Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,091 times

Advertisements

LA has more financial jobs. Orange County and San Diego have some tech jobs. Most of the job growth and tech companies are locating in Nor Cal these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
A 'decent one bedroom' in SD can be found for MUCH less than 1800!
It depends on your definition of 'decent' I suppose. It's not all that easy to find a decent apartment for $1200 in the inland empire IME. Especially when the promotional pricing expires after the first year. When I moved out of the inland empire I was paying $1325 a month for a decent 1BR apartment. I'm going to assume rents are higher in San Diego than the Inland Empire.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:57 PM

56 posts, read 115,517 times
I just estimated the price of the apartment on a conservative guess about what I might make. If the jobs turn out to pay a little more, then I can afford a little more. Bay Area, Orange County and San Diego sound great right now. OC seems like it might be a little bit expensive to try and rent there, but like the Bay Area, it has a low unemployment rate. San Diego is a little higher, but no worse than Indianapolis. I think I will call some temp agencies Monday and see what jobs they have and what they pay.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:06 PM

282 posts, read 618,116 times
Rent in the bay area is ridiculous! $1200 in most places here will get you between a bedroom with roommates or a crummy studio. The rentals are not very nice a lot of the time either in that price range. Depending where you wanna live you will find different things, check craigslist. I would go for san diegp if it were me especially of youre a single guy but the bay is nice too but very expensive & kind of uppity.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:24 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post
Rent in the bay area is ridiculous! $1200 in most places here will get you between a bedroom with roommates or a crummy studio. The rentals are not very nice a lot of the time either in that price range. Depending where you wanna live you will find different things, check craigslist. I would go for san diegp if it were me especially of youre a single guy but the bay is nice too but very expensive & kind of uppity.
Of course the Bay is pricier. They cap development, it's in high demand, and jobs are there.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:28 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
The salaries are much higher than elsewhere in the state, for many of the jobs. Rent is only as high as the free market will allow, if renters cannot afford to pay the stated rents, the rents will eventually fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaHead View Post

Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 PM

282 posts, read 618,116 times
I'm just letting the guy know what he's in for. Rents here don't add up for everyone either. I'm a self employed contractor running a small business & its tough sometimes . If you're a six figure income tech person or have 2 incomes it isn't as bad. I was just letting the op know that pretty much anywhere is cheaper than here & the job market is good but the area has other negatives or at least to me. Anyways, craigslist

Old 02-02-2014, 10:31 PM

56 posts, read 115,517 times
I'm lucky in that I don't have many bills. I could stretch the budget to $1600 even if the job search was disappointing and I had to settle for something entry level, although I might have to dip into savings for a while. I do have marketable experience, so with some luck I should be able to do better than that.

It's sounding like the consensus is that SoCal is a less expensive and more laid back place to live but the job market may be somewhat better in the Bay Area. SF gets high marks for its bike infrastructure, but I don't know how much of that carries over into the outlying areas where I will probably end up. The Bay Area apparently has a much more developed mass transit system, but I'm not sure how much I would use it. As much as I hate to admit it, sometimes a car is a good way to travel if it is too far to bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California