Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 AM

364 posts, read 610,943 times

Advertisements

I do feel guilty posting this. By doing so I'm no better than the wack-job progressives who get the media to start screaming every time we have a warm day. But I can't resist. So:

Arctic blast to drop temperatures in U.S. to lows not seen in years - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
If you get a chance, watch the documentary Chasing Ice Chasing Ice . It premiered at Sundance Film Festival a year ago (Jan 2013) and is now available on Netflix http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ch...9?locale=en-US.

I was there at the premier, and listened to the director take Q&A after the movie (a split of both technical film-making questions and content questions), and had a chance to talk to him for 5 mins after the Q&A was over.

One thing to note is that there is a distinction between being a documentary and being non-fiction. I've learned over the years that most documentarians have a point of view, and they craft their movie to argue their point of view. That is, a documentary is not peer reviewed & published in an academic journal with the intent of advancing science. It is intended to articulate the director's point of view & to make money for the investors.

Having said that, I thought Chasing Ice was pretty honest as far as documentaries go. The director has his point of view (retreating glaciers are not a good thing) and that's OK . It gives a stunning visual of the retreat of glaciers using time lapsed photography, and the documentary went into detail of the technical difficulties in capturing the visual record due to the extreme cold & weather conditions.

I don't recall if it was in the movie itself, or if it was in the Q&A afterwards, but the director said approximately 2/3 of the major glaciers in the northern hemisphere are retreating, and 1/3 are advancing based on the visual data gathered by their efforts.

Then, I also suggest you watch Pandora's Promise Pandora . It is also available on Netflix Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online. In this documentary, it is interesting to note that several far-left anti-nuclear activists, after evaluating real world data, change their mind. In this documentary, they assert that mankind's last best chance to avert catastrophic climate change is for the planet to race fast to deploy nuclear energy.

That's right - far-left environmentalists say they changed their opinions to support nuclear energy after digging into the safety data.

Again, as a documentary, it promotes a specific point of view.

The data they present are as astounding as the visual data portrayed in Chasing Ice.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Everyone should read US physics professor: 'Global warming is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life' – Telegraph Blogs .

Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,559 times
Everyone do their homework now. Research HAARP, Ionospheric Heaters and Ionospheric Modification. Write a report.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:23 PM

While Californians sacrifice to make the world cooler Mother Nature seem to be doing a pretty good job all by herself:

4406 record cold temps in January

Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Chicago has now had 20 days with sub-zero minimum temperatures so far this year, five short of the all-time record.

Funny how the global warming zealots can'r explain that either.

An even bigger mistake was the Governator's signing of the preposterous and hilariously entitled 'Global Warming Solutions Act' several years ago, which has zero chance of working as long as the Chinese continue their government driven staggering levels of expenditures on heavy industry, which has not surprisingly led to deadly levels of pollution over there, which will eventually waft towards California.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:10 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Chicago has now had 20 days with sub-zero minimum temperatures so far this year, five short of the all-time record.

Funny how the global warming zealots can'r explain that either.

An even bigger mistake was the Governator's signing of the preposterous and hilariously entitled 'Global Warming Solutions Act' several years ago, which has zero chance of working as long as the Chinese continue their government driven staggering levels of expenditures on heavy industry, which has not surprisingly led to deadly levels of pollution over there, which will eventually waft towards California.
You do know it's Global Climate Change, right?

Quote:
The major scientific agencies of the United States — including the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) — agree that climate change is occurring and that humans are contributing to it. In 2010, the National Research Council concluded that "Climate change is occurring, is very likely caused by human activities, and poses significant risks for a broad range of human and natural systems". [1] Many independent scientific organizations have released similar statements, both in the United States and abroad. This doesn't necessarily mean that every scientist sees eye to eye on each component of the climate change problem, but broad agreement exists that climate change is happening and is primarily caused by excess greenhouse gases from human activities.
Scientists are still researching a number of important questions, including exactly how much Earth will warm, how quickly it will warm, and what the consequences of the warming will be in specific regions of the world. Scientists continue to research these questions so society can be better informed about how to plan for a changing climate. However, enough certainty exists about basic causes and effects of climate change to justify taking actions that reduce future risks.
Climate Change Facts: Answers to Common Questions | Climate Change | US EPA

Old 02-15-2014, 12:02 AM

Climate Change is the new jargon that the global warming fraudsters are using in place of Global Warming. It is simply an admission that they have lost their campaign to fool everyone about global warming. There has been no warming for the last 17 years. All the global warming fraudsters ever had was a bunch of government-funded computer models that were rigged to say the polar ice caps were going the melt and we would all be under water by now. Was all a big lie.

So now they have given up on using the words global warming and have replaced them with climate change. They hope to make a fuss every time the wind blows too much - or not enough. They will scream every time there is too much rain or too little. They think that they have dreamed up a way to manufacture a constant crisis. Problem is that nobody cares anymore. Global warming-climate change or whatever they call it is not on peoples' minds. What people are concerned about is this lousy economy that the administration is causing.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
Problem is that nobody cares anymore. Global warming-climate change or whatever they call it is not on peoples' minds. What people are concerned about is this lousy economy that the administration is causing.
As long as Fox News keeps telling you guys this and it allows you to gleefully ignore science, then you are correct. There is not much on such people's minds.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:47 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine7793 View Post
I do feel guilty posting this. By doing so I'm no better than the wack-job progressives who get the media to start screaming every time we have a warm day. But I can't resist. So:

Arctic blast to drop temperatures in U.S. to lows not seen in years - CNN.com
Especially since scientists have repeatedly said climate change would cause this as the jet stream dipped further and further south. I.E., yes, climate change means more extremes in both directions even as the average gets warmer on a global scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California