Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,191 times

Advertisements

We are looking for place to retire - but still have two children in school. Feel in love with carmel once. What areas are not too expensive to retire, with good school systems for kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM

162 posts, read 319,080 times
Pennsylvania

Old 10-13-2013, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbutyoung View Post
We are looking for place to retire - but still have two children in school. Feel in love with carmel once. What areas are not too expensive to retire, with good school systems for kids?
How about the Bigger and faster growing Carmel?
Best Places to Live 2012 - Money Magazine

Carmel, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carmel, Indiana has a strong retirement community and in addition to that a very low cost of living and one of the best healthcare networks in the country. You can retire in Carmel for 40% less than any city in California. Plus you don't have to deal with earthquakes or mudslides.
Another great feature of Carmel is the booming Arts and design district along with other massive developments that are popping up all around town and Indy.
Also if you want good schools for your kids Carmel's schools are the best public schools in the state of Indiana and in the top 2% nationally. Carmel high school is a 5 star school with 95%+ of its students graduating and many going on to college.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:10 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Wow, this is the classic champagne taste on a beer budget search which so many are looking for. Carmel is the opposite of cheap. So something like it is hard to find. Obviously there will have to be a compromise in certain Carmel like qualities which include:

1. One of the most beautiful coastal areas in California right next to Big Sur.
2. Great school system funded entirely by the city allowing them to make independent decision on a myriad of positive things for the students.
3. Artistic mecca for painters, photographers, etc...
4. Inside the Monterey Bay which is a national marine life sanctuary.
5. Just far enough from major cities to not be effected by their traffic or smog.
6. Small town with minimal population growth.
7. World class golf courses.
8. Excellent coastal hiking trails among redwoods with sweeping views.
9. Plenty of green with moderate temps year round. Average temps range from upper 50s to low 70s.

So which of these can you give up in looking for a cheaper place to live?

I can tell you the hardest to find will be good schools along the coast with cheapish prices. Maybe you can give up the coastal part? If so take a look at Temecula/Murrieta or Sacramento areas. If you definately want the coast then maybe somewhere near San Luis Obispo could work. I guess you have to define what you mean by inexpensive.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-13-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 09:19 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Yeah MtnSurfer, tough question to answer.

Assuming being near the coast is a priority, and going with a funky small town type of environment, I'd probably consider something up in the Eureka/McKinleyville/Arcata area. The entire vicinity is only about 12-13 miles long, and you have some variety between the three cities. Each has it's own character, and the schools aren't awful.

They aren't Carmel, but give you some of the characteristics at a much lower price.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Yeah MtnSurfer, tough question to answer.

Assuming being near the coast is a priority, and going with a funky small town type of environment, I'd probably consider something up in the Eureka/McKinleyville/Arcata area. The entire vicinity is only about 12-13 miles long, and you have some variety between the three cities. Each has it's own character, and the schools aren't awful.

They aren't Carmel, but give you some of the characteristics at a much lower price.
Yeah, I was thinking that also as it usually always comes up when discussing cheaper places to live along the CA coast. The toughest part IMO about deciding to live there with school age children is the influence of living in the Emerald Triangle where the number one industry is growing pot. The economy is depressed beyond its main crop when it comes to job opportunities and industry. Though there are some. Add to that a much more foggy/cloudy/rainier/colder weather pattern more similar to the PNW and you have entirely different weather compared to places like Carmel. But it is coastal and more affordable.

I'm not sure the schools are that great in general. There are pockets where they are a bit better, though nothing like Carmel. Take a look here to get a better idea: California School Performance Maps

Derek

Old 10-14-2013, 03:48 AM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that also as it usually always comes up when discussing cheaper places to live along the CA coast. The toughest part IMO about deciding to live there with school age children is the influence of living in the Emerald Triangle where the number one industry is growing pot. The economy is depressed beyond its main crop when it comes to job opportunities and industry. Though there are some. Add to that a much more foggy/cloudy/rainier/colder weather pattern more similar to the PNW and you have entirely different weather compared to places like Carmel. But it is coastal and more affordable.

I'm not sure the schools are that great in general. There are pockets where they are a bit better, though nothing like Carmel. Take a look here to get a better idea: California School Performance Maps

Derek
Cambria to Pismo Beach, triangulated with SLO might have more for less... I lived in Carmel back when Clint was Mayor and the locals called his salmonella pit the Hog's Breath Inn on San Carlos 'Clint's Breath Inn'... there are a lot of nice things about Carmel but living with those crass, venal locals is not one of them. Cra$$holes have infested too much of the CA coast and Carmel is a showcase for the breed, unfortunately.

I love visiting the area for the PBC, other events and the golf as I'm lucky enough to be able to ante up the $500.00-a-round greens fee... but living next to it isn't worth it to me personally, YMMV.

We looked at the Carmel area last year and can afford pretty much anything in the kind of places down there we want to be. Almost every nice thing about Carmel is best experienced as a visitor. As the father of a 10-year-old son with Autism, we found Carmel's school resources there no match for SLO County's where special-needs students are concerned... the Elementary School school to which he'll soon be going was one of only nine schools in the state to be awarded an Early Intervention Program grant and SLO has an Autism Resource Center unique in CA in its connection and integration into the SLO County educational community and the Autism education community in particular... past Elementary level it is somewhat slim pickings in Carmel so say my friends who remain in the area. Private/Charter schools are the alternative in the area apparently.

The tourists and the locals combine almost year-round to form a Gordian Knot around the best resources in the Carmel area which make enjoying them trying at best no matter how much money one has at one's disposal. The town is legendary for being dog-and tree-friendly, and charm is one of its great assets. The artistic community has devolved into a kind of high-end service industry for wealthy and corporate ends all over the world and that's fine but not to be confused with what SF, Boston, NYC, LA or many other major cities have art community-wise. The traffic and congestion in the Carmel area have sadly caught up with many more populous areas... that coupled with 'small-town' infrastructure conspire to make getting around the area both day and night a real time-suck.

It's not quite 'Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?', but it ain't the Shangri-la many claim...
MtnSurfer is close by and has a near-unique perspective here on CD about the place though... I do agree that it is so far from your budget that it's really a hypothetical rather than a choice.

Unless you win the CA Lotto or inherit a few hundred pounds of Franklins perhaps look North of the Bay around Point Reyes or south of Monterey Bay in SLO County... I've lived in Point Reyes Station, a beautiful place that either rewards Trust Funds or telecommuting because there's maybe three jobs an acre (sic) which will pay the bills up there, but between Inverness, Bolinas, Olema, Fairfax, PRS and Tomales, the Tomales Bay area is another world-class coastal CA area which if anything is *underpriced* for what's sometimes available. Novato, Mill Valley, San Rafael, Santa Rosa and Petaluma are nicely commutable but far enough away to limit traffic and congestion.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 10-14-2013 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California