Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX182 View Post
I have always wanted to move to California and was considering moving soon. Is this event truly something to worry about?
No. You'll be exposed to more ionizing radiation from taking a run on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX182 View Post
I have always wanted to move to California and was considering moving soon. Is this event truly something to worry about?
These California boosters will tell you anything to make their state look good. I advise you to steer clear away from CA. In substitution for your lifelong dream, I recommend that you move someplace discrete like Wyoming and begin digging yourself a fallout shelter and start buying up a large supply of canned food. It's only a matter of time before the radiation spreads inland and our great metropolises become vapid vehement vortexes of violence.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
It's only a matter of time before the radiation spreads inland and our great metropolises become vapid vehement vortexes of violence.
Vile vapid vitriol vexes voluminously. Wyoming don't need no radiation-wimps!

Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Ah, yes. On second thought, run! Run far away! Take a few hundred native Californians with you, in fact.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I was just reading this article which references many different news stories about the Fukushima disaster. Apparently, it's not a problem that has been fixed, but one that's only begun. I really don't feel like eating sea food anymore...

US: West Coast Fried by Nuclear Radiation from Fukushima | Scoop News
My friend you have more important issues to worry about right now whether you realize it or not.

First and foremost, general availability of water.

It ain't raining.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Brace for brown lawns, all you proud parents of emerald carpets of suburban perfection.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 AM

325 posts, read 577,080 times
From RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service this past week:

"Highly radioactive water was detected inside the No. 3 reactor building at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant, Tepco said. It is believed that the water may have leaked from within the reactor. The water was found to have high levels of radioactive cesium and cobalt, but Tepco claimed none of the water has leaked out of the building itself. A report in December suggested it would take five years to put an end to radioactive water leaks in and around the plant."

Old 01-26-2014, 01:24 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times
While I haven't yet dug down deep enough to have a solid opinion on whether or not radiation levels are actually higher than what's being officially reported, or perhaps more importantly headed higher, I would suggest taking anything from snopes.com with a grain of salt too. This is a much quoted site and I have run into several things posted there that were just plain wrong or over-simplified to the point of not giving the right impression. This is in no way an authority site and the research there is quite superficial and weak on topics I know well. Why it is so loved by Google is beyond me at this point but this is why it is quoted so much.

Huffington Post used to be a good reference but can no longer be trusted after being bought out by AOL, i.e. mainstream media. I have seen a deterioration in quality on subjects I know very well. Compromises were made almost immediately after it was sold. I still read articles there on occasion but take it only as interesting, not completely trustworthy.

On these types of issues, I have never found the mainstream media to be a trustworthy source of information. One must dig deeper to arrive at the truth. Alternative media can be very helpful in this quest but one does have to be careful to verify all facts presented. At any rate, it is important to always think about who pays the bills for source you area reading and does the publication care if it offends a certain group(s) of people.... i.e. high loyal readership = more profit.

I will say this. I predicted a nuclear disaster like Fukushima would happen in my lifetime years before it actually happened. I saw it as a matter of when it would happen, not if it would happen. Anyone who continues to believe that nuclear energy is the way to go for the future has their head stuck in the sand. I've seen very intelligent people say things like, "Well, it wouldn't have happened if...." and "It wouldn't have been so bad if..." There are ALWAYS "ifs" in these types of tragedies. When making decisions on whether or not to support a particular type of technology, it is always prudent to assume the worst possible scenario will eventually play out and then ask, "Can I/humanity live with that?" My response to this question with regards to nuclear energy would be a resounding "NO!"

Old 01-26-2014, 04:46 PM

325 posts, read 577,080 times
Fukushima: An Update from Japan – Censored Notebook, Investigative Research

Old 01-26-2014, 06:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I was just reading this article which references many different news stories about the Fukushima disaster. Apparently, it's not a problem that has been fixed, but one that's only begun. I really don't feel like eating sea food anymore...

US: West Coast Fried by Nuclear Radiation from Fukushima | Scoop News
The trace amount of radiation that is in the seafood is probably small compared to the trace amounts of heavy metals and other pollutants that are in the seafood.

[and everything else you eat]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 01-26-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California