Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:15 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

UCLA is world renown as a top school. More so than some lower ivies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 PM

305 posts, read 376,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
UC Berkeley and UCLA rank in the top 12 of this recent list of university rankings in North America.
World rankings - North America - Times Higher Education
I agree, he must don't know his stuff. Cal Tech, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine, are highly ranked and therefore, well regarded by academia. USC, Claremonts, and Mudd are no pushovers either.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:54 PM

OP: Personally, I would not choose a CSU over a UC school but, the Polys have decent reputations in California. I know a few wealthy and successful CSU grads. Most, however, wind up on the lower end of the pay scale.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:35 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
OP: Personally, I would not choose a CSU over a UC school .
However, the Cal State system is still a great bargain, tuition wise.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
OP: Personally, I would not choose a CSU over a UC school but, the Polys have decent reputations in California. I know a few wealthy and successful CSU grads. Most, however, wind up on the lower end of the pay scale.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I know this is a ridiculous measure but all the cars I've seen with CSU alumni stickers have been mid level cars. All of the high end cars I've seen have UCLA or USC stickers. I'm sure my small anecdotal evidence for my theory is spurious but most CSU ppl I've talked to have been middle class at best.

The only exception was Cal Poly SLO and Pomona.

That's why I'm asking about how ppl especially employers view the non-Poly CSUs?

Old 01-25-2014, 05:49 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Cal Poly SLO actually ranks fairly high on this list of pay levels (just under USC).
Full List of Schools - PayScale College Salary Report 2013-14

Old 01-25-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Cal Poly SLO actually ranks fairly high on this list of pay levels (just under USC).
Full List of Schools - PayScale College Salary Report 2013-14
I would go to cal poly slo in a heart beat if it wasn't so far. Its actually from what I've heard more sought out than a lot of UCs and USC in technical fields; arch, engineering, comp sci etc.

Proly the best bargain the state has to offer

Old 01-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I know this is a ridiculous measure but all the cars I've seen with CSU alumni stickers have been mid level cars. All of the high end cars I've seen have UCLA or USC stickers. I'm sure my small anecdotal evidence for my theory is spurious but most CSU ppl I've talked to have been middle class at best.

That's why I'm asking about how ppl especially employers view the non-Poly CSUs?
That's because it's the truth. All the upper class hoods in California are dominated by graduates of the power schools, the UCs, USC, Stanford, and sprinklings of out of state prestigious schools, Washington, Texas, Oregon, The Big 10 schools, etc.. CSUs just don't have any money--to be honest. If you go to Pomona and want a high paying job after graduation, you will be competing with the big boys. Just keep that in mind.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
That's because it's the truth. All the upper class hoods in California are dominated by graduates of the power schools, the UCs, USC, Stanford, and sprinklings of out of state prestigious schools, Washington, Texas, Oregon, The Big 10 schools, etc.. CSUs just don't have any money--to be honest. If you go to Pomona and want a high paying job after graduation, you will be competing with the big boys. Just keep that in mind.
I assumed that Pomona and Cal Poly SLO were both exceptions in the hard sciences? Is Pomona not as well regarded?

I know of a program that's dual Cal Poly Pomona and UCLA, if that helps? I just don't think I could afford the UCs. The Cal States just have such low tuition that can't be beat.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

UCLA and USC have a high number of students from well to do families, families that have the resources to afford top universities. Many of those nice cars with UCLA and USC alumni frames/stickers could very well be hand me downs or paid for with family money.

Not that UCLA and USC grads won't move on to make good money... but just be aware that many have something to prove, even if it means slapping an alumni frame on the family Mercedes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California