Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,597 times

Advertisements

We are in a colder climate and entering our "boomer" years. My wife grew up in San Jose many years ago and would love to get back to CA. I originally came from the "right" coast and we are living now in CO. As the temp currently is 6 degrees with snow forecasted for the week ahead and seeing anywhere from 50 - 60's elsewhere, we are really getting the "gotta get out of here" blues. With that said, we are approaching retirement and cost is a concern. We enjoy the crafts as well as I am a car guy who likes to build old hot rods. So we seek a large enough place in a laid back setting. Our home investment would need to be no more than $250K. Our children are grown. Crime rates are an obvious concern. On a recent road trip from central CA to the lower northern area, I felt quite comfortable in the north. You could go west to the ocean and east to the mountains without a lot of hassle. Googling brings up many diverse answers and becomes confusing. SoCal seems to be out of the question reading many of the threads unless you want to be part of the dessert. If we could find a neat older building to remodel, that would not be an issue. We are "hands on" people who would like to be in proximity to cultural happenings and progressive stimulation. So i guess it comes down to the economy that we are stuck in. I personally have reservations concerning the economic health of CA, high home related expenses (taxes and utilities), the intrusion of so many laws to "protect me," and the higher cost of living overall. Yet, there are many nice things about the state that are appealing especially the temperate weather with lower humidity. If anyone has some thoughts on places to consider at this point in our lives, your input would be most valued. We thought of FL but the high humidity, sinkholes, hurricanes, and crime in and around the cookie-cutter same old shopping centers are not out cup of tea, so to speak. We also do not want to be part of a golf and line dance retirement community. Our age is getting there but our hearts and minds are still young and free. Thanks in advance for all of your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
You could look at Sacramento in that price range. Note, there is a separate forum for Sac.

Examples: Sacramento Real Estate - Sacramento, CA Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 PM

542 posts, read 1,549,085 times
I am not familiar with north CA, but I would think inland parts of SoCal could maybe work for you (Riverside, Redlands, etc.). That is not desert, and is much cheaper than OC and LA counties.

Another idea would be AZ. I do not know if you have considered AZ, but the Phoenix area would have some great options for you, with the warmer climate you seek. If the Phoenix area is too warm for you, there are areas like Prescott and Payson that are cooler in the summer than Phoenix, but warmer in the winter than CO. Just something to consider, since you mentioned the taxes and nanny-state style of CA.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:13 PM

702 posts, read 954,121 times
Take a look at Santa Rosa, about 60 miles North of San Francisco. In 2016-2017, they'll be opening a rail transit system in Sonoma and Marin counties, so when you're old and unable to drive, you'll still be able to take trips in and around the Bay Area.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
I also second Sacramento area-try Auburn in the foothills, and maybe Roseville outside of SACm as well?
Also, Temecula in Riverside county [but it's only 45 min. from SD proper and 30 min. to beaches in oceanside (san diego county)], so you're close to SD amenities and Temecula has about 100k, I think. I'm not sure what the market is doing there at the moment, re: your budget.

Santa Rosa is great, but I can't imagine finding anything in your range there in a good neighborhood. [There are some not great areas in that city]. However, you never know so check it out....

That's actually all I can come up with in the entire! state of CA, with your budget and desires. That's depressing to me! sigh.
Maybe Chico, college town up north? Might be too isolated for you though?

Best of luck w/your move....

Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM

83 posts, read 149,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysLateDollarsShort View Post
We are in a colder climate and entering our "boomer" years. My wife grew up in San Jose many years ago and would love to get back to CA. I originally came from the "right" coast and we are living now in CO. As the temp currently is 6 degrees with snow forecasted for the week ahead and seeing anywhere from 50 - 60's elsewhere, we are really getting the "gotta get out of here" blues. With that said, we are approaching retirement and cost is a concern. We enjoy the crafts as well as I am a car guy who likes to build old hot rods. So we seek a large enough place in a laid back setting. Our home investment would need to be no more than $250K. Our children are grown. Crime rates are an obvious concern. On a recent road trip from central CA to the lower northern area, I felt quite comfortable in the north. You could go west to the ocean and east to the mountains without a lot of hassle. Googling brings up many diverse answers and becomes confusing. SoCal seems to be out of the question reading many of the threads unless you want to be part of the dessert. If we could find a neat older building to remodel, that would not be an issue. We are "hands on" people who would like to be in proximity to cultural happenings and progressive stimulation. So i guess it comes down to the economy that we are stuck in. I personally have reservations concerning the economic health of CA, high home related expenses (taxes and utilities), the intrusion of so many laws to "protect me," and the higher cost of living overall. Yet, there are many nice things about the state that are appealing especially the temperate weather with lower humidity. If anyone has some thoughts on places to consider at this point in our lives, your input would be most valued. We thought of FL but the high humidity, sinkholes, hurricanes, and crime in and around the cookie-cutter same old shopping centers are not out cup of tea, so to speak. We also do not want to be part of a golf and line dance retirement community. Our age is getting there but our hearts and minds are still young and free. Thanks in advance for all of your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I also second Sacramento area-try Auburn in the foothills, and maybe Roseville outside of SACm as well?
Also, Temecula in Riverside county [but it's only 45 min. from SD proper and 30 min. to beaches in oceanside (san diego county)], so you're close to SD amenities and Temecula has about 100k, I think. I'm not sure what the market is doing there at the moment, re: your budget.

Santa Rosa is great, but I can't imagine finding anything in your range there in a good neighborhood. [There are some not great areas in that city]. However, you never know so check it out....

That's actually all I can come up with in the entire! state of CA, with your budget and desires. That's depressing to me! sigh.
Maybe Chico, college town up north? Might be too isolated for you though?

Best of luck w/your move....
I'll second the suggestion to look into Chico, it may be just what the OP is looking for. You can find a decent home in Chico in the $250K range with enough space and property to do the kinds of things you guys like to do. I wouldn't necessarily call Chico "isolated", it's far enough removed from the main interstate (I-5) that it feels sheltered, but not so far that you feel like you're a days journey from civilization. Chico itself is large enough now that it feels like it's own bustling little metropolis.

As far as home expenses go, I know that in the 70's California passed Proposition 13 which prevents the property taxes from rising above 1% of the home value, this is a big deal in California because so many cities have homes that are fetching easily in excess of $1,000,000. In Chico that average home price is around $300-325 but like I said before, you can easily find a great place within your budget. There are also plenty of older homes around town, especially in the downtown area, so the chances that you guys would find something to remodel are pretty good.

The weather in Chico is pretty moderate, it's known for being one of the sunniest cities in the nation. There often tends to be some extreme heat waves in the summer, especially in July and August you will see triple-digits. Last summer there were a few days that peaked around 115° - 118°, and the winter lows can dip down into the 20's. Typically the wet season is from November until about March, but the last few years have been somewhat atypical because of this massive drought California has been experiencing.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Look around Prunedale & Felton. There are some nice forested areas. PD is close to Monterey. Felton is close to Santa Cruz......

https://www.google.com/#q=Prunedale+ca

https://www.google.com/#q=Felton+Ca

Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
You mention "progressive" but also that you don't like a govt over-protecting you. Sounds like a middle of the road political stance, which is what i was trying to figure out.

Consider Redding. I just retired here from Santa Clara (next to San Jose). It's waaay more Republican than I'm used to in CA, lol, but I also used to be married to a logger in WA state, so I'm used to rednecks, too :-) I find Redding to be a bit more like the Pacific Northwest, but there are plenty of us democrats here, too. It is also beautiful, like the PNW with the Sacramento River flowing through town, and Mount Shasta very visible from town, too. Lots of trees and hills.

There are a lot of events around town, and the Cascade theater downtown gets first rate shows. So, you should be able to find cultural events. If you're into outdoor recreation, you'll love it here. Great fishing in the Sacramanto River, mountains abound, lots of hiking, and great places to take your dog off-leash (what I especially love!).

Chico is not far from Redding, kind of between Redding and Sacramento. Chico is a university town, so more "granola." I love a university town, but I found Chico too expensive for me. I am renting a subsidized senior apt. I applied in Chico but the lists were too long, and the rents too high - even for low-income apts. I got into one in Redding, and found I really like it here.

You can find housing in both areas in your price range. You would get more for your money in Redding, IMO.

There is more crime here in Redding than what I was used to in Santa Clara. I live in downtown, and there is a big homeless problem. But, so far, they don't bother me. And people still dress up and bring their families downtown, in spite of the fact that there are a few homeless guys wandering around. I also don't see them in the neighborhoods, so I am guessing that you would only encounter them, if/when you came downtown. There are a couple of missions in the downtown area that feed and house them, which is why they hang out downtown.

There is a ton of shopping in Redding. Everything you can think of is here. Well, maybe not Gucci :-)

I don't know if there is a homeless problem in Chico. Haven't been there in years.

BTW, I get so frustrated when people assume everything is more expensive in CA. There are threads on this subject constantly. Housing is high where the good jobs are, there is a CA income tax, but there is a cap on property tax, per Proposition 13, as someone else mentioned.

The job market isn't great in Redding, but that's what makes it the perfect place to retire, IMO. Bad job market = cheaper housing.

Also, there is good healthcare in Redding, and Redding has trauma centers, where patients get helicoptered in. So, healthcare shouldn't be an issue for you.

Regarding sales tax, here's a website where you can look them up by city/county.

California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates - Cities, Counties and Tax Rates - California State Board of Equalization

In Redding it's 7.5%. Same in Chico.

For comparison, Sacramento is 8.5%. San Jose is 8.75%.

Redding has it's own public utility district, and rates are pretty low for electricity. I only pay for electricity. If you are low income, you can apply for a discount, too.

I think that utilities are cheaper in CA than other places. Or that's been my experience.

As far as groceries, definitely cheaper in CA than other states I've lived in. In Redding, there are so many discount stores all competing for your dollar, it's amazing. And for craft supplies, there is a Michaels and a JoAnne's Fabrics. For home improvement, Lowe's and Home Depot, among many others.

Anyway, you can always figure out how to make things work within your budget.

Here are real estate search results for both Redding and Chico with max $250,000.

Redding Real Estate - Redding, CA Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Chico Real Estate - Chico, CA Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

At any rate, it's not impossible to find what you are looking for in CA. Even in Redding today, as far north as it is, is 48 degrees right now and raining. We had one snow dusting in November, that stayed on the ground just a few days.

Here's the snow outside my window in downtown Redding. This photo was taken the morning after it snowed. As you can see, it's already melting. That's all we've gotten so far.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best!

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 02-07-2014 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California