Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 PM

199 posts, read 400,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody is saying this at all and yes, believe it or not people DO "understand". Do you "understand" that COL has risen but wages have not? That's kind of a big deal. And again, if a business can't keep up maybe they aren't really a business.

I doubt a minimum wage bump is going to ruin anyone given that these employers aren't giving many hours or any benefits to the minimum wage employees as it it. Nobody is asking for LIVING WAGE with guaranteed full time hours here...

If it costs more to put gas in your car than you make at your 20 hr a week min wage job you are going to have problems. We have problems.
Have you ever run a business? Needless to say, no you haven't. What does COL have to do with a business' bottom line? Businesses are in business to make money, not to cover people's cost of living.

Whether you can support yourself on a burger-flipper's salary is YOUR problem. If you can, great for you. If you can't, get another job. Get two. Get three. Go to school. Start your own business. There are limitless options for you, as an employee, for bettering your situation. Extorting the business you work for is not one of them. It's short-sighted and it's against what this country was founded on.

If you want to be guaranteed a living wage no matter how lame you are, go live in a communist country and write me about how great it is (assuming the local store has paper in stock).

All raising the minimum wage (and imposing a minimum wage in the first place) does is stifle economic growth. There's nothing wrong with a business and an individual agreeing to how much money one will work for the other. Imposing government regulations on that only serves to bully one side and handicap the other.

Instead of two teenagers getting a head start in the working world making $5/hr you're going to have them sitting at home playing video games and puffing away their mind while Mr. I Was Too Busy Getting High In School To Study But Now I Need Work To Pay Child Support gets $10/hr.

Congratulations, you've just created an entire new generation of deadbeats and hopeless losers. Always better to think with a naive and misguided bleeding heart than with your brain, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Yeah it's wonderful. I just got done working a 14 hr day and on way home I stopped to get a burger at Burger King. I get home and ITS THE WRONG F'ING BURGER its nowhere near anything what I ordered with the exception there is two pieces of bread and one grilled meat substance. So yeah technically I did get a burger. I order a Ferrari and I get a Yugo.. And these retards want another two bucks a hour. Hey how about you go back to school to relearn what words are and go talk to your manager and retrain on how to run a simple cash register. And you want another two bucks a hour? What for? You're still as stupid as before just better paid.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
Have you ever run a business? Needless to say, no you haven't. What does COL have to do with a business' bottom line? Businesses are in business to make money, not to cover people's cost of living.

Whether you can support yourself on a burger-flipper's salary is YOUR problem. If you can, great for you. If you can't, get another job. Get two. Get three. Go to school. Start your own business. There are limitless options for you, as an employee, for bettering your situation. Extorting the business you work for is not one of them. It's short-sighted and it's against what this country was founded on.

If you want to be guaranteed a living wage no matter how lame you are, go live in a communist country and write me about how great it is (assuming the local store has paper in stock).

All raising the minimum wage (and imposing a minimum wage in the first place) does is stifle economic growth. There's nothing wrong with a business and an individual agreeing to how much money one will work for the other. Imposing government regulations on that only serves to bully one side and handicap the other.

Instead of two teenagers getting a head start in the working world making $5/hr you're going to have them sitting at home playing video games and puffing away their mind while Mr. I Was Too Busy Getting High In School To Study But Now I Need Work To Pay Child Support gets $10/hr.

Congratulations, you've just created an entire new generation of deadbeats and hopeless losers. Always better to think with a naive and misguided bleeding heart than with your brain, right?
Again, in the two places in this country I gave as examples, nothing you are saying has come true. In fact, the local economies seem to benefit from it. So why would the state of California be different than other places that have increased their minimum wages?

Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah it's wonderful. I just got done working a 14 hr day and on way home I stopped to get a burger at Burger King. I get home and ITS THE WRONG F'ING BURGER its nowhere near anything what I ordered with the exception there is two pieces of bread and one grilled meat substance. So yeah technically I did get a burger. I order a Ferrari and I get a Yugo.. And these retards want another two bucks a hour. Hey how about you go back to school to relearn what words are and go talk to your manager and retrain on how to run a simple cash register. And you want another two bucks a hour? What for? You're still as stupid as before just better paid.
You get what you pay for. In more ways than one.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:44 PM

199 posts, read 400,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You get what you pay for. In more ways than one.
In other words, because Burger King employees aren't getting a "living wage", it's okay for them to do a **** poor job? Also, the guy deserved it because he's eating Burger King and not some fancy organic vegan place that donates 5% of their proceeds to saving the sub-glacial rainforests in Canada. Am I right?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
In other words, because Burger King employees aren't getting a "living wage", it's okay for them to do a **** poor job? Also, the guy deserved it because he's eating Burger King and not some fancy organic vegan place that donates 5% of their proceeds to saving the sub-glacial rainforests in Canada. Am I right?
More than reason enough to turn thumbs-down on the increase.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:19 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,833 times
Quote:
How does COL not effect the bottom line of a good business?

Good businesses will take into consideration that a healthy, happy worker is a money maker. If you have an employee making a long commute as they can't afford to live at least a commutable distance, or employees can't afford basic health insurance, or any of those things related to basic living -- you will have a disgruntled, unhappy, and possibly even sickly employee.

All of those boil down to effecting the bottom line at a business. It's not tangible, but definitely there. (edit: tangible as in what also effects bottom line but is out of usual thinking.)

Old 09-15-2013, 12:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
"Living Wage" isn't what this is about. Get in the right debate here.

There are no "in other words". The words are: if you pay so little that it's not worth the gas money you are not going to get a quality employee. Look around, you know it's true. We don't even have to talk about minimum wage to get that fact.

The rest of your rant is lost on me. I have no idea what rainforests have to do what I'm saying. I think you are reflecting and projecting and going off topic because subject has gotten away from you and you don't know what else to say. Am I right?

Old 09-15-2013, 01:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well you were rich. When I started working in 1964 the minimum wage was $1.25 and hour which today would only be $9.42.

Better be careful. Someone's liable to tell you that you're what's wrong with the country too.
So by your own baseline a significant increase in minimum wage would be justified, just to keep pace with the standard of living nearly 50 years ago.

As far as me being what is wrong with the country goes, always glad to engage in a constructive debate.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:40 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Restrictive land use laws are also what keeps the state from having a population of about 100 million, most of whom would cram themselves into the coastal areas like rats in the NY subway ... jamming the roads and parks and every kind of infrastructure, while creating water and electricity and sewage-treatment demand that couldn't be fulfilled by any vaguely sane method.

Good idea. Let's just keep growing and expanding ... you know, like cancer.
Yes, but if private business engaging in policies that are keeping the poor down in the gutter are bad, evil and must be outlawed, why are public government policies that keep the poor down in the gutter OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California