Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,774,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStarLiesWest View Post

...outside of my professional career I don't dress in 1000 dollar suits...
You mean you do wear 1000 dollar suits to work?

Who do you work for, Tony Soprano?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 08:47 PM

12 posts, read 51,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Unless, one wants to live in Lodi or on a farm in Central California, off the 5 Frwy.
hahaha!

Smaller towns like Lodi can be decently priced, without the hassle and traffic of larger places. CA is so huge, with so many people, that no matter where you live you'll find a crowd that will share your interests. Like anywhere new, you'll have to put yourself out there.

If you don't mind a commute, look into smaller cities and towns around the areas you want to work. If you want to work in the bay area, look up the commuter trains (bart, ace, caltrain, etc.), and live by one of those stations. That will save you some moola if you only have to drive to your train station instead of to work.

Research job markets, and make a trip out to an area you're considering to get a feel for it. Definately have a job lined up BEFORE you get here, or a good bit of money to live on while you job hunt, or hit up any connections out here and play houseguest. Public schools are the same here as elsewhere, you get what you put in. Excellent college selection here too.

For norcal, you get a good mix of urban, hippy, redneck, and anything in-between. The central valley has cities, then big stretches of nothingness...pretty actually if you like something besides concrete. Northcoast towns are awesome. The farther north you go past SF, basically its more rural and cheaper to live. Also the farther east you go, to the foothills and Sierras, same applies.

I grew up in Lodi, but I got that same moving bug you have, and relocated to NYC for now. If you get the chance, I'd say try the move.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
hahaha ive lived in california all my life and im not a kajillionare
i didnt even finish highschool (i got my ged later)
and i like it
rent is not high, i mean like california is pretty big and sacramento, fresno, bakersfield,(not so bad )
its okay out here and great people
you cant stereotype california cuz its got(gangs,hillbillies,millionaires,gays,mexicans.. ..lots where im from, theres beaches,mountains,cold winters,HOTT winters. its got them all. lol thats why i love it here
so if your worried your gonna be different
your not unlessyour from north carolina lol.(ive ben there they get so shocked im from california they would instantly ask if i live next to a celebrity
the school teacher/principle was pasture at the town church(he used to call me the THE SINNER FROM SIN CITY )i am a very good person lol

Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,295 times
lol i am an 18 year old student at UCLA i was born and raised in Southern California. I would just like to say that all the predispositions you may have of California are most likely false. You dont have to have money to live in California, there are some dirt poor parts of California, and norcal is expensive as well.Palo Alto is home to many famous entrepreneurs and corporations. Move out here I suggest if you like music to move to the Bay area or near LA.As far as LA being filled with crime, yes it is. It depends on what part of LA , and if you are referring to the city LA or the entire county because mostly everyone here calls so many cities LA that are not remotely close to the actually city. Furthermore, explore , come out to California, its an amazing state of opportunities and beautiful people and weather. True. some people are stuck up and lousy minded, however you find good and bad people everywhere. I personally love CALIFORNIA . I havent lived anywhere else and could not imagine living anywhere else.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM

142 posts, read 288,415 times
I can tell you, being from the midwest, stereotypes of regions or areas in the country are almost all over blown or just wrong.

Plenty of people are WAY off when describing my home town.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,829,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agskinner View Post
I can tell you, being from the midwest, stereotypes of regions or areas in the country are almost all over blown or just wrong.

Plenty of people are WAY off when describing my home town.
Midwesterner are, generally speaking, straightforward, no-nonsense, honest, stoic, solid, grounded, loyal to friends and family but a bit suspicious (of everyone else) and closed, and just a little "flat".
How'd i do?

Last edited by jaijai; 12-27-2011 at 09:18 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 PM

142 posts, read 288,415 times
Some.

Some are judgmental, ignorant, and unwilling to accept they are wrong.

:P

Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 PM

463 posts, read 1,287,898 times
Stereotypes are just what they are.......stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California