Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:51 PM

260 posts, read 768,311 times

Advertisements

I guess CA is happy that everyone using Prop 13 is leaving and they can reset all of the property taxes and rake in tons of taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:07 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Doesn't the property get reassessed on inheritance? For example, if your parents bought their home in 1962 for $18K and are paying $1000/year prop tax, they die, you inherit it, market value is $500K, don't you pay like $5500/year or something like that?
There are ways around this.

Where I live, someone bought many many homes (probably 100+) prior to the 1970s. They put all the homes in a trust. The trust still pays low low property taxes -- usually around $300 a property.

Unfortunately, commercial property is treated like non-commercial property under Prop 13. If a corporation owns property and the corporation keeps the property, it retains it's low Prop 13 tax rate. The corporation itself can be sold many times over but the property keeps the low rate.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:26 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
There are ways around this.

Where I live, someone bought many many homes (probably 100+) prior to the 1970s. They put all the homes in a trust. The trust still pays low low property taxes -- usually around $300 a property.

Unfortunately, commercial property is treated like non-commercial property under Prop 13. If a corporation owns property and the corporation keeps the property, it retains it's low Prop 13 tax rate. The corporation itself can be sold many times over but the property keeps the low rate.
Kind of...

It is the California Constitution that prohibits split tax rolls so all taxable property is treated the same.

San Francisco has been very agressive regarding corp ownership changes... but, you are right in that a well versed lawyer could structure a deal to minimize exposure.

$300 a year property tax just would not be possible in my part of California...

My parents own a 5' wide strip of land that is a utility easement and is valued at $300 a year and the tax bill is $700+... in other words the yearly property tax is more than Twice the Value of the Land and this is because there are 23 separate assessments on the tax bill.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 PM

4,898 posts, read 3,357,694 times
As highly right-wing as Joel Kotkin presents himself, I do have sadly agree with much of what he says unfortunately...

While the beginnings of feudalism are fairly evident in California, the United States in general is becoming more and more that way.

The US is starting to resemble a Latin American country than any of the First World nations of Western Europe and Japan

Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post

I would also take issue with the idea that you're a "serf" if you can't buy a home. The whole idea of "home ownership for all" is an intensely and solely American ideal based in a time of seemingly unlimited land. Those days are long gone - land, at least within reasonable commuting distance of job centers, is extremely limited. The Northeast and West coast are now more like Europe in terms of land availability and housing prices reflect that reality. Unfortunately this means home ownership may indeed be out of reach for many in the middle class. That doesn't make people serfs though. There is nothing wrong with renting; indeed, renting is the norm in much of the world and many people choose to rent. If home ownership is a priority, again, folks in the US have the luxury of moving somewhere that's a better deal. If I wasn't here for work, I'd likely make such a move myself, despite liking the Bay Area a lot.

I will say that housing prices in California are artificially high, driven by an insane lack of supply. Coastal California needs a lot less NIMBYs, a lot more transit, and a lot more density. But that's another topic of discussion.
There is a school of thought (maybe from Time Magazine) that says home ownership may not be the best solution for one's self interest in terms of flexibility in looking for employment. In other words, the more flexible you are in terms of moving to where the jobs are, the more opportunities you will have for employment in the long run.

One of major reasons for the higher un-employment rates in recent times (compared to the past) is that labor mobility has been impeded due to home owners being stuck with mortgages that are underwater...

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Yes... but, it has not stop many from walking away and some would say that has the opposite effect because they no longer have equity to protect.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes... but, it has not stop many from walking away and some would say that has the opposite effect because they no longer have equity to protect.
But then they may have to worry about their credit scores going into the crapper by doing that...

Old 10-24-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
But then they may have to worry about their credit scores going into the crapper by doing that...
There is a whole mindset on this too.

A very well to do lawyer that I know walked away from his 1.5 million dollar home right after he bought a nicer one in the same neighborhood for 900k...

I asked him about the hit to his credit and he said there are millions of us in the same situation and he was not planning on moving again anytime soon.

It would be very hard for me to do that because I believe you standby your commitments.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:06 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
As highly right-wing as Joel Kotkin presents himself, I do have sadly agree with much of what he says unfortunately...

While the beginnings of feudalism are fairly evident in California, the United States in general is becoming more and more that way.

The US is starting to resemble a Latin American country than any of the First World nations of Western Europe and Japan
Kotkin is an old school JFK Democrat.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:14 PM

692 posts, read 854,908 times
It won't do a thing to my rep score to say it here, but Bay Area Hillbilly is dead on the money about Kotkin.

But when people says that this is happening to the entire US, that's not really true. Yes, the middle class is eroding, thanks to Nixon and the petrodollar among a number of other factors, but if you were to say, elsewhere in the US, "it is economically irrational for a middle-class person to try to raise a family in this region," they'd laugh at you. Posh neighborhood, rich section of town, sure. An entire region? You'd be drowned in naysayers.

Everybody understands that implicitly about coastal California. I couldn't make it on a middle-class salary (heck in SF, I couldn't afford a *room* on a middle-class salary), and I'm a skinflint. My family out there, every one an SF native, couldn't, and they're barely hanging onto the edge of the bay area, living in Livermore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California