Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,155,604 times

Advertisements

The title of this thread is about rude people, but the OP immediately goes into complaining about rude DRIVERS, which is different.

We have plenty of rude drivers here along the front range as well, but the people actually seem pretty nice. The problem is, drivers don't see other drivers as people, they see them as obstacles. That sort of anonymity increases the tendency to just look out for yourself and not think about how it affects others... kind of like on an internet forum.

I lived in SD and OC for a number of years and the people there did not really seem rude or inconsiderate to me. Self absorbed and a bit aloof, perhaps, but not rude. Many of them did seem to think the world revolved around SoCal (like why would anyone live anywhere else?), which was annoying at times. But overall it was a nice place to be and I might even think of going back someday if it wasn't so expensive, crowded and hot. I do often miss the water, but that's what vacations are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM

90 posts, read 360,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
The problem is, drivers don't see other drivers as people, they see them as obstacles.
Yeah, you'll get that in any metro area large enough to have a seriously backed-up traffic grid that causes an almost continuous "rush hour". People just get so sick and tired of constantly being slowed down by the sheer number of cars on the road that they become intolerant of even the most minimal delays.

Quote:
I lived in SD and OC for a number of years and the people there did not really seem rude or inconsiderate to me. Self absorbed and a bit aloof, perhaps, but not rude.
I figure this is also a consequence of the sheer number of people - you're used to pretty much anyone you randomly run into on the street being a total stranger who you will never see again, so there's a less of a sense of accountability to actually be polite to that person. I generally won't be chatty with strangers and won't speak unless spoken to (mostly b/c I'm an introvert and I find small talk to be incredibly draining), but I won't be rude to them either - if I accidentally bump into a person or can otherwise tell I've slowed them down, I will say "excuse me" or somehow apologize for being an obstacle.

Quote:
Many of them did seem to think the world revolved around SoCal (like why would anyone live anywhere else?), which was annoying at times.
That's interesting; my personal take is that I can't see why someone who didn't grow up here but who moved here due to school or work would have any desire to stay here. Most other places you could come from are less crowded and polluted and probably seem a little less impersonal - and then there's the whole cost of living thing. But if you grew up here, I can see getting attached to enough conveniences and enough things that you're closed to that it would become difficult to leave. I have no desire to move out of L.A. despite how impossible it seems that I'll ever actually own a home here. But I have friends from other parts of the country, and not that I want to get rid of them or anything, but I sort of secretly hope they'll one day find a less hectic place to settle down. Lots of folks from L.A. seem to have that sort of love/hate relationship with it.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 8,315 times
We have lived in Orange County for 2 years and the people here are the rudest and most inconsiderate people I have ever come across. Before you Californians jump all over me because getting defensive is what you do best, keep in mind that I am a California NATIVE! I was born here and I have lived here all my life, but my parents are from elsewhere and taught me manners and courtesy. You people may have money but you don't have any class.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:51 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,925,504 times
There are rude drivers everywhere, but I encountered more of them in the short period of time I lived in TX (aka HELL) than here in CA for all my life, thus far. I am also a native Californian. TX is where I learned NOT to use my turn signals. The minute those people saw the turn signal, they would speed up and not let you over. I caught on real quick, that you "just do it" (thanks, Nike) and don't let the "enemy" know what your next move is.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,026,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright410 View Post
We have lived in Orange County for 2 years and the people here are the rudest and most inconsiderate people I have ever come across. Before you Californians jump all over me because getting defensive is what you do best, keep in mind that I am a California NATIVE! I was born here and I have lived here all my life, but my parents are from elsewhere and taught me manners and courtesy. You people may have money but you don't have any class.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,326,164 times
I strongly suggest people visit New York City before claiming Californians are rude. Believe me the difference between the two areas is like night and day and New Yorkers would rather run you down in a crosswalk than be slowed down for a second.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,777,101 times
Whiners. Waaaa, I'm sensitive... WAAAA. Those big meanies in So Cal.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:53 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,326,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Whiners. Waaaa, I'm sensitive... WAAAA. Those big meanies in So Cal.
Hi Fontucky! Just curious, have you ever lived outside California? Every time I leave California [mostly for Puerto Rico] I notice people seem the same as here; some are rude and some of nice. But in New York people are more in a hurry and will push you if you are standing in their way [like on a subway] or practically run pedestrians down. A driver in California would go to prison for what drivers in New York get away with.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,777,101 times
Yes, mainly while I was in the military, plus three years in Spokane. The Spokanites were very friendly, but their driving annoyed me. Too slow and pokey. I got used to it though. I did the old "when in Rome" thing.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:26 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,290,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertho View Post
Why do people live in the densest metro area in the United States and expect Mayberry manners?

GFY
Lack of intelligence mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California