Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,312,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Yes! You could cut and paste the posts from any state ... towns big or small ... and it wouldn't make any difference. It all reads the same.

What's fascinating to me is the fantasy that people are actually "nicer" and less rude elsewhere. The idea that, if you move ... it will be different.

I've lived all over, and I gave up on that fantasy a long time ago. It just ain't gonna happen.

You can't change human nature.
But you can change how many of them you encounter on a 5 mile trip. More people = more a$$holes crossing your path
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:37 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,278,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
But you can change how many of them you encounter on a 5 mile trip. More people = more a$$holes crossing your path
I assume you're referring to smaller towns ... where you get the litany of other complaints like ...

There's nothing to do here ...
There's no jobs, no decent pay ...
People are too small minded ...
I don't have as many shopping options ...
There's no social life ...
This place is an armpit ...

Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think what we're really dealing with here is ... people are searching for something utopian and, when it inevitably doesn't happen ...

Then we get the ... THIS PLACE SUCKS posts ...

Unfortunately ... life is still life no matter where you move.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:01 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,595,545 times
Quote:
It sounds like if you moved to any large urban area, you'd encounter the same things that you dislike so much about Southern California. Why is it then that in many of your posts, you seem to imply that the things you complain about are specific to California? I'm guessing NYC and DC aren't on your list of places you plan to escape to?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,595,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I think what we're really dealing with here is ... people are searching for something utopian and, when it inevitably doesn't happen ...

Then we get the ... THIS PLACE SUCKS posts ...

Unfortunately ... life is still life no matter where you move.
So true. People need to understand that no place is perfect. There's give and take to all things in life. The repetitive "This place sucks" threads get on my nerves because many times, people who are not happy in a specific place don't want to believe that it is possible for anyone else to be happy there.

I don't care if there are people who don't like California. That's fine, we're all different with different preferences and tastes. What I don't like is when people come on here and just post over and over again the same old "California is a cesspool" posts, or "Everything will be better once I finally leave this hell on earth. Anyone who moves here is an idiot!"

Old 11-18-2007, 08:15 PM

24,453 posts, read 33,122,402 times
Quote:
Native or not, they're here in large numbers.
But it's like saying if I move to New York after living in Calif all my life and driving bad over there, I would be referred to (incorrectly) as a bad New York driver.
See what I mean?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,837 times
Unfortuantely, those who blame the location for the behavior of idiots are bound to find that no matter where they go, the place is always going to be bad. The problem is not SoCal (I am a transplanted OBtian living in Denver), the problem is the inherent rudeness in a society with too many toys and not enough socialization.
I loved every person I knew in California but I ran into insensitive people there as well.
I run into them daily in Denver, have also run into them im KC as well as in VA, DC, NYC, MN, WI, MA, MS, FL, GA, AL, AR, NE, SD, ND, WY, OR, and every other state, City and town in the country
I have found that when one focuses on the few rude or inconsiderate people they happen to encounter in a new town, one will only see only those people and ignore the good, fun and friendly people around them.....
Attitude begets attitude
Take a deep breath, go to the beach and listen to the ocean, soak in the rays, go have a margarita and wash down some ceviche while looking for the Green Flash and thank the Universe for allowing you to live in that beauty, then try to laugh at the inherent inanity of man. You will live longer.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,312,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
It sounds like if you moved to any large urban area, you'd encounter the same things that you dislike so much about Southern California. Why is it then that in many of your posts, you seem to imply that the things you complain about are specific to California? I'm guessing NYC and DC aren't on your list of places you plan to escape to?
No, I certainly will not under any circumstances be moving to NYC or DC. Not everything I complain about is specific to Southern California, but Southern California has a lot more of the problems because its too damn big and crowded for its own good.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 AM

605 posts, read 859,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Surfer View Post
I have found that when one focuses on the few rude or inconsiderate people they happen to encounter in a new town, one will only see only those people and ignore the good, fun and friendly people around them.....
Attitude begets attitude
Take a deep breath, go to the beach and listen to the ocean, soak in the rays, go have a margarita and wash down some ceviche while looking for the Green Flash and thank the Universe for allowing you to live in that beauty, then try to laugh at the inherent inanity of man. You will live longer.
Positive posts like these are a breath of fresh air

*drools* over the ceviche..

Old 11-19-2007, 04:10 AM

24,453 posts, read 33,122,402 times
Quote:
No, I certainly will not under any circumstances be moving to NYC or DC. Not everything I complain about is specific to Southern California, but Southern California has a lot more of the problems because its too damn big and crowded for its own good.
It didn't used to be crowded. It only became crowded because so many people like it here!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,278,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
What I don't like is when people come on here and just post over and over again the same old "California is a cesspool" posts, or "Everything will be better once I finally leave this hell on earth. Anyone who moves here is an idiot!"
Yeah ... I wish they would go ahead and leave but, a lot of times, it seems to be all talk and no action.

I also think people do expect more out of California than other places ... mostly because of what they see on TV, movies, etc.

When I lived in the Bay Area, I did meet people who thought that the sheer act of moving there would somehow solve all of their other problems which, of course, it didn't. I'm sure the same thing happens when people move to LA, etc.

So ... I also think we're dealing with unrealistic expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California