Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
The area I will be moving to in CA has all Blue Ribbon schools (no need for private schools), lots of stuff for kids and families to do and is a very safe area.

You are making the right choice for a place in California to raise kids.

If California, then Conejo Valley or Westake or the places you are looking at for raising kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,071,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

If California, then Conejo Valley or Westake or the places you are looking at for raising kids.
Thank you!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Orange and Marin Counties are good for raising kids too.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Young couple from MN, considering a move to Sacramento. I have travelled all over the country and I love California. Never ever considered moving there mainly because of the high cost of housing but we are seriously thinking about it. My question is: Is California worth it even with the relatively high cost of housing? Also, what are the reasons for so many people moving out of CA? I would love to read your thoughts! Thanks!
You can't poll folks to make a decision, things that bother other folks won't bother you and vice versa. You need to objectively look at the cost of owning or renting space you would consider adequate and make your decision. Outside of housing, eveything else cost pretty much what it cost everywhere else in the country.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You can't poll folks to make a decision, things that bother other folks won't bother you and vice versa. You need to objectively look at the cost of owning or renting space you would consider adequate and make your decision. Outside of housing, eveything else cost pretty much what it cost everywhere else in the country.
But housing is the biggest single monthly expense most people have. When the price doubles or triples, that's a problem. Its not like the price of celery being terribly high where it won't have much impact on your budget.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:22 AM

6 posts, read 32,085 times
I too am thinking of leaving my beloved Cali after 31 years to N.Carolina. Sick of high rent (3,000 per month for a mediocre house). Sick of no one speaking English and stores even catering to monolinigual Spanish Speakers. Sick of 1-2 hour commute to anywhere. Sick of clicky people that are not friendly (come on now fellow Cali's, when was the last time that you met a stranger on the street to just talk?). People do not leave Ventura (which says alot i know) but this creates people whom have known each other since kindergartin and have no interest in making new friends. This is a small town, dont be fooled by the large city feel. So you get that small town weird gossip that goes on.
I will miss weather. I will miss retail.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:51 AM

62 posts, read 375,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Hi Lukeache,

I'm originally from the south. The military sent me to California in 1977 and I've been here ever since. I started off in the south Bay area and now live outside of Sacramento. After living for the last 30 years in California, I've decided that I've had enough of this state. The major metropolitan areas in California have a high overall cost of living. The state is crowded with more and more people moving in each year. Illegal alien immigration is out of control. This costs taxpayers billions of dollars each year. The corrupt politicians ignore this problem because they fear they will lose the hispanic vote if they try to do something about it. Many of the politicians are "Looney Tunes," especially in San Francisco. The freeways are a nightmare. Everyone is so much in a hurry that courteous drivers are few and far between. Property taxes are high. My goal is to leave California as soon as I can retire.

If you are looking for better weather that you are experiencing in Minnesota, you WILL find better weather here in California. I have to admit that I do like the weather here. California is a beautiful state, but the weather and the beauty of the state is not enough to keep me here.

This post took the words right out of my mouth! TRAFFIC, high TAXES and everything else mentioned... and let me add SMOG... we are leaving this state (which I was born and raised in..been here since 1960) for WA state.. eastern WA... my cousin moved up there and the last time her and her DH flew in to the central valley they said we really needed to fly in and see the smog layer that we were living under... they left the Visalia/Fresno area 5 yrs ago and have never looked back... all it took was one visit up there last Apr and we were sold! been there 4 times now , DH found a job and we are outa here as soon as we can sell our home... will this Cali girl like snow?? DH assures me that it's not so bad... he's lived in snow alot of his life.... we shall see! I never thought I would leave this state but it's just gettin so darn crowded... way too much traffic... everyone we meet in MO and TN when we visit family...oohs and ahhs and wishes they could move to sunny CA... we just laugh and say well come on out...

Old 12-31-2007, 01:24 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,679,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGal31 View Post
I too am thinking of leaving my beloved Cali after 31 years to N.Carolina. Sick of high rent (3,000 per month for a mediocre house). Sick of no one speaking English and stores even catering to monolinigual Spanish Speakers. Sick of 1-2 hour commute to anywhere. Sick of clicky people that are not friendly (come on now fellow Cali's, when was the last time that you met a stranger on the street to just talk?). People do not leave Ventura (which says alot i know) but this creates people whom have known each other since kindergartin and have no interest in making new friends. This is a small town, dont be fooled by the large city feel. So you get that small town weird gossip that goes on.
I know exactly how you feel. I hope you will be happy with your move. I will be leaving California when I retire in 6 to 7 years. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:35 PM

51 posts, read 287,226 times
Default i feel your pain

i moved to california looking for the weather and the last remnants of the sixties spirit. i moved away from california looking for a place i can afford and think about starting a family. all i really want to do is move back to california, but if you want affordable you have to stay away from the coast, and that's half of the draw. if you go inland a little, you can surely find something you can afford. but i have been to many places and i compare every place back to california, and nothing really holds a candle. i say go!

californians looking to move to NC will be sorely disappointed. the affordable housing is there to be found, but not much else. there are only two areas you will find similar liberal values, the triangle and asheville. the triangle is more small town than people pretend, people are not as friendly as you think, no neighbors knocking on your door with cookies to welcome you to the neighborhood, the southern hospitality of friendly people only exists in the rural down home areas, but the trade off is the blatant and open racism. and you find crack in every area that is even a little rural. and the drivers compare to LA and NY. culture is here, but you have to look hard to search it out, so how much culture is that? asheville people are very friendly, but the diversity and bohemian reports are false. i didn't see a single non-Caucasian person and not a single hippie either. very mountain-community, not very bohemian. All I can say is to make sure to visit and check it out for your self.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,039,242 times
Arrow You'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGal31 View Post
Eh, I predict that you'll miss more than CA's weather and retail after a time in North Carolina. To coin a genuine CA phrase, [you'll] be back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California