Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating to Redding. Was just curious as to which way would be the best route to get to the beach, from folk who live up that way. Looks like you'd have to go across the mountains. Was wondering which route you take, if you want a weekend getaway.

Would you go to Arcata? Eureka? Oregon? Further south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 08:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Southeast.

[to Lake Tahoe]

Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
When Reddingites go to the beach as in an ocean beach, it usually means Patrick's Point or similar in the Eureka/Arcata area. 299W is narrow, crooked, and slow. It is easily a 4 hour drive. There are few passing lanes and the road will be filled with plenty of slow moving big rigs and RVs. It's a pain, so don't think it's a fun trip for a 3 day weekend. However, if you are willing to invest a week, the woods are beautiful and worth the drive.

And don't forget, the water will be cold.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:28 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Wow, that is a tough one. What's worse, 299W or heading north then west (e.g. Gold / Rogue River mouth).

At that point, one might ask themselves, why not simply go for the Rogue Valley communities instead.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
That drive feels like it takes forever(299), I remember making that drive on a summer late afternoon for the first time, thinking it wouldn't be that far and getting to Redding and I-5 well after dark. To get to the Oregon beaches or Crescent City area, it's probably almost easier to just take I-5 north and then take 199 from Grants Pass. The coast feels a surpsingly long way from Redding or Red Bluff or from inland Southern Oregon(where I used to live)--there's a lack of fast highways over the Klamath Mountains(including the Trinities and Siskiyous). That mountain country in between the valleys and the coast has stayed pretty remote in feel due to the rugged nature, which is great for hiking and camping on the other hand.

Comparatively, from Sacramento you can get to a beach in like 2 hours(without traffic of course), and from Portland or the Willamette Valley you can be at the beach in under 1.5 hours.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 AM

All great posts, thank you! Ironically, I'm in Santa Clara, and about 30 minutes from the beach, and I can't tell you the last time I was there lol! I'm pretty much a homebody these days. But, I was just curious if there was some secret easier drive to the coast than I could see by looking at the map. Doesn't appear to be so.

That's okay. I love the woods, too.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:56 AM

367 posts, read 420,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That drive feels like it takes forever(299), I remember making that drive on a summer late afternoon for the first time, thinking it wouldn't be that far and getting to Redding and I-5 well after dark. To get to the Oregon beaches or Crescent City area, it's probably almost easier to just take I-5 north and then take 199 from Grants Pass. The coast feels a surpsingly long way from Redding or Red Bluff or from inland Southern Oregon(where I used to live)--there's a lack of fast highways over the Klamath Mountains(including the Trinities and Siskiyous). That mountain country in between the valleys and the coast has stayed pretty remote in feel due to the rugged nature, which is great for hiking and camping on the other hand.

Comparatively, from Sacramento you can get to a beach in like 2 hours(without traffic of course), and from Portland or the Willamette Valley you can be at the beach in under 1.5 hours.
It takes about 3 hours over 299 between Redding and Coastal hwy.
To me, the drive and the mountains are a part of the experience (though once long time ago, after dark, I had taken the wrong road and ended up spending quality night lost in the maze of logging roads...I remember thinking "what kind of dog is that?" around 1am while going 5mph on a dirt road, as small black bear kept running along).
Lack of easy roads is the beauty of it: less tourist crowds. Anyway, with the finest lake/river opportunities out in Mendocino range-Trinity forest, why bother going all the way to coast... there're hidden gems all over the place. As to mentioned Rogue River in OR...another fine place, for sure (Bear Camp Road beware! ), and as to driving up to Tahoe instead...the tourist hell that Tahoe is (as former resident, I can attest), I'd make sure I steer clear of Tahoe within 1 hour radius min and stop somewhere around Lassen, lake Almanor or on hwy 70 or 49, up to Sierraville.

Last edited by Usrname; 10-15-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times
For swimming, camping, fishing in the summer, we often took our young'uns to Camanche Lake, south shore. Not tooo far from Sacramento. We were tent camping at the beginning, then later we bought a used motorhome. Lake Camanche Recreation, Central California: Fishing, Boating, Camping, Cottages, RVing

They had a nice beach area with warm water for the young'uns & adults, game room & snack area (burgers, sundaes, fries, etc) Showed outdoor movies in a park like area.

We did a lot of fishin from our boat, bass, catfish, crappie, etc. Lots O' FUN. Went exploring different areas of the lake. (Shallows) (used to be gold mining).

Years ago we also had some FUN times camping, fishing at Lake Oroville & Lake Almanor...

The lake water is much warmer then the ocean beaches. We enjoyed some great days at Whiskeytown Lake & Lake Shasta.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:54 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
It takes about 3 hours over 299 between Redding and Coastal hwy.
To me, the drive and the mountains are a part of the experience (though once long time ago, after dark, I had taken the wrong road and ended up spending quality night lost in the maze of logging roads...I remember thinking "what kind of dog is that?" around 1am while going 5mph on a dirt road, as small black bear kept running along).
Lack of easy roads is the beauty of it: less tourist crowds. Anyway, with the finest lake/river opportunities out in Mendocino range-Trinity forest, why bother going all the way to coast... there're hidden gems all over the place. As to mentioned Rogue River in OR...another fine place, for sure (Bear Camp Road beware! ), and as to driving up to Tahoe instead...the tourist hell that Tahoe is (as former resident, I can attest), I'd make sure I steer clear of Tahoe within 1 hour radius min and stop somewhere around Lassen, lake Almanor or on hwy 70 or 49, up to Sierraville.
We used to go down to Clear Creek north of Happy Camp for swimming when I lived in Ashland. Go camp down there with a couple of cases of beer--one of the best swimming holes I ever saw in my whole life. Yeah, the Siskiyous and Marble Mountains and Trinities are beautiful country. I went backpacking once in the Marble Mountains and saw like one other group of people in like 4 days.

But, 299 is still a long tiring drive(though scenic) if you really want to go to the coast and back in a day, get stuck behind a logging truck and it takes forever. Highway 96 is similar, but even more remote--I've seen black bears several times crossing that road in the twilight.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Three hours is a long drive for me these days. And forget Tahoe, too, if there's any chance of snow :-)

Think I'll take your wise advice and get to know the forests and lakes in the closer vicinity - assuming I get to move there. I should know this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California