Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I am just giddy over the fact that I apparently struck a nerve.

And my entire statement is 100% correct.

California's economy has grown by 1 trillion dollars since the mid 1990s and that is a statistical fact.

In fact, I cant wait for the day when all of these whiny trolls pack up and leave once and for all.

California needs you like we need a cancerous tumor.

Id rather have 10 milliion hard working immigrants than 10 million windbags who are stuck in tje 1950s.

Be gone with you already, we're too busy looking ahead to care.
People who don't like where they live should move away. Texas, Kentucky, wherever. You are stupid not to. Join the .06% and be happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Default Does New York City Ring A Bell...Ding....Ding....Ding

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Correction: the Fed's balance sheet has grown, by trillions of dollars. And I don't know what you mean by the state economy "growing" by a trillion, given California had to slash and burn its bloated budget just a few years ago. And your statement also is in direct contradiction to the California government's own pronouncements, who regularly were issuing dire warnings about "revenue" shortfalls, i.e. tax confiscation wasn't enough to pay liabilities.

Three things that have grown in California: (1) unfunded liabilities and debt burden, now in the hundreds of billions of dollars; (2) taxes, including sales taxes and income taxes, thereby taking even more money out of the wallets of ordinary Californians; (3) bankrupt cities, and many more are on the way.

Correction: Quantitative easing, Federal Reserve money printing, and highly distorted interest rates have taken over the world economy. Think Twitter, a company that has never turned a profit as a public company, yet is accorded a whopping $30+ billion in market capitalization.

Quote:

The hubris of the defeated.

Now, I would ask you to think logically and critically, relying on basic math
skills, to answer the following questions:

1. If California's economy has really "grown by a trillion dollars,"
why did Stockton declare bankruptcy?

2. If California's economy has really "grown by a trillion dollars,"
why did Vallejo declare bankruptcy?

3. If California's economy has really "grown by a trillion dollars,"
why did San Bernardino declare bankruptcy?

4. If California's economy has really "grown by a trillion dollars,"
why did Mammoth Lakes declare bankruptcy?

5. If California's economy has really "grown by a trillion dollars,"
why did Desert Hot Springs not only declare bankruptcy once, but now has
declared a second financial emergency and may declare bankruptcy for a
second time?

Are these the signposts of a healthy and growing economy? Is this the imprimatur of a robust middle class?

Politicians lie. Pension fund boards lie. Bankers lie. Bankruptcy tells the truth.
The greatest city in the world was on the verge of Bankruptcy New York City New York.....until it
was Bail Out what does a bankruptcy have to do with the greatness of a City or State.

California financial status does not rest on the financial health of some small poor city
within the state of California.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
I love how people in this stae deny that the truly productive, wealthy, and insular are not leaving Let's be serious...CAlifornia is freacking fantastic..let's get that straight..RIght now I am trying to answer the question..is this still the place..money no object ? Recently been sad to that answer.. I am trying to start again out here..perhaps I need a new thread..living on and 8ff for as as long as I have...California is the best of the best..worst of the worst..yet somehow gotta give them c4dit baby..

Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Boosters and others who cling to CA for reasons related to the perception of social liberalism (and other intangible attributes) will also be in denial of the plight of the workingman and the middle class.

Tone deaf.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:40 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Boosters and others who cling to CA for reasons related to the perception of social liberalism (and other intangible attributes) will also be in denial of the plight of the workingman and the middle class.

Tone deaf.
Only a few people live in CA for its politics, and all of them post here. Only a few people left CA because of its politics, and all of them are also here.

But seriously, people live in CA for the weather, coast, and mountains. Give CA the weather and topography of TX and see how many people are living there out of political lust. California is like a pimply nerd with 6 hot sisters. A lot of people will want to get to know him for his sisters, and he'll sit there thinking it's all about him. The pimply nerd in this analogy is the government in Sacramento and the hot girls are Big Sur, great weather, Yosemite, Redwoods.......

Old 12-17-2013, 04:00 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

Tone deaf.
Uh, no, some of us get by quite happily in CA with much less than X hundred thousand dollars/year (even in SJ!). We're not moving to flyover country just to get a big house in the middle of nowhere, just to enjoy the wily intuition of wide swaths of Honey Booboo neighbors, marrying our cousins, and worshiping strange fairy tales while ducking bullets flying out of peeking speed-freaks' assault rifles. Political culture does have a lot to do with it. (Politics, among other things, governs what you can and can't do...meaning it touches everything, kiddies).

Old 12-17-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Uh, no, some of us get by quite happily in CA with much less than X hundred thousand dollars/year (even in SJ!). We're not moving to flyover country just to get a big house in the middle of nowhere, just to enjoy the wily intuition of wide swaths of Honey Booboo neighbors, marrying our cousins, and worshiping strange fairy tales while ducking bullets flying out of peeking speed-freaks' assault rifles. Political culture does have a lot to do with it. (Politics, among other things, governs what you can and can't do...meaning it touches everything, kiddies).
OK so you and 25 other people live here for your love of liberalism. I'll say again, if CA had the same weather and topography (i.e flat) as TX it would be just another state. Naturally politics touches us all. I think you would really see a difference moving between the US and Russia. I've hardly noticed the politics moving between states. You can definitely argue cost of living is tied to politics, but so is supply and demand for areas with great scenery and weather. Political ideology is not why people live in CA. I'm pretty darned certain of that.

You have a lot of spite for your country, which happens to be bigger than CA. Do you consider yourself American or just Californian?

Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
You have a lot of spite for your country, which happens to be bigger than CA. Do you consider yourself American or just Californian?
Spite for those who make Americans look like drooling apes to a great deal of the rest of the world. No love for knuckle-draggers.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Spite for those who make Americans look like drooling apes to a great deal of the rest of the world. No love for knuckle-draggers.
I think America is what is right with this world, not what is wrong. We have our problems for sure. We have some knuckle-draggers for sure. There are some things I'd love to change and see. What large country doesn't? None. That's another observation I have about the far left and right that bothers me. The far right makes it sound like we don't have a single problem that getting rid of a liberal won't solve. The far left paints our country as if it's evil and doesn't get anything right.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:24 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,177 times
Quote:
Your middle name couldn't be more apt. It's precisely this superior and condescending attitude that answers the oft asked question, "Why do people hate California?" Answer! It's people like this.

California has a lot going for it but you'd never know it when people living there have to be ugly in defending it. If it's so wonderful then no defense is necessary. If you can only defend it by belittling anywhere or everywhere else than it clearly has major problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California