Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 01:07 AM

119 posts, read 716,726 times

Advertisements

My parents (in their 60s) are looking to buy a cheap (~$100K-maybe $125K max) place to retire to. They currently live in South OC.

Things they're looking for:
-Safe (as in low crime)
-Cooler weather vs warmer (snow is fine, 90 degree+ summers not as much)
-Not a hick-town (they're Asian and do not want to be in a place where they're made to feel uncomfortable)

As to the last point, because it could be controversial, there are places even in California where people have apparently never seen a non-Caucasian person before from the reactions you get. I'd just want them to be able to live where they don't have to live with that all the time.

A couple places they're considering are:
Pine Mountain Club (90 mins north of LA) - but the distance from the nearest real hospital (60 miles) concerns me, they're in good health now but if they're going to retire, I'd think it's better to be closer than 60 miles to a hospital.
Crestline or places around Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear Lake

Any other suggestions? They're open to other states but since their children are in California (me in NorCal, the other in SoCal), they'd like to be closer than farther.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Ukiah? The area around Fort Bragg?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:24 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs333 View Post
My parents (in their 60s) are looking to buy a cheap (~$100K-maybe $125K max) place to retire to. They currently live in South OC.

-Safe (as in low crime)
-Not a hick-town (they're Asian and do not want to be in a place where they're made to feel uncomfortable)

As to the last point, because it could be controversial, there are places even in California where people have apparently never seen a non-Caucasian person before from the reactions you get. I'd just want them to be able to live where they don't have to live with that all the time.

Pine Mountain Club (90 mins north of LA) - but the distance from the nearest real hospital (60 miles) concerns me, they're in good health now but if they're going to retire, I'd think it's better to be closer than 60 miles to a hospital.

Any other suggestions? They're open to other states but since their children are in California (me in NorCal, the other in SoCal), they'd like to be closer than farther.
Sorry, that's borderline insulting. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:

-Safe (as in low crime)

Too many people will pass up a good place, because of the distance to a hospital. It's not an issue now. It may never be an issue. Have them join one of those medical helicopter clubs if you are concerned.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Seeing how you live in California, you should know there probably isn't one area with residents that haven't seen someone who isn't white. Haven't you heard? California is a very diverse state. I can only conclude that you don't get out much, do you?

As for finding a place for your parents. Cooler temps will be found in the bay area and places closer to the coast. Of course, there's a price tag for that, too. Forget finding anything decent in that price range, unless your parents are willing to live in a manufactured home. There are some very nice 55+ parks all over the northern part of California. There are park fees, though, and those could add another $500+ to their monthly budget.

I have to agree with Mr5150. If a person is going to worry about being close to a hospital, they should probably stick closer to larger cities.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Quick hospital access IS a concern in those places you've listed, because they are all mountain locations, which are subject to having their narrow, limited roadways impacted by heavy tourist traffic, summer wildfires, and being snowed-in in the winter.

Suggest the city of Ventura. Safe, cooler coastal weather, on the 101 for getting to SoCal and NorCal locations, can live on their budget, plus 2 major hospitals right in town.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Quote:

-Safe (as in low crime)

The mountain towns could be tricky for older folks. On the plus side they do have a hospital in Arrowhead, and the homes are generally less expensive, especially in Crestline, (we lived there for almost 3 years), and it's very pretty. However, the fog getting up and down the mountain is scary and in Crestline the terrain is very alpine like so the snow can pile up in places and the icy roads can be challenging with so many hills.
Also, it gets surprisingly warm in the summer! We didn't have air conditioning so had to keep the windows open, but since it's the "country" (yeah, I know, we were clueless) we heard dogs barking all night! LOL!
Another thing to note is that the air quality is deceptive. The Ozone pollution from the cities comes up right against those mountains. Also, the fire hazard is something to think about. We were evacuated during the "Old Fire" in 2003. Looked like the whole mountain was on fire!

Anyway, don't mean to sound so negative, but ya gotta know the downsides to know if it's something you can live with. Truth be told, my husband and I really miss living up there. We loved the beauty, we had some great neighbors, and we loved driving to Big Bear where my son learned to snowboard and we loved hiking in the general area and geocaching. The reason we moved was my husband got a new job and the commute was a killer.

Good luck! It's not going to be easy finding an affordable place that has the cooler weather. Sacramento is more affordable and diverse, but it gets really hot! Redding too get super hot, but it's cheaper. Not a good rep for diverse though as far as I know.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
Pine Mountain club?

My friend just sold his luxury cabin there in excess of 500k

100k... maybe a tiny mobile somewhere... try the drive in the snow to the five... not fun

Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Sorry, that's borderline insulting. Good luck with your search.
I guess you haven't seen the threads here that are basically racist rants about immigration.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:21 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,775 times
Man, if they weren't so adamantly against warm weather, I'd probably suggest the Imperial Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California