U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,347,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I hope you are wrong here. I don't want anyone elected who irritates the other side to the point they accomplish nothing together. That's not good for us. As a moderate I am hopeful we will not see extremes on the ticket for either side. Difficult to tell though. The primaries favor the extremists.
Of course I'm wrong, I just WANT to see it. Doesn't mean I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
The Tea Party always get picked on. It's not like the Democrats don't have an extreme left wing influencing their party too. Heck, look at their leader in the House. Maybe you have to sit in the center of the aisle to see that. We often hear about how Reagan wouldn't get nominated in the current GOP. I'd also argue an unknown Bill Clinton wouldn't get the nod by Democrats either. I'd love to see a return of the old fashioned Democrats and Republicans. Is Brown in the mold of the new Democrats, or more of a classic liberal?
Come on Caraway, you know as well as I do that the extremes among the Dems are not as far gone as the extremes with the GOP. That's why the Dems have won the last two elections despite Obama not delivering the change he promised. Let me put it to you this way; a moderate Republican will almost always win in this country against a moderate Democrat. As moderates the Republicans are more appealing.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,967,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Come on Caraway, you know as well as I do that the extremes among the Dems are not as far gone as the extremes with the GOP. That's why the Dems have won the last two elections despite Obama not delivering the change he promised. Let me put it to you this way; a moderate Republican will almost always win in this country against a moderate Democrat. As moderates the Republicans are more appealing.
It all depends on where you sit. I suspect those on the right see the far left as more extreme, and those on the left see the far right as more extreme. In my eyes Pelosi is every bit as radical as Ted Cruz or Palin. Romney wasn't a Tea Partier for sure and he lost. Granted, he had to pretend to be further to the right than he was to get through the primary process. We'll see if you are correct in 2016 if it ends up being Hillary vs Christie. I'd like that ticket.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 14,014,928 times
Quote:
The Tea Party always get picked on.
Maybe because they went totally ballistic when a black guy got elected President? Even after their goofs took over the House and put forth their own ideas for legislation, how many times have they immediately condemned their own friggin' bills as soon as the President said he agreed with them? That's insane. Yet just another day for these freaks.

When your leaders include the likes of Limbaugh, Palin, Hannity, O'Reilly, Coulter, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Michele Bachmann, Eric Cantor, funded by such darlings as the Koch bros., about how far is the party going to go? What shall one say when history looks back on this sordid era, and says "WTF???" You were part of that?

Moonbeam doesn't need to jump into that quagmire: He said before he got elected that he is free to make the decisions he wants as Governor, since he's too old to think about future campaigns and thereby have to be a stiff for any party. Has much to do with why he's been comparatively effective in a very difficult job.

It's going to be Hillary vs. Mount Christie in 2016. Can't wait for the debates.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
It all depends on where you sit. I suspect those on the right see the far left as more extreme, and those on the left see the far right as more extreme. In my eyes Pelosi is every bit as radical as Ted Cruz or Palin. Romney wasn't a Tea Partier for sure and he lost. Granted, he had to pretend to be further to the right than he was to get through the primary process. We'll see if you are correct in 2016 if it ends up being Hillary vs Christie. I'd like that ticket.
Well, the GOP doesn't seem to be doing to well in recent years so I guess more are sitting near me.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Maybe because they went totally ballistic when a black guy got elected President? Even after their goofs took over the House and put forth their own ideas for legislation, how many times have they immediately condemned their own friggin' bills as soon as the President said he agreed with them? That's insane. Yet just another day for these freaks.

When your leaders include the likes of Limbaugh, Palin, Hannity, O'Reilly, Coulter, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Michele Bachmann, Eric Cantor, funded by such darlings as the Koch bros., about how far is the party going to go? What shall one say when history looks back on this sordid era, and says "WTF???" You were part of that?

Moonbeam doesn't need to jump into that quagmire: He said before he got elected that he is free to make the decisions he wants as Governor, since he's too old to think about future campaigns and thereby have to be a stiff for any party. Has much to do with why he's been comparatively effective in a very difficult job.

It's going to be Hillary vs. Mount Christie in 2016. Can't wait for the debates.
Don't say "your". I'm not in the Tea Party. Can't mention Koch Bros on the right without mentioning Soros on the left. There are left talking heads for every one on the right. This is one of the things that humors myself and anyone else in proximity to the center. Each side actually believes only the other side is extreme. You can bring up the Koch bros and various right talking heads and pretend to be unaware of Soros or the existence of talking heads on the left. Nice.

I do hope you are right about Hillary vs Christie.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Well, the GOP doesn't seem to be doing to well in recent years so I guess more are sitting near me.
Nothing remains for long. Although I do believe more and more states are turning blue, much of this goes in cycles. One party or the other has been written off more than once only to come back. Fortunes can turn overnight in politics.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:55 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,137,387 times
Quote:
I don't think he will run again. He's already tried, I believe twice in the past. It would be interesting though, then both main parties would have extremes running for office. If not Jerry Brown, someone. It would be my fondest wish for someone like him to be elected just to irritate the hell out of the right.
Always a good, productive and mature reason to vote for someone. Thankfully, I don't believe it's popular even with the left, is it?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Always a good, productive and mature reason to vote for someone. Thankfully, I don't believe it's popular even with the left, is it?
Oh yeah, it's wildly popular, it's the driving force to get everyone to the polls. If it's added that video will be posted showing the big crocodile tears coming down their faces, turnout will be over 90%!

Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Nothing remains for long. Although I do believe more and more states are turning blue, much of this goes in cycles. One party or the other has been written off more than once only to come back. Fortunes can turn overnight in politics.
We don't live in the same country with the same political attitudes we did 30 years ago. People have been saying what you're saying since the early 2000's yet the only thing that has changed is that the polarization has only increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California