glycemic foods promote obesity will have a hard time explaining what one sees in the world. Namely, there are a number of populations that subsist on high glycemic foods (white rice, potatoes, etc) and have very low rates of obesity. Indeed, the most long lived populations subsist on such foods.

You eat however you wish, and I'll gobble down as much whole grains, potatoes, etc that I can fit in my big mouth. But national health policy should be based on science not speculation about caveman.
I delivered a hell of a lot more science in this thread than you did, user ... no speculation about it ... link after to link to back it up. G'nighty night though ... I'm waiting for OT to tell us how the public wants chicken-fat, bone, and blood vessels making up 50% - 60% of their nugget lunches .... Mmmmmmmm

Old 10-04-2013, 11:49 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:

You won't believe what scientists found in chicken nuggets

Old 10-05-2013, 02:54 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
user-id

You hate everything about fast food restaurants. Have you considered that the foods you want them to change to may be worse for you.

Here are 50 foods that are not good for you. Note they include veggie burgers in restaurants.

50 Seemingly Healthy Foods that are Bad for You|Shape Magazine

Have you considered beans are not the great food you think they are.

Are Beans Healthy: Why Legumes Aren't A Health Food

What

Have you considered that grains are not the great food you think they are.

Here is one article that sums up numerous from scientists.

How Grains Are Killing You Slowly - Wellness Mama

Dr Oz----http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/todays-wheat-making-you-gain-weight

Mark Sisson: Why Grains Are Unhealthy

Are Whole Grains Healthy Or Bad For You? - BuiltLean

Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says - CBS News

Why is Bread Bad For You? The Shocking Truth

What Is Wrong With Grains | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

Old 10-05-2013, 08:05 PM

Uh-oh ...

Old 10-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You hate everything about fast food restaurants.
I dislike two things about fast food restaurants: 1.) They typically serve junk food, 2.) they typically under pay their workers.

Quote:
Here are 50 foods that are not good for you. Note they include veggie burgers in restaurants.
As I said before, just because something is "vegetarian" doesn't mean its healthy. A veggie burger can be just as bad for you as a traditional burger, what I mentioned went well beyond suggesting that they serve "veggie burgers". A bean and vegetable patty, fresh vegetables, a light sauce on a whole wheat bum would be a healthful burger.

Quote:
Have you considered beans are not the great food you think they are.
Sure, but studies on legume consumption consistently demonstrate health benefits. You'll notice that all the things you're citing aren't from medical organizations, scientific bodies, etc.....instead they are from fad diet (paleo and primal) authors.

Recipe for health: cheap, nutritious beans - Harvard Health Publications

Old 10-06-2013, 01:16 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I dislike two things about fast food restaurants: 1.) They typically serve junk food, 2.) they typically under pay their workers.

As I said before, just because something is "vegetarian" doesn't mean its healthy. A veggie burger can be just as bad for you as a traditional burger, what I mentioned went well beyond suggesting that they serve "veggie burgers". A bean and vegetable patty, fresh vegetables, a light sauce on a whole wheat bum would be a healthful burger.

Sure, but studies on legume consumption consistently demonstrate health benefits. You'll notice that all the things you're citing aren't from medical organizations, scientific bodies, etc.....instead they are from fad diet (paleo and primal) authors.

Recipe for health: cheap, nutritious beans - Harvard Health Publications
The issue is soy with veggie burgers, also soy in general. It is Absolutely horrible stuff and I avoid it like the plague. I never had that issue up until a few years ago. Our food supply has major issues.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The issue is soy with veggie burgers, also soy in general. It is Absolutely horrible stuff and I avoid it like the plague. I never had that issue up until a few years ago. Our food supply has major issues.
One an make a bean/vegetable patty out of any legume not just soy. Soy may not agree with you, but the consumption of soy products like tofu, tempeh, etc is consistently associated with health benefits.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Could Eating Too Much Soy Be Bad for You?: Scientific American

Not everyone agrees with you on Soy.

Natural Health Center: The Dangers of Tofu

Dr. Joseph Mercola: The Health Dangers of Soy

Tofu Does Not Equal Eating Healthy | Soybeans

BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Tofu 'may raise risk of dementia'

The Dangers of Soy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California