Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times

Advertisements

Hoping maybe a larger more diverse group may interject thoughts/opinions/experience on living and working in the Santa Cruz area. We're relocating mid-December. Don't need info on cost of living or
schools...just wanna know if it's a nice 'feel good' place to live.

Thanks, Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
I personally don't care a whole lot for the city of Santa Cruz itself. It's a bit grimy and rundown for my taste. From my experience many residents there are somewhat insular and don't necessarily appreciate outsiders coming in.

Overall, Santa Cruz county is very scenic and mostly laid back. The area doesn't have a ton of jobs and many people commute "over the hill" to Silicon Valley. I much prefer areas like Aptos/Capitola and areas south of Santa Cruz on hwy. 1 over the city of SC itself.

Further inland in the redwoods are towns like Boulder Creek/Felton/Scotts Valley which are closer to Silicon Valley but are further from the coast. They are family-friendly, safe communities.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:12 PM

211 posts, read 373,200 times
It is! I grew up in Watsonville and loved it. Theres a lot of great areas in the county. Watsonville, Aptos, La Selva Beach, Capitola, Soquel, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek, Felton, Scotts Valley. Santa Cruz itself has nice and not so nice areas.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:58 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Hoping maybe a larger more diverse group may interject thoughts/opinions/experience on living and working in the Santa Cruz area. We're relocating mid-December. Don't need info on cost of living or
schools...just wanna know if it's a nice 'feel good' place to live.

Thanks, Koale
Avoid certain neighborhoods, and yes - the downtown is mediocre and generally overflowing with moderately aggressive transients. The city itself has a very high crime rate - up there with Vallejo and Stockton - a decades long policy of counter-culture led to something more sinister than the flower power hippyism some were hoping for.

However, the rest of the county is much nicer than Santa Cruz city itself. I would recommend the Aptos area.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion_Exchange View Post
It is! I grew up in Watsonville and loved it. Theres a lot of great areas in the county. Watsonville, Aptos, La Selva Beach, Capitola, Soquel, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek, Felton, Scotts Valley. Santa Cruz itself has nice and not so nice areas.
Years ago we lived in the Monterey/Prunetucky area (Prunedale), & fished a lot at Pinto Lake in Watsonville. Sometimes we brought the American Clipper motorhome over to the lake. Had some great times there...
Pinto Lake Park: RV campground, quiet lake camping near the Monterey Bay / Santa Cruz

Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I like Scott's Valley, Aptos, Capitola and Soquel better than SC. I commute there about once a week for work (sales calls) and generally enjoy my stay there.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:28 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Santa Cruz city is a GREAT place to VISIT.

The smaller towns out in the county are much better if you're just looking to enjoy "laid back," though. And to live, should one choose.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:38 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
I don't see the problem living in Santa Cruz. It has a lot of good areas. Lots going on and decent weather. There r 2 high schools, I hear Harbor is lesser of the two.

It's population has been expanding too, so I am sure some people see the desire to move there too.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:29 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I personally don't care a whole lot for the city of Santa Cruz itself. It's a bit grimy and rundown for my taste. From my experience many residents there are somewhat insular and don't necessarily appreciate outsiders coming in.

Overall, Santa Cruz county is very scenic and mostly laid back. The area doesn't have a ton of jobs and many people commute "over the hill" to Silicon Valley. I much prefer areas like Aptos/Capitola and areas south of Santa Cruz on hwy. 1 over the city of SC itself.

Further inland in the redwoods are towns like Boulder Creek/Felton/Scotts Valley which are closer to Silicon Valley but are further from the coast. They are family-friendly, safe communities.
This is also my take on Santa Cruz & general vicinity. I don't know about the insular bit, but others have said the same things about it being insular on these forums.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Avoid certain neighborhoods, and yes - the downtown is mediocre and generally overflowing with moderately aggressive transients. The city itself has a very high crime rate - up there with Vallejo and Stockton - a decades long policy of counter-culture led to something more sinister than the flower power hippyism some were hoping for.

However, the rest of the county is much nicer than Santa Cruz city itself. I would recommend the Aptos area.
Eh, I'm no Santa Cruz booster, but I don't think the crime there is as high as Stockton or Vallejo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California