Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:50 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,022,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yes, anyone can afford to live in California if they're willing to take a big enough hit to their standard of living. Homeless people afford California, after all. So anyone willing to work two jobs for minimum wage, share a 2 bedroom apartment with 8 other people, and take the bus can afford it too. Sounds like a wonderful life.
Which sums it up for MOST people living here that don't have parents that can pay for their apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 01:38 PM

605 posts, read 865,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Which sums it up for MOST people living here that don't have parents that can pay for their apartments.
Which also sums it up for many people who are on Social Security/disability who do have parents that can help pay for their apartments, and/or the elderly.
The bottom line, is that if you want to live anywhere nice, beautiful, upsacle and/or affluent, in California, you need to be able to afford it - simple as that.
Unless, one wants to live in Lodi or on a farm in Central California, off the 5 Frwy.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 PM

158 posts, read 600,675 times
So, let me get this straight. Life sucks in CA unless you're rich, or evidently poor. Sounds great.

Last edited by TheStarLiesWest; 11-25-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 02:44 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertho View Post
If a family of seven from Mexico (and millions all over the world who abandoned families and countries to live in California) can live here, YOU as an American certainly can. It's like clothes are cheap enough to get five for a dollar, but it's not gonna be Gucci. It's tiring to hear all these salt-of-the-earth speculators from out of state complain about not affording California, then you pry further, and find out that the California they want is not where 90% of the residents live. I am tempted to post that SNL skit about that new financial plan that will help you get rich: Don't Buy Stuff You Can't Afford. And here it is

SNL Skit: Don't Buy Stuff You Can't Afford
Sobering and pretty accurate.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 AM

30,304 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yes, anyone can afford to live in California if they're willing to take a big enough hit to their standard of living. Homeless people afford California, after all. So anyone willing to work two jobs for minimum wage, share a 2 bedroom apartment with 8 other people, and take the bus can afford it too. Sounds like a wonderful life.
Doesn't sound like the life of anyone I know! Sure, if you have no skills or education, that is probably your future... but that can be said about most places, at least those worth being in. Fyi, I haven't worked for minimum wage in like 10 years, live in a 3-bedroom with 2 people (which I chose over my own place), and drive a nice 2005 Accord - only take the bus/BART when it's more feasible, in terms of parking and traffic. Bottom line, life is what you make of it... some people here are poor, some rich, and most are in the middle. California is expensive, but not to the point where only billionaires can have a decent life.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-26-2007 at 05:31 AM..

Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStarLiesWest View Post
So, let me get this straight. Life sucks in CA unless you're rich, or evidently poor. Sounds great.
Yeah right... in a state of MILLIONS of people, we're all either very rich or very poor. Why don't you come for an extended visit, and stop listening to all the negativity on here? Obviously it's a decent place to live, even in the expensive areas, or they wouldn't be so darned crowded! I could have moved anywhere in the world after college, and I chose to come back to SF. Not only because my family is here, but also because it's a great place to live - salaries are higher, and the quality of life beats most other places (in my opinion). Almost anyone can afford to live here, and not just in crappy situations... especially if you have some long-term goals, in terms of education or career advancement. If nothing else, the opportunities here will beat most other states.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStarLiesWest View Post
Any opinions on that south bay area (Palo Alto, etc.)? I heard it was cheaper there. Any other areas in SF to suggest? I'm still open. If I can be talked into the fact that SF is affordable without moving to Sacramento, then I'll definitely think about that too.
Palo Alto specifically is very expensive, even more so than SF in some parts. If you go further south, to towns like Santa Clara, Mtn. View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, etc., you'll find some cheaper rent... San Jose is also fairly affordable, so you might consider that city as well.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:27 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,022,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah right... in a state of MILLIONS of people, we're all either very rich or very poor. Why don't you come for an extended visit, and stop listening to all the negativity on here? Obviously it's a decent place to live, even in the expensive areas, or they wouldn't be so darned crowded! I could have moved anywhere in the world after college, and I chose to come back to SF. Not only because my family is here, but also because it's a great place to live - salaries are higher, and the quality of life beats most other places (in my opinion). Almost anyone can afford to live here, and not just in crappy situations... especially if you have some long-term goals, in terms of education or career advancement. If nothing else, the opportunities here will beat most other states.
San Francisco has always had a better rep than Los Angeles. I think the OP was asking about LA specifically. I know several people that left LA for the supposedly more expensive SF and love it! There are places in the surrounding areas where you can live and getting a job is easier.

I can only talk about my experiences in LA and LA only. Yeah, people do come here and the weather is fabulous, but it's not as glamorous as everyone thinks.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
but also because it's a great place to live - salaries are higher, and the quality of life beats most other places (in my opinion). Almost anyone can afford to live here, and not just in crappy situations...

Do you own or rent?

If you were married and had kids would you still continue to live there?

Old 11-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you own or rent?

If you were married and had kids would you still continue to live there?
I rent currently, and plan to continue renting for at least a few more years. Can't speculate on if/when I had a family, since it would depend on my husband's financial situation (and mine, as it may change by then). But I know plenty of young families here, and they are surviving just fine... my sister had a baby in September, and she & her husband own a beautiful house in Sunnyvale. My best friend is also married with a baby on the way, and they own a house in San Mateo hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California