Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:18 PM

12 posts, read 15,733 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is my first post on the forum, so bear with me. I've read countless threads on here over the past couple of months and decided it was time to start my own so I could get my specific questions answered.

I'm going to be graduating in the spring and am finally beginning my job search. It's been my dream since forever to move out to CA after college for various reasons, but I've never left the east coast and have lived in Pennsylvania my entire life, so I am in need of some help.

Obviously I know well enough not to move somewhere until I have a job set up, and I know I need to visit before I just up and move there to know for sure it's for me, but it's such a big state and I would really appreciate any insight so I can at least narrow down my job search. So far SoCal/San Diego seems most desirable from what I've read and heard, but I still don't really have a great idea.

So anyway getting on with it...

I'll be a 22-year-old, single female who's not a total party animal but would love to have options for things to do on the weekends where I can meet others around my age, so some nightlife would be great. I'm very laid back and simple and do not enjoy "city life", ie NYC or Philadelphia. I've lived in the suburbs my whole life and that's definitely where I'm most comfortable, but I'd also go for a happy medium between suburb and urban. I'm also kind of paranoid. I'm well aware that there is crime everywhere no matter where you live, but it would be nice to be out and about at night and not hyperventilate on the way back to my apartment.

I'll be going into graphic design, and so I'm not really worried about location as far as finding an actual job goes, because based on my searching you can find graphic designers pretty much anywhere. The salary is another story: I'm not expecting to make more than $35-40k first starting out. I have some money saved up, and I might have to wait a little and save a little more before moving, but still I'm not sure it would be realistic for me to be paying more than $900 something for an apartment or if it's even realistic for me to find that in my ideal area. Commuting is also an option, so maybe it's possible to find areas nearby the more popular places that are cheaper and relatively safe with a younger population? I would love to live near the beach, but again—especially based on apartment rental price searches I've done so far—that's not exactly realistic, either.

Sorry this is such a long post, but obviously I have no idea where to even start so any input/experience would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:06 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Santa Monica or the beach towns south of there would be fun for you. Get some roommates off Craigslist to keep rent low.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:28 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Hello and welcome to the forum. You are right. California is a huge state. But so far based on what you've described these seem to be your requirements:

1. Relatively close to coast
2. Safe areas
3. Things to do for young ppl including some social venues
4. Not too urban
5. Relative affordability at least by CA coastal area standards
6. Some graphic design jobs

Based on this criteria which is actually pretty common BTW I would focus more on the San Diego region for 'relative' affordability. Take a look at Mission and Ocean Beaches. Also Calsbad, Cardiff and Encinitas are all really nice. With these locations you can look a bit inland to find more affordability. But when young and single as you are I recommend trying to find a good roommate situation in the nicer areas rather than a studio in the less desirable locations.

Orange County may work also, though there are parts which are very crowded. Maybe Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, or Mission Viejo would work.

LA sounds a bit too urban, especially the West Side (Santa Monica, Venice, etc...). Though you may want to check the South Bay beach communities. Most affordable but still nice there would be Torrance or Redondo Beach.

I would start there and then look for jobs. While San Diego may be generally more affordable it also attracts a lot of young college grads like yourself. Hence jobs are more limited. So that is something to consider as you begin your search. Just don't take a position in Downtown LA or Hollywierd. They are too crowded and the traffic will take away from your enjoyment of the state. Try to find a job not too far from your home to minimize traffic hassles.

Hope that helps some.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-10-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the quick responses! I definitely think more south is the way to go. I'll definitely be looking into those areas, Derek, and the surrounding areas. I think right now I'm just a little iffy on the roommate situation. Ideally I know someone at least somewhat who is in the same situation, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with sharing my living space with a total stranger after moving across the country. I think I just have to weigh my options.

I've been reading good things about the South Park area as well. Is this a younger community? From what I can remember I saw a few rental opportunities in the "lower" price range around this area.

I also don't have a problem with crowd, so I'll look into OC for sure as well. Again thanks for the input! I feel like I've been researching forever and still have a lot to do, but narrowing it down is definitely a help!

Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clk25 View Post
I think right now I'm just a little iffy on the roommate situation. Ideally I know someone at least somewhat who is in the same situation, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with sharing my living space with a total stranger after moving across the country. I think I just have to weigh my options.
The roommate scenario, especially for recent college grads, is a very common living situation in coastal California metros. Incomes here are higher, but typically not high enough to make up for the cost of living. And living here being broke or in debt is no fun, either. Something has to give.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Santa Monica, Long Beach, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna, Newport Beach, or San Diego. You'll be very happy in either of those places. Look for female roommates on Craigslist. Try to save up to 5-6 months of living expenses to allow you time to find a job in your field.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,386 times
I graduated from grad school in 2008. I have always wanted to live in California, but havent secured a job there.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Santa Cruz might be a good choice. College town, lots of young people around, including recent college grads like you, and grad students. Shared housing or a studio apt. would be a good bet. Close to the Bay Area, for potential clientele and entertainment. Relatively safe, beach community, redwoods. Not too hot, weather is just right. Oh, and did I mention: lots of cute guys?

Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Santa Cruz might be a good choice. College town, lots of young people around, including recent college grads like you, and grad students. Shared housing or a studio apt. would be a good bet. Close to the Bay Area, for potential clientele and entertainment. Relatively safe, beach community, redwoods. Not too hot, weather is just right. Oh, and did I mention: lots of cute guys?
Stoner city 101, but I agree it is a really cool place. Ran into my ex when I last visited with my then-new girlfriend (awkward). Lovely and trendy place, with more concentrated liberal arts majors that any city in CA I'd imagine.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, it's really helpful and appreciated!

I think my biggest issue now is the whole roommate situation, since it's really not ideal but seems kind of like the only realistic option. Anyone have any promising roommate stories? How much savings do you suggest having before making the move without a roommate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California