Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Not that many Democrats would agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This sums it up pretty well.

Joel Kotkin said essentially the same thing here (and he's a Democrat by the way):

The Weekend Interview with Joel Kotkin: The Great California Exodus - WSJ.com

If California is going through another self-selecting exodus of ANYONE tired of this state, so much the better and more power to them- they are probably correct in thinking they will find happiness elsewhere.

To paraphrase Shakespeare and Mr Natural: 'T'was ever thus!'... Woody Guthrie said it best and long ago:

"California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see;
But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot
If you ain't got the do re mi."

It's amazing how many people come here and expect the laws of economics, physics, politics, common sense and maybe gravity to be suspended once over the border into CA... and then there are many who are just worn out trying to make it in a state that seems to vex their ambitions at every expensive turn...

During my time back in Santa Cruz, a place to which many neighbors seem to gravitate outside of CA is... *drumroll*... Hawaii. The fact that you can swim in the ocean all day long without a wetsuit and enjoy the benefits of a 'liberal mindset' with a nice dollop of Libertarian and Conservative seasoning to keep 'em honest in a miniature Eden makes CA look like Oklahoma by comparison... at least for a visit. Tryi g to make a living out there makes CA look like a job fair.

Of course getting there while under the expensive specter of CA's COL is another project altogether. We'll hit Hawaii as soon as our budget permits... but after living 1/4 mile from the Pacific for two years in SC I'm going to be so happy to be with my family 15 minutes from Lake Nacimiento and 40 minutes from Avila and Shell beaches that working from home in IT security consulting will seem like a vacation. Our son will be mainstreamed into a great-scoring public school with a 12-1 student-teacher ratio in a kind of 'one-room schoolhouse' for K-8th grade... and a state-leading Dojo in which to go for his Black Belt... he'll have the neighbor's Llamas, chickens, goats and dogs to play with as well as a different walk every day for our dog. all for a mortgage cheaper than our rental hovel in SC.

One big reason why people are willing to come live and work in CA for companies that harvest rice to companies that make software... it can be a pretty good and fun place to move up... despite the CA 'safety net', it is a crappy place to be poor- but then where is a good place for poverty?

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 09-27-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Speaking only to SoCal:

We could buy a new construction 5Br, 4Ba 3000 sqft house out in the Midwestern countryside for the same amount as we would pay for a 1000 sqft 3+1 1950's saltbox in a pretty nice part of LA. Given the incredible amount of things to do, economic opportunities, connections to the rest of the world, places to eat, things to see, spectacular scenery, and great surf compared to empty frozen cornfields and plenty of empty space, we certainly and happily choose CA.

Leave California if:

Going home in your large climate-controlled SUV to watch sports in your climate-controlled man-cave with occasional excursions to "eat out" at safe/comfortable Americana "food" places like Applebees appeals to you. If you're the type that is happy with once or twice a year excursions to some "exotic" destination like Florida, and you enjoy watching the seasons change mostly ensconced within the heated/cooled comfort of your large home, then CA is probably not the place for you.

Stay if:

You like being outside and around town more than you like staying at home to watch other people do things on TV. If you want to live in a vacation destination within easy driving distance to almost every environment on earth (Desert, coastal rainforest, high alpine, grassy plains, etc.) and walk to the beach every other day, then CA is perfect. If you don't mind a smaller, older house and rubbing elbows with people from all sorts of backgrounds, or if you like these things, CA is for you.
People back East still wonder how I'm able to live with no car or cable TV and not eating at Bob Evans 3 times a week.

The most amusing responses I got from them occurred when I sent back a brief video tour of my small (but safe, clean, and close to the beach) studio apartment. How could I live in such a small area for rent that could get me a whole neighborhood in Cleveland?

I've had one decent cold/flu since I've been out here. For those 2 days I laid on my futon (no room for a bed) and just played on the Internet feeling miserable. Then I thought to myself: this reminds me of living back East.

Aside from the stomach flu, I doubt I've spent more than an hour straight in my apt since I moved out here (exclude sleeping). Far cry from back East where you are in a constant state of cabin fever.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:27 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
I'll move back eventually, just not sure when...luckily Ohio is growing on me and I might stay here for a few years after college to get my career started. Sure the CoL is quite a bit higher, but I'll absorb the costs for what California offers, there's no other state like it in this country.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I'll move back eventually, just not sure when...luckily Ohio is growing on me and I might stay here for a few years after college to get my career started. Sure the CoL is quite a bit higher, but I'll absorb the costs for what California offers, there's no other state like it in this country.
Columbus is much more tolerable than many locales back East. I briefly lived in Reynoldsburg and it sure beats the Rust Belt part of the state to the north. Then again, as a native the proximity to Ohio State football was enjoyable as I'm sure you've figured out by now...Buckeyes football is the center of the universe.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:41 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Columbus is much more tolerable than many locales back East. I briefly lived in Reynoldsburg and it sure beats the Rust Belt part of the state to the north. Then again, as a native the proximity to Ohio State football was enjoyable as I'm sure you've figured out by now...Buckeyes football is the center of the universe.
Lol ain't that the truth? I pretty much have to wear a Red or Gray OSU shirt every Saturday so I don't stand out like an eyesore anywhere near campus.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
People back East still wonder how I'm able to live with no car or cable TV and not eating at Bob Evans 3 times a week.

The most amusing responses I got from them occurred when I sent back a brief video tour of my small (but safe, clean, and close to the beach) studio apartment. How could I live in such a small area for rent that could get me a whole neighborhood in Cleveland?

I've had one decent cold/flu since I've been out here. For those 2 days I laid on my futon (no room for a bed) and just played on the Internet feeling miserable. Then I thought to myself: this reminds me of living back East.

Aside from the stomach flu, I doubt I've spent more than an hour straight in my apt since I moved out here (exclude sleeping). Far cry from back East where you are in a constant state of cabin fever.
You mentioned about living in Columbus, we lived in the Hilliard and the Dublin areas in suburban Columbus for over a dozen years before relocating to California.

Looking at your posting reminds me though, it is quite different to live in a place on your own vs living in a place and raising a family. Living in a small environment at a nice location may be preferable when alone, but if you had a spouse and kids the need for space, safety and kids activities may end up making a place like Columbus more appealing after all.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:59 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,198 times
Because your folks are located in your home state.
Because your job is located in your home state.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:09 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
It must suck to be you.
The truth hurts doesnt it? Each one of my claims is true.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
The truth hurts doesnt it? Each one of my claims is true.
"True" is relative when operating in a vacuum.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You mentioned about living in Columbus, we lived in the Hilliard and the Dublin areas in suburban Columbus for over a dozen years before relocating to California.

Looking at your posting reminds me though, it is quite different to live in a place on your own vs living in a place and raising a family. Living in a small environment at a nice location may be preferable when alone, but if you had a spouse and kids the need for space, safety and kids activities may end up making a place like Columbus more appealing after all.
Of course it all depends on your situation. Kids/marriage/home ownership...I think California is more of a challenge if you go that route.

My last apartment in Ohio was gorgeous. But it had to be...I had to spend most of my time in it. If you check the rentals in LA, SD, or SF you'll find small studios with a mini fridge and hot plate...bare bones...cuz you can get away with that as a bachelor. If those kind of studios exist in the Midwest they are surely rare cuz you have no choice but to stay inside so many days per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California