Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,654 times

Advertisements

I was planning on moving to California at the end of December from MN. I am going with two other people and they have pushed back the date four months because they say we will not be able to get through the mountains in winter. I have heard a few different things like getting chains and what not, but is it possible to drive there without paying extra money for things like that, especially since it will be a one time trip??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 01:27 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times
Sure you can get through the mountains! It does require timing though. Coming from Minnesota would put you in harms way just about everywhere on your route (I-35 to I-80 etc.) for snow etc. You're probably looking at 4 or 5 days of travel to get here unless you can rotate drivers and drive at night as well. I've done the trip in 32 hours of driving (Mpls to Sac) in a 48 hour period several times. That is fast though and without a trailer and few fluff stops. You're probably looking at closer to 40 hours of actual driving time to get here.

Just get prepared and watch the weather closely. Check the forecasts for Omaha, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, Reno and Sacramento. You can do a Goggle for NWS Sacramento or NWS Salt Lake City. Click the mountains and passes to get a forecast for the most challenging parts of the trip! Find that 3 to 5 day period that offers the window you need. Plan on wind in Wyoming! It always seems windy there for some reason. The Sierra Nevada range between Reno and Sacramento might be the biggest obstacle on the route (the Salt Lake City downhill grade in the Wasatch is no picnic either). Make sure you look over your rig closely in Reno before going over the pass. The I-80 pass can be a mess for days on end if you hit a storm pattern. This part of the trip is critical! Make sure you don't arrive in Reno with big storms pounding the Sierra. You could be stuck for days. Even with chains, I wouldn't want to tow a trailer up and over the Sierra with snow flying. You might do fine climbing up to the pass but the downhill side of the roller coaster drop to Sacramento will give you white knuckles! Do it in nice/dry weather and you should be fine. Road conditions for I-80 over the Sierra Nevada - 1-800-427-ROAD. You just tell the robot "80" and you hear the road conditions. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:21 PM

324 posts, read 1,707,183 times
Wow you are going to love the weather in Santa Rosa once you get there! It only snows every couple years or so...or every 7! ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California